Samsung 42" RP went nuts

Just_Me

Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
NE Ga
Don't know if this is the right forum, but here it goes.

I have a Samsung HCN4226W Rear Projection that was showing a fine picture when it all of the sudden collapsed to this.

copy1.jpg

The right half of the screen is completely black and who knows what's shown on the rest.

Any suggestions on what the problem may or may not be and the cost of repairs, or should I junk it and buy new?

Thanks

Always buy SONY TVS,i have 65"HDTV Rear Projection , i bought it in 2004 still have the pic like i bought in the first day even better ..i heard people have alots problem like this after some years with samsung tvs in any models.. they just good for few years only..they peace of sh*t..
Always go SONY, i have few of them they old or new ,pic perfect !SONYS tvs is the best & last alot longer!

trash it..those big old Rear Projection TVS like u have and i do have one too ..if u wanna fix it cost alot, just sell it in C.L and put some more money on top and get LCD 1080p
anyway good luck and again buy sony brand

Always buy SONY TVS,i have 65"HDTV Rear Projection , i bought it in 2004 still have the pic like i bought in the first day even better ..i heard people have alots problem like this after some years with samsung tvs in any models.. they just good for few years only..they peace of sh*t..
Always go SONY, i have few of them they old or new ,pic perfect !SONYS tvs is the best & last alot longer!

trash it..those big old Rear Projection TVS like u have and i do have one too ..if u wanna fix it cost alot, just sell it in C.L and put some more money on top and get LCD 1080p
anyway good luck and again buy sony brand

Glad you're happy with Sony. Personally, I've had up and down luck over the years with Sony TVs. I took a look a couple of weeks ago at LCD panels that had LED backlights that would adjust for deeper blacks. The Samsung was about $5k. The Sony was over $8k and I felt the pictures were comparable. Sonys do command a premium price and after living with several, I question if they are worth the difference.

To the OP. I think many of us are avoiding answering because it sounds expensive, and probably not worth it. I do have one thought, but it may be a long shot. The problem could be a dropped mirror. You might try to open the back and take a look. You really have nothing to lose. As others have mentioned, the next most likely component is the light engine, and that will cost more to replace than a new comparable TV.

Always buy SONY TVS...
This could happen to any brand. I love Sony, but the light engine in my Grand Wega died in the last month of the extended warranty. That's in addition to the lamp which died after just 1 year. I was fortunate to have the extended warranty still in effect!

Welcome to the forum, Just_Me! Sorry about your problem. I suspect it's time for you to shop for a new TV set...

This could happen to any brand. I love Sony, but the light engine in my Grand Wega died in the last month of the extended warranty. That's in addition to the lamp which died after just 1 year. I was fortunate to have the extended warranty still in effect!

Welcome to the forum, Just_Me! Sorry about your problem. I suspect it's time for you to shop for a new TV set...

Gotta agree with Ilya...Time to get a new TV. Just like Ilya, my Sony 42" Grand Wega is dying a slow death. I've got splotchy dark spots on the screen and have had to replace the lamp twice in the last three years. I've been told (and have read) that the splotches are a result of the optical block going bad. It's out of warranty and will cost around $1100 to replace.

No more projection LCD HDTVs for me! :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)