SA replacement set-top box STINKS!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wvjbl

Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
I've had iO TV for 3+ years, with two Sony set-top boxes. Had some gripes about the boxes (loud noise, slow channel changing...) but the picture and sound quality was outstanding. Well last week one of the Sony boxes went belly-up, so I took it back to the local Cablevision office. The new box they gave me is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200. After I hooked it up, it is obvious that the video quality *stinks* w.r.t. the Sony box. The Sony has vastly superior picture. With this new SA box, the picture is less sharp, more fuzzy, you can see the "pixels" / digital-ness of the picture. I called iO TV support and they said that I can't get one of the older Sony boxes. They are giving out only the newer SA boxes. I plan to bring this box in and see if I can take a look at picture of this vs. another unit of the same type, just in case the issue is specific with this particular box. But if it's the same with any of these SA boxes, there's no way I'm paying the big $$ for this crappy picture. I'll either drop back to regular cable (if that is even still possible) or go with a dish.

(BTW, I do not currently have nor do I want/need HDTV.)

Any comments, hints, tips and advice are most welcome!

BTW I tried both S-Video and coax connections, made sure everything was connected well, etc. Didn't matter.

welcome to the site. glad you are here. you might have a bad box. if your replacment does the same thing, it just might be a poor cable receiver.

look forward to seeing you around the site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)