Sabres games on Dish???

SabresFan

Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Livonia NY
I was reading an old thread (from 2007) and saw that the Sabres games used to be available on the ALT channels. Is this still the case? MSG only shows Rangers games for me :( And because it's considered a local game, it's blacked out on Center Ice. I checked the channel guide on the ALT channels and no games are showing up for tonight. Is that because it's too early? Can anyone confirm that they have been able to watch the Sabres on Dish? Thanks!!

It's because the ALTs you were seeing Sabres games on are still MSG. They're just alternates.

So.... like me .... NO SABRES FOR YOU!

My D* install is the 14th unless it gets moved up. I'm going to miss 4 games. But then I'll get to watch them in HD when I do get them back.

No sabres games whether you have NHLCI or not for now. MSG and Dish are in dispute. MSG holds the exclusive rights for the sabres games unless they are on the national broadcasters of nbc or versus.

The only other possible way to get sabres games without switching to D* or TW, is to move to an area, where the sabres are not the home team for that dma and then sub to nhlci to get the other teams feed. Most likely you would be out of luck in getting Rick and Harry to broadcast the games though.

Just a quick question...what is D*? I can't get cable, too far out in the country, so what are my options really? Help please! I'm so bummed :(

I see on other parts of the forum that you can "move" to get different channels. Is this really possible? Although it would be nice to get Rick broadcasting, I can put the TV on mute and listen to the calls on the radio. I just want to see the game! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I see on other parts of the forum that you can "move" to get different channels. Is this really possible? Although it would be nice to get Rick broadcasting, I can put the TV on mute and listen to the calls on the radio. I just want to see the game! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Sabresfan,

You can change your service address, although this will also change which Local Channels you get from Dish Network. I have a solution for tonight's game until I get DirecTV installed (on Monday or Tuesday there was an equipment shortage at the dealer). You can watch any NHL Game on the internet at p2p sites. Checkout this website (click on tonight's link and you will get multiple links to be able to watch the game).

The other way to get the game is by paying for NHL Gamecenter LIVE. My problem with that is I'm already paying Dish for MSG, which they can't provide (BTW I have AT250, Platinum HD, and the Multsports pack) and I'm getting less channels than I should, so now that Dish is providing me with all the RSN's that Dish now has access to is redundant, as I already pay for them, and I can't get any service credit pi$$#$ me off.

John

I don't mind not getting my local channels. Will Dish be upset? Anyone have a recommendation on where to "move" to? How far away can I move? I need to be out of the Sabres "home" zone, so maybe I can move to Long Island? Do I need just a zip code, or does someone have to verify? Or is my best option really to cancel my Dish service (I've only had it for 3.5 months, so the cancellation fees will be pretty hefty I imagine but I am willing to pay those) and switch to D*?

Last edited:
I don't mind not getting my local channels. Will Dish be upset? Anyone have a recommendation on where to "move" to? How far away can I move? I need to be out of the Sabres "home" zone, so maybe I can move to Long Island? Do I need just a zip code, or does someone have to verify?

Sabresfan,

You need an actual physical Address (House #, Street, City, State, and Zip Code). Be sure it is not a business address, or an address that already has Dish Network service.

Once you change your service address outside of the Sabres exclusive use area, you will not be blacked out of the Center Ice feed, Center Ice is in Free Preview until around October 23rd.

John

I could use the address of one of my relatives, but can I get in trouble for that? What are the implications of doing this? Will I still be able to get service at my house if something goes wrong with the equipment?

I really do emphasize with the sports fans. In Cleveland we are a bit lucky, Lebron James doesn't play for the Cavs anymore, so there is little reason to want to watch them play. If James did, Northeast Ohio would also be in an uproar, as only about one quarter or fewer games are available otherwise. I grew up a Habs fan, so my team has always been out of market.

I don't understand why Center Ice is blacking out the local feed for a local team. I understand that if you are in Buffalo that they'd block out the Carolina feed if the Sabres played the Hurricanes, but they should still allow one to watch the Empire Sports (or whatever it is these days) feed.

Sabresfan,

You can change your service address, although this will also change which Local Channels you get from Dish Network. I have a solution for tonight's game until I get DirecTV installed (on Monday or Tuesday there was an equipment shortage at the dealer). You can watch any NHL Game on the internet at p2p sites. Checkout this website (click on tonight's link and you will get multiple links to be able to watch the game).

John

Don't know ifit was stripped, but no url was displayed.

One more question JohnL...where does the Sabres exclusive use area end?
If you wanted to watch the Sabres with a NY address you would need to have a NYC/Long Island area address with the Center Ice package. You could "move" to an address down there and you would also get your locals from NYC. The NYC HD locals are on a spotbeam but you should be able to get them where you live. I am able to receive them and I am north of you near Lake Ontario. You would also receive the Rangers,Islanders and Devils as your "home" teams instead of the Sabres. If you have a relative down there you could use their address and leave your billing address the same. Just do an online chat or call up Dish and tell them you "moved" and that there is a dish setup already so you don't need a new setup. If you need service in the future you can just "move" back again. To make sure you can receive the NYC locals use your remote and hit menu, 6,1,1 and check satellite 61.5 and spotbeam #15. I usually only get a low signal of 12-18 but it comes in 95% of the time.

How quick do they move you?
Like if I move when I get home from work today, will I get the NYC thing done before game time?
What happens to the guide data for my OTA channels?
Isn't Center Ice on free preview right now?

Would I move back before terminating service on the 14th? Or wouldn't it matter?

How quick do they move you?
Like if I move when I get home from work today, will I get the NYC thing done before game time?
What happens to the guide data for my OTA channels?
Isn't Center Ice on free preview right now?

Would I move back before terminating service on the 14th? Or wouldn't it matter?
You could call Dish up and before you are off the phone you will have your NYC programing. I don't believe your OTA guide would work. Center Ice is free until Oct 24. You wouldn't have to move back before you cancel your service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)