S9 stuck on 23 Volts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kodaz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 22, 2010
North East PA
My openbox is stuck on that voltage no matter v or h.

The openbox will not switch (diseqc) anymore either. Checked lnb settings, I disable the Diseqc Settings for testing and lnb coax hanging in front of my computer so that i could check the output with my voltmeter. I also tried different firmwares, no help.

If you use a bandstacked lnb and connect direct to that bird, you can scan and watch tv.

There are many threads with openbox component change out parts in the forum. would any of them be whats wrong with mine? or does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks

Don't think it's anything already covered in the 'S' series 'fixes' so far*. Sounds like the regulator in charge of LNB voltage is shorted input to output. Have a feeling the diseqc and probably the 22khz is also placed on the control line of the regulator.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but I didn't look very 'deep' into my S9 when replacing the thermister (LNB fuse).
*weak S10 power supplies and S9&10 LNB fuse(thermister)

There is a voltage regulator that cuts 24v down to 18v or 13v.
I believe it also modulates the LNB voltage to make 22khs for diseqc commands.
It's probably got a metal tab, & mounted to a little vertical heat sink in the middle of the board.
Alternately, it could be bolted to the frame,along the edge of the board.
I'd give odds that regulator is smoked.
If not, then one of the surrounding components.

Somewhere to start looking.

sent from iPhone 4

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/277334-how-test-openbox-s-9-lnb.html

in that thread- Vertical channel gives -
terminal 1- 22.6 V
2-24.7 V
3-24.7

Horizontal channel gives-
terminal 1-23.2 V
2-24.8 V
3-24.8 V

The center terminal resister measures 219 ohms in circuit
power supply volts matched up good
0 v
24.7 v
12.1 v
0 v
5 v
5 v
I did not change the thermistor as i seem to be overpowered, not under powered.
the voltage regulator looks suspect, does anybody have a number for it so i dont have to yank it and try to cross reference it?
note- chip reads
ARTSCHIP LM317T 1022C
Will try those numbers first
thanks

Last edited:
SUCCESS!! In what was the worst soldering job of my life , cause i heat sinked each terminal and my pencil is too fat as are my fingers, The voltage dropped to 18.5 and 14.
My openbox is FULLy Functional again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! switching is also back on line!!!!!!!!!
I am going to be completely impossible to live with in my house for at least 2 days!!!
Well, for tonight at least... i am going to use it and see if it holds up.

now lets see, where did my wife run and hide at...:behindsofa:

Woohoo.wmv - YouTube

Don't bump your head going through doorways. JK ;)
BTW, which vendor did you settle on for this v.reg. & was there a minimum purchase?
Congratulations!

Last edited:
I'll bet 85% of FTA receiver failures are covered by half dozen problems.
Always a good idea to ask here, and be pointed to the #1 most likely.

Though, that regulator really shouldn't fail...
Kinda makes ya wonder if someone got hold of a substandard batch...?
Doubt you'll ever have the new regulator fail.
If so, let me know. ;)

posted by iPhone

Congratulation.
Could you post some pictures so we can see where on the receiver this part is located?
And where did you end up buying the 317LM.

Congratulation.
Could you post some pictures so we can see where on the receiver this part is located?
And where did you end up buying the 317LM.

post number 4 gives Pixl's troubleshooting link that i used to find the problem.

i used Brex's part number although i found it thru Digikey.

Cost slightly more then the one i had found, but the shipping was still 2X as much as the part.
Cost me about 6 dollars for all.

I suspected the same part on mine. good to see that fixed it. Let me know where I can order one or two from. My testing results are the same you have. I believe it was storm related. Took out my gbox, one HDMI port on TV and the S9 problem. Still hope tho get the gbox working. It was a strange chain of events. Good work!

I did not buy the radio shack one, i couldnt say, but i think you can check the radio shack online. i ordered mine online thru digikey

took about 6 days to get to me.

Guys, it wasnt hard to find the part, it was harder to id it as the problem.

I suspected the same part on mine. good to see that fixed it. Let me know where I can order one or two from. My testing results are the same you have. I believe it was storm related. Took out my gbox, one HDMI port on TV and the S9 problem. Still hope tho get the gbox working. It was a strange chain of events. Good work!

The thanks goes to Pixl. he did all the work, i simply heisted it for myself and followed up on it.

post number 4 gives Pixl's troubleshooting link that i used to find the problem.

i used Brex's part number although i found it thru Digikey.

Cost slightly more then the one i had found, but the shipping was still 2X as much as the part.
Cost me about 6 dollars for all.

Thank you very much, I used the link and pixle's post and I seen what you talked about it.
Very interesting.
Thank you kodaz.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)