SA 8300 & UPS Problem

joethedude

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
I have the Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR (Non-HD) and a UPS.

The problem is that when ever the UPS is triggered by brownouts or surges, it doesn't work properly.
However, when i test it out in normal conditions (By unpluging it from the AC Outlet) it worksproperly. O_O

I have tested 3 diffrent UPS and it is the same with all 3.

I'm begining to thing that the problem lies in improper grounding of the Coax itself, and was wondering if this could be the case.

My Setup:
ups_help.gif

If so, should I:
A) Get a UPS (w/coax protection) for the DVR; and a standard Power Strip (w/coax protection) for the non-dvr box?
b) Get a standard Power Strip (w/coax protection) and place it between the Splitter and the Wall Outlet?

Would either A or B help?

Edited to add: My Dish Tivo doesn't have this problem.
If it wasn't for The Anime Network On Demand, I wouldn't bother keeping TW, but that's another story...

Do you live in a house or a apartment?

If you live in a house the coax line coming from the tap to your splitter should be grounded either on the outside of the house or at the splitter it's self provided it's in a basement. This ground wire should be ran to a cold water pipe, or ground rod driven into the ground.

If you live in a apartment the line coming into the house is already grounded at the tap location normally mounted on the side of the apartment building or in the ground. So you should not have to worry about grounding the outlet.

As far as using a surge protector with coax protection I would not recomend it because they tend to lose signal much like a splitter. To much signal loss and your digital boxes will stop working correctaly. (such as on demand not working or premium channels not showing up or freezing up.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)