RV Satellite Setup Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Chip,
I guess I have been lucky because I usually get values much better than 70. In fact, the figures I posted on the 103ca values thread were in San Antonio, TX using the method I described. I had 95 on the meters. But, even with those numbers the rain in San Antonio, TX and Westwego, LA did a number on the reception and I had 775 (or maybe 771) for periods of up to 5 to 10 minutes. Those storms were really something. Living primarily in So. Cal. where the rain is much lighter (even when we think it is heavy) that was quite an experience.

Again, I only mention this technique for RV applications where you have a tripod that is easy to access if you need to tweak something. So, far my only problem has been rain. I have been through some hefty winds with no problems what so ever. Time will tell.

On edit: Forget what I mentioned about the numbers on the 103ca signal levels. That was on another forum. Just know that I had good values (better than I have at home).
Bob

Last edited:
Good Morning!

I took my equipment (and a generator/inverter) to Fish Lake yesterday to see if I had learned anything through our discussions on the forum over the last few days. Since I was only planning on being there for a couple hours, I just set up in the back of my truck. All I can say is . . . "Can't thank you enough" for your help!

Once I had the equipment assembled and leveled, I was able to locate the signal from the correct satellite, and ended up with signal strength almost as strong as I have been able to get at home! Removed the signal meter from the coax circuit, reset the receiver, and the HD programming came right up! I didn't time it precisely, but it took no longer than 20 minutes from start of leveling to seeing HD on the TV.

While I was there and had it working, I watched a couple minutes of golf, and then switched channels several times to make sure that I wasn't leaving anything unchecked.

Your input has been invaluable, and you've made this a very positive experience for me. I hope I have the opportunity to help someone else down the road with the information that you've provided for me. Thanks again. Talk to you all later.

You just have to love jimbo. Of course he would say "Tear it down and set it up again". He got me laughing.

To Dave, glad to hear it all worked out for you. And thank you for taking the time to post your success. You are already contributing to helping others who will read this thread. Do enjoy!

You just have to love jimbo. Of course he would say "Tear it down and set it up again". He got me laughing.

To Dave, glad to hear it all worked out for you. And thank you for taking the time to post your success. You are already contributing to helping others who will read this thread. Do enjoy!
Practice, Practice, Practice .....

Reactions: BobStokesbary
:welcome to Satelliteguys bshephrd!

Check your messages, I (hopefully) answered your question there.

True. You do realize you are quoting a post from 16 months ago, yes?
You and others were just in it yesterday ... yes I realize it was an old thread, but if it's brought back to life and someone has a question or thought about it, I see no problem with it.

Yes it's an old thread resurrected because a newcomer wasn't familiar with how to start a new thread. There's no problem on your part, just teasing you a bit!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts