S9 OpenBox 8psk signals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
I had some time recently to update my channel lists and scanned in several 8psk programs on my 6 foot C-band dish. The signal strength is a bit on the weak side for many of these stations (around 30% quality but have a few around 54%). All the channels display video and have great audio. However all the 8psk channels have vertical bars across the screen as though you were looking through a ribbed glass shower door. You can make out the video but is rather anoying.

Is this the way the S9 Openbox normally displays S2 8psk channels, or is there something wrong with my receiver? I was also wondering about the signal strength and quality being an issue using this small 6 foot dish for C-band?

Curious to hear if anyone else has this problem.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone, love that Turkey!

Is this the way the S9 Openbox normally displays S2 8psk channels
No, That's a new one. What firmware version? How many vertical bars?? Using what output from the S9 to your TV??? Only on S2 8PSK???? Think it should be on all, no matter the cause. The S and S2 demod is, I believe, the same chip in the receiver*. All video goes thru 'the same pipe' to the TV. I dunno, at this time, I'm stumped. Have you tried a different 'pipe' or TV??
*unlike the Pansat9200 and similar that use an add on board.
Have FW ver. C2HS2-12-06-18:05E3CMT here. Composite (A&V) feeding a modulator feeding multiple Televisions. The ONLY "EFFECT" on video I have seen is the 'green tint' in my original FW. Then some A/V sync issues on some others.
Think a weak signal would/should only result in pixelation and drop-outs, not a 'shower curtain effect.

My dishnet subscr does that once in a great while when they give us the free channels like they are right now. Never seen it on my OpenBox S9?

Curious to hear if anyone else has this problem.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone, love that Turkey!

Hey..Walrus Long time that not see you..Where are you been?..
I have never seen this issue in my Openbox s9. I am watching some Stuff on 8psk very well on Nss806 at 40.5 satellite.
What satellite-Channel-Tps' ..You have this issues?

How about making a backup of your sats/channels and later do a factory reset and re-load the Firmware version and see if is clear up???

Thanks for the response guys. Just got back from the cabin after watching Nebraska/Iowa game. Still stuffed from all the Turkey and dressing yesterday!

Sounds like the issue with this box is unique. As far as posting a photo of screen shot, don't think it is needed. There are roughly 12 to 16 vertical out of sink or fogged bars that run across the screen. So you have sections of the picture that are perfectly clear in between.

The firmware currently installed is C2HS2-11-08 and is not what came with the box. The receiver did not have media player option when purchased so I installed the aformentioned version.

I have 2 other S9 boxes, one still has the original version with green tint issues. I thuoght about hooking that box up and checking to see if it to had this problem. But if others have S2 8psk working without difficulties than it has to be something with this receiver or the firmware loaded. As to any specific transponder or satellite, not relevent as this problem is associated with every S2 8psk channel scanned on all the satellites. My Combat and Pursuit TV on 87W are just a few example channels I can think of right off that have this problem.

Does anyone have an S9 box loaded with a firmware version including media player that doesn't have the 8psk play issue? Planning on backing up my channels, then changing firmware or reflashing the same version. However, real pain to enter all the diseqc antenna positions over again. Will have to document first all the encoder positions listed on my positioner box.

I know it isn't a ton of work, burt getting lazy lately, must be old age creeping up on me. Or maybe the cold weather today, 73 degrees yesterday- 30 degrees today!

!@#$$ What the @#$%^!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before I posted I just went in the next room to confirm the channel names and confirm the number of vertical bars on the TV screen.------------------------------

OK! I took this receiver out to the cabin last night so I could watch videos I had on a usb stick that I plug in the back. Left the receiver out in the car overnight and just now plugged it back in at home while typing this reply. Two minutes ago I selected sat 87W and switched to the channels I have been having problems with. Everything is perfect now, no bars and same signal and quality as two days ago. The only thing different is the box is still freezing to the touch as I brought it in the house about 15 minutes ago. Current outside temp about 30 degrees.

This might be a heat problem, for the most part it is always left on 24/7. Leaving it out in the cold overnight was a first for me.

Have to wait for it to warm up again and see if the problem returns.

Last edited:
Planning on backing up my channels, then changing firmware or reflashing the same version. However, real pain to enter all the diseqc antenna positions over again
Your Misc Files > TP_PROG backup should also save your antenna positions. Mine does.
Could be heat related. Maybe a capacitor ready to fail.
My S9 is ON 24/7 also, and have not had any heat problems.(In the basement, little added heat, just enough to keep pipes from freezing) It's only failure has been the polyfuse(LNB Fuse) but has always run cool. Hardly any heat noticed.

Just remembered some discussion that related heat to FW version. Don't know if that is applicable to your situation or not. I also tried the FW version you have there, In my notes, it didn't work out, and I reloaded the green tint FW.
I'd suggest loading a newer version.
FW version I now run, C2HS2-12-06-18:05E3CMT, was discussed here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/287429-new-openbox-firmware.html

FaT Air-

Does the 2-12-06 firmware have media player options? The firmware I have installed has a freeze lock up issue. Every once in awhile, usually every other day you have to power off the box in the back and reboot. Does the C2HS2-12-06-18:05E3CMT firmware ever lock up or freeze a channel?

As to the 8psk problem, untill a few days ago I hadn't ever scanned in one of these channels. Wasn't until I scanned an update of channels (something I hadn't done in over a year) that I scanned in many S2 8psk channels, and all had the vertical bars.

The room the receiver is in is usually cool, and the box never feels hot. I quess I will just have to wait and see if the vertical bars come back.

As far as the diseqc position settings, I have had some problems reloading from the usb stick. It doesn't always work, but the channels and sat list is always correct.

If I remember correct, the FW version you have is one of the first with the media player. All later releases have had media player.
As far as the diseqc position settings, I have had some problems reloading from the usb stick. It doesn't always work, but the channels and sat list is always correct.
Might be another reason they came out with updates after that. I think, can't remember for sure, but think some very early FW's TP_Prog file didn't work completely with later FW. That is maybe why your ch list didn't save the positions. Think I ran into that when upgrading from the green tint (original) FW. From your current version to this one I am pretty sure you're 'good to go'.

Have been running this FW since April. Got no real complaints. (But wish it has a few features like the Pansat 3500 like seeing the channel while in the channel edit function. [I know - waa waa] and it still reverts to "ALL CHANNELS after recording, waa-waa2)
Haven't seen a channel lock up, but remember having to reboot it once, for what reason I can't remember. It was quite a while ago and didn't make a note of it because it's not reoccurred.
Backup TP_PROG. load new FW, reboot. Load your TP_PROG, reboot.

Can't remember if your menu is vertical on screen left or across the top.
This FW is across the top (ah-la S10)
If default video out is PAL and you're unable to see it:
S9 FW Menu items vertical on left
MENU,
DOWN(Twice),
ENTER,
DOWN(Once),
ENTER,
LEFT(or Right)* until picture appears
.(*Do not hold. Press and release, wait a few seconds, Repeat)

S10 FW (Menu items horizontal across top)

Menu - right (Twice) - OK - Down - Right, wait, repeat until video appears.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)