Rutgers coach Mike Rice abusing players

too funny

looked like practice in 60s & 70s when i played. never felt abused still don't.
did not see him even bruise anything....... but egos.
just wish we could have show boated a little bit but it was the bench if you eyed down someone even.
how life has changed

just wish we could have show boated a little bit but it was the bench if you eyed down someone even.
how life has changed

actually i'm into old school coaching as well but you're the first i've heard say this. i was hearing yesterday and this morning a few old players comment on the videos and say they've never seen some of this stuff. either way whether we like it or not we live in different times. i can tell you the one issue I would've had if i were one of those kids no matter what decade we lived in, and that coach fires a ball at my head like that, he would've ate the ball. as i've gotten older my temper is nowhere near where it once was but at that age i would've found a way to shove that basketball down the guys throat.

I'm just amazed that Rice actually thinks that abusive style of coaching could be successful. Most coaches explode occasionally, and that can get the player's attention. When it's more a part of their everyday coaching philosophy, you would think it would have the opposite effect....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually i'm into old school coaching as well but you're the first i've heard say this. i was hearing yesterday and this morning a few old players comment on the videos and say they've never seen some of this stuff.
maybe they like being on tv and they might have played on good teams too lol
wonder if Bobby Knight would be a honest reporter (real opinion )on this these days,he likes that pay check too.

. i can tell you the one issue I would've had if i were one of those kids no matter what decade we lived in, and that coach fires a ball at my head like that, he would've ate the ball. as i've gotten older my temper is nowhere near where it once was but at that age i would've found a way to shove that basketball down the guys throat.
hope my eyes were on Coach and they were and i would have ducked worked me.
our coaches were not paid and you knew they cared for us and taught us about life though sports.from 7- 9 grade. school was to poor to pay a coach.
in my day we would never go after a adult unless they would punch you pull a gun or knife.
heck a Nun or Female teacher could punch you(never seen that) but any teacher could give you a slap on side your head. it fixed that add every time. back then they were called day dreamers or a bit hyper.
if you were disciplined (wooden paddle was popular) at school you would be disciplined at home too. yes Sir No Ma'am all that stuff.
i'm much older now and if someone hit me with a Basketball today would test out all this MMA stuff i watch on them lol

Big deal I've seen worse. My coach in HS called me every name in the book (F'n F*****) must have been the nicest one). Kicked a few balls my way and once throw a chair and his keys at me. Water off a duck's back and I never thought about it again until right now. Coaches are payed to teach and win games, not cather to hurt feelings or egos.

Reminds me of a former Hoosier who bitched about Bobby Knight. Just look how his teams performed and how many excelled after Indiana...

I think society lost its balls with all this political correctness. Jackie Robinson had it bad...not these guys

Cheers, K

I agree all the PC stuff has created a culture of over sensitivity no doubt.

Reminds me of a former Hoosier who bitched about Bobby Knight. Just look how his teams performed and how many excelled after Indiana...

I think society lost its balls with all this political correctness. Jackie Robinson had it bad...not these guys

Cheers, K

That's the thing here: how many former players/coaches complained about Knight? We've never seen Knight's behavior in practice, but it most likely wasn't as bad as Rice's. Comparing Knight to Rice is ridiculous. Rice's 44-51 record (16-38 in the Big East) will probably be blamed in the end for his demise...

That's the thing here: how many former players/coaches complained about Knight? We've never seen Knight's behavior in practice, but it most likely wasn't as bad as Rice's. Comparing Knight to Rice is ridiculous. Rice's 44-51 record (16-38 in the Big East) will probably be blamed in the end for his demise...

good point. i really have no issue with the verbal stuff but the moment you kick me or fire balls at my head we have a problem. i was raised to respect my elders and that i've always done,but i was also raised to defend myself.rice crossed the line with some of this stuff.

how life has changed

Throwing balls a players heads, grabbing them by the shirt and pushing them off and pretending that he wants to punch the player...? BRUISED egos...? OK! :rolleyes:

Tell you one thing, I have coached kids in baseball up to high school and now I started coaching my son's 8-10 yr old basketball team. I have lost my cool, will not lie, but I have NEVER thought of grabbing, pushing, pretend that I want to punch him ....just because he did not make a play or followed directions.

And the day some coach even attempts to do that to one of my children...My foot will go so far up his ass that he will brushing my toes when he brushes his teeth!

Again, I have no problems with yelling, and in some cases screaming...put you do not put a hand on someone else you are being threaten...and even LESS for sports.

Throwing balls a players heads, grabbing them by the shirt and pushing them off and pretending that he wants to punch the player...? BRUISED egos...? OK! :rolleyes:

Jerry Sandusky now that's abuse

but would think the AD and others at the top there would show up out of blue once in awhile that's what most bosses do. some times daily

Big deal I've seen worse. My coach in HS called me every name in the book (F'n F*****) must have been the nicest one). Kicked a few balls my way and once throw a chair and his keys at me. Water off a duck's back and I never thought about it again until right now. Coaches are payed to teach and win games, not cather to hurt feelings or egos.

Cheers, K

And what exactly is that teaching? How to throw a temper tantrum? Instead of using hate speech while you physically and verbally abuse someone why not just try to get your point across in the same way every other member of society is expected to? I fail to see how a grown man calling a college kid a f***ing, fairy f****T is going to teach them anything.

Just because something may have happened in the past doesn't mean it is the right way to do things. I would hope that none of us would walk around at our place of work acting like that. Why should it be ok in a sports setting? I am pretty shocked that people are even trying to justify or defend his actions.

Again, I have no problems with yelling, and in some cases screaming...put you do not put a hand on someone else you are being threaten...and even LESS for sports.

I completely agree with this. If you want to yell at them yell about the play they missed or their lack of effort. I thought we learned not to resort to name calling in middle school. If that isn't effective enough make them run or do whatever conditioning you like. There is no need for the physical or verbal abuse he committed though.

Jerry Sandusky now that's abuse

but would think the AD and others at the top there would show up out of blue once in awhile that's what most bosses do. some times daily
Apparently the AD did show up. He does have many other sports to run, he can't be a babysitter. If you think someone needs that much monitoring, maybe they shouldn't be in that position... :eureka

Rice put on his best behavior whenever Pernetti would come watch practice, Murdock told ESPN. But when the athletic director turned his back, he said, the coach would became physical and degrading.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/03/sport/rutgers-video-attack/?hpt=hp_c2

How many folks here have actually played competitive sports in HS or College?

Am obvioulsy too old school on this. My hockey coach use to yell, bitch and throw water bottles, garbage cans, sticks and pucks... HS Bball coach would almost have a heart attack at every practice. The 'worse' "abuse" Ive seen is getting grabbed by the arm and told to wake up while running set plays. To me, there were coaches acting as coaches.

Please note the above were in competitive leagues and not pee-wee baseball. No one should yell at a group of 10 year old.

"And what exactly is that teaching?" ---> Accountability

Cheers, K

you can run into a pick and really suffer in the game. it's just too dangerous we should not let things like this happen to the Children. did you see the boys leg break this is a terrible sport all games canceled.

head shots with a ball is over the top these days with concussion info coming in.
the report on young female soccer players was shocking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts