Samsung PN64D7000

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I'm my ever changing quest to try as many displays as I can in a 12 month period :), meet the new guy. Should be delivered tomorrow. After the failing of the LED LCD for me, if I don't care for this one, I reckon I'll end back up with a Panny plasma, but I actually feel this one may be a winner, especially with the calibration options.

PDP7000_L30_1.jpg

PDP7000_L90_1.jpg

5562638651_d163fcd6a3_z.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

I opted for this set, over the D8000 plasma for two reasons:

1) Looks. I think this one looks more classy

2) Only real upgrade is something you cant turn off called a Local Contrast Enhancer, and web browsing. Same panel and filter as D7000.

Will update more when I can.

Sharp looking set. Had to hurry home this AM for the delivery, and then head back to work. Checked her out and took some pics before I left.

Very sharp set and thin bezel.

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Some thoughts:

Buzz - Samsung plasmas always get the criticism for buzz, and I am actually pretty good at hearing buzz, always have been. Well, this set with a bright image on the screen and no sound in the room, cannot be heard at all. I was very surprised, it's actually the quietest plasma to date.

Real Black Filter - The reflection on this screen is the best ive ever seen. On the S2, at night in dark areas of the screen, I could usually make out a faint outline of my wife's reflection and her sitting area. Not bad by any means, but I could see it. Well, I paused this set in a fade to black last night and I cannot see anything at her position, so I gotta say they did something good with the RBF.

Black Level - It's very good IMO, and I think it's better than the S2 which measured 0.009 fL. Now is it a Kuro, of course not, but we are talking about a 64" $2700 plasma that does 3D :)

Video processing - It is by far the sharpest plasma Ive owned. Plasma has always had a more natural look, sometimes too noisy, but this set is very very clean. I was worried when some folks compared it to LCD, but it's not artificially sharp, just looks good. I also know Samsung has been pretty good with video processing for awhile, so I should not be surprised.

Floating blacks - Anyone that keeps up with the plasma wars at AVS might know of a Panasonic problem where in darker scenes, as something bright is introduced, you actually see the black level of the entire screen rise, kinda like bumping up the brightness control a little. Well, the 2011's have it and some have been saying the Samsungs now have it. I can confirm first hand it does. Reading patents at another site, in order to meet eco requirements the way these panels are driven tend to produce this annoying byproduct. When I first discovered on the S2 I was a little disgusted by it, but ive accepted it for what it is and don't want to let it ruin an otherwise great set.

Cinema Smooth Bug - The other con to this set. When you feed the set 1080p/24, you can turn CS on which is it's 96hz mode for proper 24hz handling, but there is a pretty decent black level rise while CS is engaged. Seeing the before and after, I'll be leaving it off, because 24hz only support has never been a huge jump for me, I prefer 24hz/60hz smoothing like LCD's do. When it comes to black level vs judder, Id rather have black level, and here are shots of it on and off.

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

Running slides right now while working and sleeping, then watching normal tv with contrast down rest of the time. I plan to rack about 150 hours on it, then calibrate next weekend. I highly expect the calibration to look beautiful because Samsung's CMS always works well, and they have a 10pt grayscale adjustment which means you can dial in gamma and grayscale at each step, instead of low and high.

Pretty sharp looking set. Keep us informed, I am in the market for a new set myself.
I am pretty set on panny given the experience I have had with them. Quality and customer service.
However I have had a sammy before and was pleased with it.

Pretty set as well on Plasma, but I have also considered rear projection because of price versus size, and depth wont be an issue. Any suggestions if I go that route?

My only real issue with the DLP is the vertical view angle. I had the 73" on a 18" stand and the hotspot was still a little low (not centered), the 65" or whatever it is would have prob been a better choice. Thats at 9 feet or so, if you are further out you'd have more leeway, but Id be careful about putting that up on a high stand.

