Samsung Directv Ready TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I bought one of these back in 2002 RCA CRT tv 38" with built in HD DirectV receiver. I paid an extra $7.00 a month for HD and received exactly 2 HD channels. Never had a problem with the receiver, of course when DirectV upgraded their HD receivers, I had to bypass the internal one. The TV if I'm not mistaken weighed close to 300lbs. Good picture though.

I bought one of these back in 2002 RCA CRT tv 38" with built in HD DirectV receiver. I paid an extra $7.00 a month for HD and received exactly 2 HD channels. Never had a problem with the receiver, of course when DirectV upgraded their HD receivers, I had to bypass the internal one. The TV if I'm not mistaken weighed close to 300lbs. Good picture though.
I remember seeing those... it was in my early days and right when the ka birds went up.. so I was telling people that the needed an external box now. People were hating me lol.

Just got the RVU setup by directv today on my Samsung UN55HU8550. One issue is not many of the techs even know how to install these yet but finally figured it out so they need to do better in that regard. 2nd issue is charging 12.99 for a 2 day rental of a movie. That is ludicrous. Complaints aside the main reason I am here is for the picture quality vs what I was seeing with an hd box. With the HD box I was able to output everything at 1080i which looked great up-scaled on this 4k tv plus the menu and guide screens were very sharp. After switching to the RVU the picture is no longer near as sharp and the guide and menu pictures look really soft. I think it is forcing everything to 720p which does not upscale well to 4K. How can this be changed to feed everything as 1080i?

:welcome to Satelliteguys Joseph!

I'm sure one of the techs that has done one of the 4k installs will chime in soon.

Ok I broke down and bought a new set for my man cave. Samsung RVU capable-50'' 4k..Open box 4k best buy 703 tax included.
This after upgrading my bedroom set to a 70'' 4k Sony. Ok Im broke now...But its just money right?
Hey, I just turned 50! Got my my stupid AARP card. (That means your officially old)
So throw in a midlife crisis and you have 2 4k sets!
70" TV in the bedroom ?
Wow

Because the tv is your receiver there is no native option... I'm fairly sure that on all rvu installs the tvs display whatever resolution the program is broadcast in. Check the video settings under display when you hit menu

But I'm pretty sure that's working as intended.

Reactions: Hutch1814
I have a 65 in mine.. Bed is about 10 feet away from the TV so it's not as insane as you might think. Probably 16 feet from the headboard to the TV mounted on the wall on the other side of the room.
Mine is set up that way too.
From headboard to TV is 13 ft ....
I have a 42" Pioneer Elite in there.
Don't need anything bigger as I only use it to watch the Tonight show or the end of the news.

When hitting the display setting it jumps right to the TVs display settings instead of offering anything on the Directv side. I thought it may also be doing the native signal of the particular channel but i know some broadcast in 1080i like CBS and HBO i believe. It is possible I could be getting a 1080i feed but I would think that would carry over into the guide if I were on a 1080i channel but that is definitely not the case as it is very soft looking compared to what it looked like with the HD box. Also the TV's info button is now being used for Directv purposes so I can't seem to get any info on the TV as to what type of resolution it is seeing incoming.

Hoping they come up with an update to force 1080i as the 4k upscaler does a lot better job with that than a 720p feed.

Man this is turning out to be a bad experience. After getting the RVU setup and working yesterday on my Samsung UN55HU8550, it is no longer working today and keeps saying "This location is not authorized". Spoke with directv support and we tried some things like powering on and off the TV, unplugging the TV, unplugging the broadband deca and even resetting the main genie but nothing resolved the issue. They didn't seem to know much about it and someone with more experience is supposed to be calling me back later but wondering if anyone here has seen this before.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)