Sabathia a done deal! Signs with the Yankees!!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
According to the NY Post, he has agreed to the terms of the $140 that was put in the table almost 1 month ago!

CC SABATHIA PICKS YANKEES

By JOEL SHERMAN

BIG MONEY: CC Sabathia, with a $140 million offer on the table, was expected to meet with Yankee GM Brian Cashman yesterday for the third straight day, raising hopes he'll be pitching in The Bronx next spring.

Last updated: 7:06 am

December 10, 2008

LAS VEGAS – CC Sabathia is not going to play on the West Coast. He is not going to play in the National League. CC Sabathia is going to be a Yankee, The Post has learned exclusively.

After three straight days of face-to-face meetings between GM Brian Cashman and Sabathia, the big lefty decided he wants to spend the next six years of his career as a Yankee. The decision came late last night after Cashman flew to see Sabathia at his home in San Francisco. By the time the meeting was concluded, Sabathia had informed the YankeesNew York Yankees that he had made his decision to call New York his baseball home, the Post has learned.

There are still minor hurdles to finalize, notably that Sabathia must pass a physical. But after so much belief that Sabathia was stalling because he wanted to avoid New York, he agreed to the largest pitching contract in major league history, at least $140 million.

CC SABATHIA PICKS YANKEES - New York Post

While I'm glad the Hefty Lefty chose to stay in the AL so I can keep better track of his career, I'm sure as hell not liking how the Yankees suddenly have starting pitching. (And I'm afraid this is only the beginning).

The '09 season is sure going to be a VERY competitive year in the AL.

Good luck C.C. (Just not when we face you). Thanks for the memories in Cleveland.

They just announced this on O&A too. I can't believe this isn't on ESPN.com.

Something tells me this deal is a doomsday waiting to happen. A lot of big guys who sign with the Yankees nowadays seem to just stumble when they come to NY. Maybe it'll be different in the new stadium and a new owner, but I doubt it. I figured he was going to head out west.

Something tells me this deal is a doomsday waiting to happen. A lot of big guys who sign with the Yankees nowadays seem to just stumble when they come to NY. Maybe it'll be different in the new stadium and a new owner, but I doubt it. I figured he was going to head out west.

He'll be all right. Sabathia's just entering his prime. The Yankees should be VERY excited about this signing. Adding a new ACE is a hell of a way to open new Yankee Stadium in '09!

As much as I HATE all NEW YORK TEAMS....I LOVE when something happens in NY because the tabs in NY are just the best!

Wonder why he met with the Giants yesterday then if he had already accepted the offer from the Yankees.

YIKES! I just remembered that the Indians play the Yankees in the home opener at new Yankee Stadium this year! (Thur. April 16th).

How fun would it be if the Indians beat Sabathia and the Yanks to spoil their opener?! :D

YIKES! I just remembered that the Indians play the Yankees in the home opener at new Yankee Stadium this year! (Thur. April 16th).

How fun would it be if the Indians beat Sabathia and the Yanks to spoil their opener?! :D
Taking fan allegiance out of it, how funny would it be if CC pitched a perfect game that day?

Once the Hefty Lefty signs, the total package will be seven years and $160 million -- by far the biggest contract for any pitcher in

Among all players, it will trail [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3115"]Alex Rodriguez Stats, News, Photos - New York Yankees - ESPN[/ame]'s $252 million, 10-year agreement with Texas, A-Rod's $275 million, 10-year deal with the Yankees and [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3246"]Derek Jeter Stats, News, Photos - New York Yankees - ESPN[/ame]'s $189 million, 10-year contract with the Yankees, ending up in the same area as [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=2974"]Manny Ramirez Stats, News, Photos - Los Angeles Dodgers - ESPN[/ame]'s $160 million, eight-year contract with the Red Sox.

Agreed, buy I fear the Yanks ain't done just yet.

Word is they are also courting Sheets, Burnett and Lowe.

They will most likely get at least one of those three...hopefully Lowe. The Yankees felt badly burned by making the mistake of declining a trade to the Twins for Santana that would have cost them Hughes or Kennedy, Cabrera, and perhaps Cano. And of course a gigantic sum of money for the new contract.

A year ago it seemed like a great idea to do what everyone has accused them of not doing, holding onto their young talent. Well, a year later, those guys are still young, but not quite as talented anymore. And Santana pitched well right in the Yankees' backyard.

With the uncertaintly of Wang, Joba, and Pettite, and the retirement of Mussina, the team feels like it needs two front-end pitchers. Being somewhat fiscally responsible and passing on Santana and Matsuzaka hasn't worked out so well the last couple of years.

I'm actually surprised with Giambi's contract coming off the books that they're not making a play for Texeira as well. Nick Swisher sounds like a nice guy, but he's certainly not Texeira, or even Giambi. Looks like they're going to use all their funding on starting pitching this winter.

Sandra

With all the money still being given out, I dont want to hear about how the economy is "hurting" owners. They seem to say that and to remidy the situation they dont modify new contract dollars given they just seem to stick it to the fans.

Though the sigining does make sense as the yankees pitching was not very good last year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)