One thing I like about these Samsuns, they offer 10pt white balance controls on even the 6500 model, which if you are calibrating are worth their weight in gold. Unfortunately Panny is only offering this on the flagship. My other issue with Panny is the premium of the VT. The VT will have better black level (the 7000 and 8000 Samsung are no slouch) and maybe a better filter (the Real Black Filter on this 7000 is the best one ive seen yet), but it also costs $1500 more :)

Got close to 100 hours on it now. Real impressed, nothing to complain about at this point :)

Hope to do a 2D calibration Wed, and 3D calibration Fri. Want to watch Legacy 3D again and Tangled 3D. 15-20 hours of that has been Directv recordings, rest are color slides. Directv looks great and the black levels are excellent IMO. Watching the first Blu tonight, finally getting around to Social Network.

First stab at 2D last night. The Display 2 showed up broken, so I just used the I1 Pro. Really did not mind using it the whole time once I got used to it.

When I get my tripod and bracket in next week Ill try 3D and do some more tweaking on 2D tonight. 2pt, 10pt, Gamma and CMS took a good bit of time since it was a learning experience.
Post Gamma
PostD7000Gamma042511.jpg

Pre Grayscale
PreD7000Grayscale042511.jpg

After 2pt
After2ptGrayscale042511.jpg

After 10pt/Gamma
After10ptGrayscale042511.jpg

Pre CMS
PreD7000Chroma042511.jpg

Post CMS
PostD7000Chroma042511.jpg

Took another run at 2D. My I1 Pro is only good down to 30 IRE, so i cant do a full 10-100 grayscale and gamma yet. Tom Huffman should be getting my Chroma 5 in today, so he can recertify and send back. When I get it back I can profile it to the I1 pro then finish up tweaking 10-100. I also have Contrast at 90, but was informed going up to 94-96 would help the 10 pt adjustments for Grayscale and Gamma behave better. That being said, the Grayscale from 40-100 looks damn good, and the Gamma is good too, would like it a little latter.

I'm going to do a 3D calibration next Thu, that involves putting the I1 pro on a tripod and taping the 3D glasses over it, should be fun. Still enjoying the set, PQ is excellent, I see no real need for the 8000 series and this 7000 is a steal at $2700 for a 64".

PostD7000Gray042611.jpg

PostD7000Gamut042611.jpg

PostD7000Gamma042611.jpg

Well, in 3D mode you can only adjust 2pt White Balance, and gamma stinks, but thats just where I guess they've not figured it out totally. Here are my final charts:

2D Gamma
PostGamma2D050611.jpg

2D Grayscale
PostGrayscale2D050611.jpg

2D CMS
PostCMS2D050611.jpg

3D Gamma
Post3DD7000Gamma179.jpg

3D Grayscale
Post3DD7000GrayscaledE2.jpg

3D CMS
Post3DD7000CMSChart.jpg

Wake me up when you can match the calibration of my 3+ year old Pioneer Kuro. ;)

Just giving you a hard time. Looks pretty good!

So, despite that, is this TV finally a keeper for you?
Yes, actually is :)

Nah. He's going to get the Sony HX929 when it finally hits ;)

S~

Nah. IR is pretty good on these too, actually better than the Panasonic (strangely enough)

Wake me up when you can match the calibration of my 3+ year old Pioneer Kuro. ;)

Just giving you a hard time. Looks pretty good!

Haha, I bet in 2D I can get it just about as close, can match the blacks though! You dont have 3D ;)

10Pt on this works well, can really flatten out that gamma around 2.2, which is what you want. Watched a little Tron Legacy last night, looked real good, but a 3D calibration is a PITA!

Haha, I bet in 2D I can get it just about as close, can match the blacks though! You dont have 3D ;)

10Pt on this works well, can really flatten out that gamma around 2.2, which is what you want. Watched a little Tron Legacy last night, looked real good, but a 3D calibration is a PITA!

Yeah, but "just about as close" on a 3-4 year newer TV still drives me nuts. Darn Pioneer for getting out of the game! You're right about 3-D, luckily I don't want it, yet. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)