SAMSUNG BDP2400 BD-Java compliant!

Well now, not to be fickle, but maybe this is what I should get, rather than the PS3. Looks like this will have better upconversion. As a November release, it should be 1.1 compliant, and with an ethernet port, -live certainly seems likely (they don't mention how much memory it has). But it doesn't seem to be able to do DVD +R/RW or DVD Audio (file that under "what else could you want ;)). And I gather it doesn't have analog output connectors.

And I thought this model died.

Of course, there aren't 8 free movies- but maybe 5.

I'll have to consider this option very carefully, it looks like a real competitor.

Since after October all new BD players released must at least be 1.1 compliant and since this product streets in November a guess would be that it would be 1.1 compliant. Of course there will be naysayers until the product streets but right now this particular product is looking real nice.

I thought it was going to street in late October. I'm sure they will ship one to some retailer in October just to get around that date. Or maybe they will push back the date at next week's CEDIA (?) show.

Either way, I'm still curious to see if it will be 1.1 or not. No mention of dual video processors in that spec on that website.

And now, for $400 more, there's the UD-P5000 with Blu-ray and HD DVD capability, to consider. Funny how I wouldn't consider the $1,000 player, but when considering the $600, got to wonder if it's worth it for $400 more.

Of course, I could put that $400 toward a new receiver, and later get an HD DVD player, if that became advisable, and the receiver could do all the switching to feed my TVs single HDMI input.

Or get a PS3! !sadroll

This coming from a bluray admirer- I don't think a lot of the studios will be willing to utilize the 1.1 benefits due to most of the current installed base don't have access to these features. I doubt they will put it it many disks any time soon.

This was Sony's main flub and I doubt it is rectifiable. It will be like infinifilm enhanced titles for DVD. Without wide player support you won't gain studio support for the features.

In the end who knows.

Huh? There is no reason not to use 1.1 features. Those options just don't appear on non-1.1 machines. Plus, the vast, overwhelming majority of Blu-ray players already sold will be able to play profile 1.1 features- the PS3 can and no doubt will be upgraded to 1.1. Profile 1.1 machines are announced now and sales of dedicated BD players are just beginning to ramp up.

FYI, the 2400 & 5000 Samsungs are not on the list of "5 free BDs" eligible players. This is going by the ad in the current Sound & Vision. But then, that offer expires 9/30 anyway, long before these ship.

SO- buy a PS3 now, get 8 (3+5) free movies via Amazon, or wait till November and probably get no free movies? But get a dedicated player that probably upconverts DVDs better. Maybe CEDIA will stir this pot a little more.

Just how many of us are seriously considering getting one of these 2 Samsungs?

I would like to pick up a stand alone BR player to replace the PS3. But it would need to be 1.1 compliant and under $500. Not sure if these samsung's will qualify for me. Maybe the 1400, tho.

I would like to pick up a stand alone BR player to replace the PS3. But it would need to be 1.1 compliant and under $500. Not sure if these samsung's will qualify for me. Maybe the 1400, tho.

The 1400 only meets BD Profile 1. Still waiting for whether or not the 2400 will be meet profile 1.1 specs. Might be worth a shot if it does and has internal DTS decoding.

S~

DTS decoding? Ask and ye shall receive.

seen it, but if you look closely it says upgradable by firmware. By this point you would think it come out of the box. Still with all of the "mini-reviews" ther should be some mention of which BD profile it meets. At least the Samsung site says profile1. No mention anywhere on te Samsung site about the 2400.

S~

I took that upgradeable comment to refer to MA. Could be either way, or something else entirely. Of course, they're probably in manufacturing now, or will be shortly. I suspect that especially with the first ones, we'll plug them in and they'll have a huge update waiting for them, before we can play disc 1.

Gotta read those magic words "1.1" and maybe "second video decoder." How about "-Live?"

I suspect this box will upconvert DVDs better than the PS3 because it includes HQV video processing. Is that a misunderstanding on my part?

I took that upgradeable comment to refer to MA. Could be either way, or something else entirely. Of course, they're probably in manufacturing now, or will be shortly. I suspect that especially with the first ones, we'll plug them in and they'll have a huge update waiting for them, before we can play disc 1.

Gotta read those magic words "1.1" and maybe "second video decoder." How about "-Live?"

I suspect this box will upconvert DVDs better than the PS3 because it includes HQV video processing. Is that a misunderstanding on my part?

Yeah, Samsung is notorious for that with their first two players;) But profile 1.1 is a must. Not too interested in BD Live as the only thing hooked up to the internet is my Media Center for downloads. Might change my mind down the road, though. I do like going back after I watch a movie to use the interactive features, PIP, how'd they do that, etc. I already have a BD player that can do DTS-HD HRA (Panasonic). The 2400 does have a lot of nice features, though. One reason I was looking at the Denon before it got delayed. That I can get at cost. Besides, the Denon has the Realta chipset which is super, super sweet. Beats the Reon hands down when it comes to upconverting. No, the Reon should do a better job of upconverting than the PS3.

S~

Per this, it looks like neither Samsung will be 1.1 compliant. At the bottom, it lists the PiP function as being for HD DVD only. :(

Back to looking at the PS3 for a BD player.

Per this, it looks like neither Samsung will be 1.1 compliant. At the bottom, it lists the PiP function as being for HD DVD only. :(

Back to looking at the PS3 for a BD player.

I knew the universal player would not meet 1.1 specs. It doesn't say anything about the 2400, though. Interesting that that link omits DTS-HD support in any form.

S~

Can you record shows?

PS3 + total of 8 movies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)