Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
Virginia Beach
Very frustrating
  • I have most expensive Genie service (4K/DVR) at home
  • I have 4 TV's/receivers at home
  • I have new RV with Winegard/T4 dish mounted on roof
  • I DO NOT have a receiver for RV yet
Been on phone for countless hours with DirecTV people (VERY frustrating) trying to get a receiver added to my account so I can activate new Winegard. I have a receiver I'm not using but it can't be activated.

Am advised that because I have the Genie 4K DVR system at home (where all the receivers "talk" to a main DVR) I can't add the RV to my existing account. Therefore, the only option I'm given with DirecTV is to create a NEW account for just the RV; WITH all the additional charges and another 2 year contract. Amazing.

Dish offers a month-month for RV's so Winegard recommends I switch service.

Is this REALLY my only 2 options? Pay an arm and a leg for a new DirecTV account and 2 year contract or go to Dish?

I really hope I'm wrong?

I really hope I'm wrong?

If you have the Genie 2 (HS17), then sorry to say you're NOT wrong.

As only RVU clients (STB types or RVU capable TVs) are allowed on the residential account.

So unfortunately, yes, you must setup a second RV account to activate the new receiver.

And believe me there have been lots of complaints about this limitation on the G2, but so far DIRECTV refuses to budge.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

As only RVU clients (STB types or RVU capable TVs) are allowed on the residential account.

So unfortunately, yes, you must setup a second RV account to activate the new receiver.

And believe me there have been lots of complaints about this limitation on the G2, but so far DIRECTV refuses to budge.

WOW....thanks for the feedback.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Jerry Cox!

At this point, the only solution, which isn't likely to happen, is to get Directv to swap out your HS17 for an HR54. The HR54 will work with additional receivers and dvrs while still processing 4k signals.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Jerry Cox!

At this point, the only solution, which isn't likely to happen, is to get Directv to swap out your HS17 for an HR54. The HR54 will work with additional receivers and dvrs while still processing 4k signals.
Curious.... and thanks

Why isn't it "likely" to happen? Seems like a great solution if it allows me to add a receiver for the RV on the same account. I guess I have to threaten to cancel (again)...sigh

Dish offers a month-month for RV's so Winegard recommends I switch service.

Just for full info Similar to Directv DISH does not allow their previous version of receivers (VIP) on an account in your home with the Hopper and Joeys mostly because they are wired differently. However in addition to Month to Month for your situation DISH does allow up to two VIP (or Wally) receivers to be added for RV use.

i think dish was similar when the hopper first came out, i could be wrong.
then enough pressure was applied that they allowed an exception for rv's

Curious.... and thanks

Why isn't it "likely" to happen? Seems like a great solution if it allows me to add a receiver for the RV on the same account. I guess I have to threaten to cancel (again)...sigh
Assuming you are under contract, it's rare for Directv to substitute different equipment if it isn't defective. If you talk to the loyalty department they may be able to accommodate you.

Reactions: Jimbo
Just for full info Similar to Directv DISH does not allow their previous version of receivers (VIP) on an account in your home with the Hopper and Joeys mostly because they are wired differently. However in addition to Month to Month for your situation DISH does allow up to two VIP (or Wally) receivers to be added for RV use.
I really would hate to have to go to Dish JUST for the RV....
Assuming you are under contract, it's rare for Directv to substitute different equipment if it isn't defective. If you talk to the loyalty department they may be able to accommodate you.
Is there an “easy” way to get to the “loyalty dept”? I spent 4 hours being passed around just to be told it wasn’t possible a little while ago.

I’d love to have the loyalty discussion.

I really would hate to have to go to Dish JUST for the RV....

Is there an “easy” way to get to the “loyalty dept”? I spent 4 hours being passed around just to be told it wasn’t possible a little while ago.

I’d love to have the loyalty discussion.
Just call and ask to be transferred to them. That's supposed to do it.

Or when you call just tell the AVR to "cancel service." And that will automatically transfer you to the Loyalty Dept.

And the reason it is difficult to go from a G2 to HR54 is that it's considered a "downgrade" and DIRECTV's computer system is programmed not to allow that.

Therefore it requires upper tier cus. ser. and someone with knowledge to get around this block in the system.

Reactions: Jimbo

UNLESS< he can talk them into letting him go BACK to the older system, even so at that point he has to have an older type recvr on the account like an HR24 or there abouts, something that can work independently that he could use in the RV.

Reactions: Jerry Cox
:welcome to Satelliteguys Darrell!

Advice about what?

Not allowing existing equipment along with the New Genie is another thing that seems pretty dumb.

I could see that from the standpoint of "we want to simplify things in the future by getting rid of all those outdated models". But it only makes sense if/when they allow you to have more than one Genie 2. Which I still believe will happen, eventually.

I could see that from the standpoint of "we want to simplify things in the future by getting rid of all those outdated models". But it only makes sense if/when they allow you to have more than one Genie 2. Which I still believe will happen, eventually.
What purpose would a second genie 2 be if they have to be in the same location ? (other than another hard drive)

What purpose would a second genie 2 be if they have to be in the same location ? (other than another hard drive)

It is kind of necessary for people who have more TVs than one HS17 can handle. And why would both Genie 2s have to always be at the same location? The "same location" has always been their policy, but they've never stopped people from taking a DVR/receiver on their RV, so people who want to take on tailgating (along with a client) could do so.

It is kind of necessary for people who have more TVs than one HS17 can handle. And why would both Genie 2s have to always be at the same location? The "same location" has always been their policy, but they've never stopped people from taking a DVR/receiver on their RV, so people who want to take on tailgating (along with a client) could do so.
I guess they could, but it seems like it would be more cumbersome to have to take the Genie2 and a client , vs just a recvr.

I didn't know there was a limit on clients it can handle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts