Sadly Disconnected Dish Network service

afrancis99

Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Long Island
After 7 I just cancelled my Dish Network service. I say sadly because I loved the customer service and I was pretty satisfied with the pricing and the service quality. However I could not longer live with out local sports (Yes, SNY and MSG).

Drew

If one is a local sports fan, that is a pretty big thing to be missing in New York. It is surprising that both sides (Dish and those Networks) seem to be fine with it. Hope you enjoy your new service.

I am sorry to hear this. As others have stated I can't blame you. I honestly can't figure out which direction DISH is trying to go here. I keep hearing lately that Joe Clayton wants more "affluent" customers. Well, sports fans tend to be more "affluent" and the "affluent" tend to want multiple fancy DVRs and HD MRV. I realize that the XIP receivers will be out "soon" but with the receiver fees they charge for the current lineup of DVRs I can't see them attracting "affluent" people with the XIPs either if they have outrageous fees. Lack of HD RSNs and the channel drops also tend to run off the "affluent."

I just hope DISH chooses to go the right direction and not the wrong direction. Overall I am satisfied with DISH but I still can't help but be dismayed at receiver fees and a little weary about which channel will be dropped next.

On the plus side, contrary to recent reports, I have had great CSR experiences with DISH, but then again I only use the chat and when the DIRT team arrived I only go to them now. No telling how the phone CSRs are but judging on reports they're pretty sub-par.

I want DISH to do well, and again hope that they hear out their customers instead of focusing on just increasing revenue.

I'm tired of playing the guessing game. Is tonight's game in hd or not? Kinda sucks when you DVR the game to come home to the check back screen. I called to get prices for D* today. I'm really considering switching.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm tired of playing the guessing game. Is tonight's game in hd or not? Kinda sucks when you DVR the game to come home to the check back screen. I called to get prices for D* today. I'm really considering switching.
How does that work? Are there separate channels for the HD feed and the SD feed? I know if I truly didn't want to miss the game, I would record both the HD feed and the SD feed as a backup (timers permitting).

dare2be said:
How does that work? Are there separate channels for the HD feed and the SD feed? I know if I truly didn't want to miss the game, I would record both the HD feed and the SD feed as a backup (timers permitting).[/QUOTE

The channel number is the same however the HD channel will have HD after it. Depending on how you have your guide set u may only see HD and SD only channels.
RSN's show both HD and SD regardless since HD is only turned on during games. (at least that is what is supposed to happen but doesn't in all cases)

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I am sorry to hear this. As others have stated I can't blame you. I honestly can't figure out which direction DISH is trying to go here. I keep hearing lately that Joe Clayton wants more "affluent" customers. Well, sports fans tend to be more "affluent" and the "affluent" tend to want multiple fancy DVRs and HD MRV. I realize that the XIP receivers will be out "soon" but with the receiver fees they charge for the current lineup of DVRs I can't see them attracting "affluent" people with the XIPs either if they have outrageous fees. Lack of HD RSNs and the channel drops also tend to run off the "affluent."

I just hope DISH chooses to go the right direction and not the wrong direction. Overall I am satisfied with DISH but I still can't help but be dismayed at receiver fees and a little weary about which channel will be dropped next.

On the plus side, contrary to recent reports, I have had great CSR experiences with DISH, but then again I only use the chat and when the DIRT team arrived I only go to them now. No telling how the phone CSRs are but judging on reports they're pretty sub-par.

I want DISH to do well, and again hope that they hear out their customers instead of focusing on just increasing revenue.

I agree with you............the supposedly more affulent customers that they are seeking will want HD, especially their locals. I know in my area, all locals are in HD yet, Dish still carries 3 of them in SD instead of HD.

I feel your pain, I really do. I keep giving it another year to see if by some miracle Dish will get CSN so I can watch my beloved Phillies. Hell I'd settle for SD. We get nothing here in Philly. Still though, no Phillies, No MLB network. So I guess this will finally be my last year with Dish unless by some miracle they do get CSN. If not my only option is Communistcast. I'd even go for FIOs but Comcast blocks them from certain areas due to their deal of giving them CSN.

After 7 I just cancelled my Dish Network service. I say sadly because I loved the customer service and I was pretty satisfied with the pricing and the service quality. However I could not longer live with out local sports (Yes, SNY and MSG).

Drew

I just recently left E* because of LOS issues. I was sad to leave.

I am now with cable - the picture quality is much better than E* and I get FSWisconsin in HD full time. The Brewers games are always on the same channel and in HD. DVR and program guide are not as good as E*. I have multi room DVR - the secondary unit is HD, unlike the 722k.

When I called Dish to cancel they never asked why. I have received one offer to return to Dish - $10 off for 12 months and free HD for life (which I already had). They claim it is a $370 value - according to my calculation it is a $120 value.

I am happy with my current setup. However, I will not rule out returning to E* in the future if I would have LOS and I would get FSWisconsin (not FSNorth) in HD full time.

I don't blame you either. I think its BS that it seems like DISH Network has no desire to come to terms with sports networks in the NY area.

Literally its impossible to sell DISH Network in your area if you need your sports networks.

Be thankful you have a place to get your RSN. I live in Philly and despite the change to the terrestrial loophole that Comcast has exploited for all these years I still don't have acces to any RSN. So all you peolpe who gripe about temporarily losing your RSN or not getgting it in HD atleast you have something.

Ron

Right now I'm loving direct tv. I watched the Yankee game on yes and a street ball game on msg hd! I'm glad I made the switch!

I too am a former Dish subscriber. I had absolutely no issues with Dish except for the fact that I could not watch any of my local teams. No Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Knicks, Nets, Yankees or Mets! When they did carry SNY sometimes the Met games would be in HD and sometimes not. I was also a Center Ice subscriber and had to go through the nightly guessing game of whether the game I wanted to watch would be broadcast in HD. Dish would only broadcast 2 or 3 games a night in HD. I finally had had enough and moved over to Direct TV in April. Now I have all of my local teams, every game in HD. I am a happy camper.

I don't blame you either. I think its BS that it seems like DISH Network has no desire to come to terms with sports networks in the NY area..

It was because we had no access to our RSN that we dumped cable for satellite years ago. And even though we would love to have AMC and BBCA in HD, the passion for having our RSNs in HD (as well as GOL TV and the UEFA soccer channels) far outweigh the additional HD channels we would gain if we switched from DirecTV to DISH.

I just left Dish today and I really wish it hadn't been necessary. But my adult son that lives with me now, wanted the NFL ST because he has a need to see every game the San Diego Chargers play and that is the only way it was going to happen. For me, Dish had all I needed.

I'll miss the better guide but gain the better search functionality, and miss AMC/BBCA in HD but really there is only 5 shows between the two that I care about. I will miss the customer service options that Dish has. From the D.I.R.T. team to online chat to online program adding/subtracting it is just a much better way to deal with.

One thing that makes me have to eat a very small crow is the HD PQ. I had said that D*'s is no better than E*'s to my eyes, and for everything but sports, I stand by that. But the sports I watched over the last 2 days had HD PQ that is much better than E*'s. As to the SD, well let's just say that D*'s SD isn't as bad as I remember, but it isn't as good as E*'s by a quite a margin.

When I called to cancel, the experience was very pleasant. Of course, E* made an offer to get me to stay, that was expected, but it wasn't a long drawn out process and the woman I talked to was very professional and made a couple of good sales points as she processed the cancellation. I will say that the one thing that irritates in this is being charged to ship back the receivers. I knew it was coming, but I have always felt that the 2 times you want to leave a good taste in the customer's mouth is when they start and when they leave. This doesn't do anything but make a customer irritated imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)