Samsung Side Lit LED LCD UN55D8000

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
So, I ordered this puppy :) (Im sure Teachsac will be amused again). Should see it end of next week and plan to report back on it. All accounts are that they have improved LCD issues with Crosstalk, and hopefully the IR sync issues that plagued last years models are fixed with the new Bluetooth glasses.

As stated in another thread, I went for the deal which was the display, the Megamind starter kit (Shreks and two pair of glasses with voucher for Megamind), and the display comes with another voucher for two more pairs of glasses. Not a bad deal since you end up with a few flicks and 4 pair of glasses.

Megamind comes with the older design like Don and I have with the DLP's:

21bTYwgyN7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My problem with this is reflection during lighter veiwing, so I hope the 2011's below (voucher in box) help that, but dunno. They new pair also look more comfortable:

SSG3300GR_4.jpg

This set has Micro Dimming Plus, which seperates it from the D7000 (Micro Dimming). Plus adds hardware to help with the software controlling the zones, while the 7000 only has a SW algorithm to help, one that does not appear to do as good a job. User comments and Chad B's review make this look like a nice LED LCD.

I for one like the small bezel (fallen in love with it on the DLP) as well as the fact it only weights about 40 pounds.

LED8000_55_R30-copy.jpg

Here are the specs:

Samsung USA

Series
8000 Series

Design
LED TV
Comes With Swivel Stand

Video
54.6" Screen Measured Diagonally
1,920 x 1,080 Native Resolution
25,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
Real 240Hz™ Refresh Rate
16:9 Aspect Ratio

Audio
SRS TheaterSound®
15 Watts x 2 Audio Channels
Built-in Bottom Speakers
Wireless Connectivity
Built-in Wi-fi

Features
Smart TV with Samsung Apps
2D & 3D in Full HD 1080p
AllShare™ DLNA Networking
Wide Color Enhancer Plus
Ultra Clear Panel
ConnectShare™ Movie
Skype™ Enabled
Anynet+™ (HDMI-CEC)
Auto Channel Search
Auto Power Off
Auto Volume Leveler
Clock & On/Off Timer
Closed Captioning
HDTV Tuner Built-in
Sleep Timer
V-Chip
Micro Dimming Plus
Inputs & Outputs
4 HDMI Inputs
2 Component Inputs
1 PC (D-sub 15 Pin)
1 PC Audio Input (Mini Jack)
1 Ethernet Port
3 USB 2.0 Ports
1 Digital Audio (Optical)
1 Audio Output (Mini Jack)

Dimensions
1.2" Depth
48.5" (W) x 27.8" (H) x 1.2" (D) Without Stand
48.5" (W) x 31.0" (H) x 12.2" (D) With stand
60.6" (W) x 33.4" (H) x 6.9" (D) Shipping Dimensions

Weight
35.7 lbs. Without Stand
41 lbs. With Stand
Shipping Weight: 55.3 lbs.

Power
Exceeds ENERGY STAR Standards

System
ATSC/Clear QAM Tuners

Features
Smart TV with Web-Connected Apps and Web Browser
Samsung Smart TVs allow you to easily search for movies, TV shows, browse the web, explore Samsung apps, chat with friends and find many other types of new interactive TV content. Samsung Apps is a growing collection of premium apps specifically built for your TV that connects you to your favorite digital content such as movies from Netflix or Blockbuster, TV shows from Hulu Plus, videos from YouTube, Next Level sports information from ESPN, Music from Pandora, and social updates from Facebook or Twitter. The Samsung LED 8000 series also includes a Full Web Browser to navigate the internet, a Search All feature so you can find videos via apps or other connected devices and a recommendation engine which suggests movies you might like from your Video-On-Demand services. Samsung Smart TVs allow your digital experiences to converge on a brilliant HD screen.

Captivating 2D & 3D in Full HD 1080p
Whether you are viewing a premium-quality 2D picture or seeing incredible 3D depth, images are breathtakingly real in Samsung Full HD. Enjoy superb 2D 1080p clarity with Real 240Hz refresh rate technology, deep rich blacks with Ultra Clear Panel and detailed contrast with advanced dimming technology. Samsung 3D utilizes active shutter glasses which is the only way to experience 3D in Full HD 1080 (when coupled with a 3D source such as a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player or a Full HD broadcast from satellite or cable providers). Samsung 3D TVs also offer a unique feature that allows you to intensify your 2D viewing experience by upconverting it to immersive 3D.
* Full 3D experience requires 3D-native content; conventional 2D content can also be upconverted to near-3D image quality.

Ultra Slim Bezel

Take TV to the edge with an incredibly slim bezel that creates a virtually edgeless picture. The Samsung LED 8000 TV is a mere 1.2” deep which makes mounting the TV almost as easy as hanging a picture on your wall. If you choose not to mount your TV, the picture will float above the stylish swivel stand which can rotate to better suit your viewing angle. The Samsung LED 8000 pushes the limits of design and performance to give you a truly immersive viewing experience.

Incredible Contrast with Micro Dimming Plus
Micro Dimming Plus is a feature that is unique to the Samsung LED 8000. TVs typically treat their light source as a single light even though there may be many bulbs making up that light. While most TVs can vary the brightness, they expose the whole scene to the same light. As a result, a bright object in a dark scene (a candle in a dark room) is dimmed to make the room dark, or a dark object in a bright scene (an action hero silhouetted against an explosion) is grayer than it should be to make the scene bright. With the advent of LED TVs, this was no longer a limitation of TV. LED light sources can be placed behind the panel and used to light only a specific region. With many of these LEDs behind the panel, bright areas get the light they need and dark areas stay dark. This is a process commonly called “Local Dimming”. However, Local Dimming poses other problems: the TV must be thicker and more LEDs are needed making the set more expensive and less energy efficient. Samsung has found a way to create the contrast improvements offered by Local Dimming without sacrificing the TVs depth, design, energy efficiency or price. This innovative technology is called Micro Dimming. It uses software to analyze the picture, break it up into many squares, and adjust the panel to account for darker and brighter areas. On the LED 8000, this is taken even further with Micro Dimming Plus. In addition to the Micro Dimming software, the LED 8000’s Micro Dimming Plus features built-in hardware that allows for each of the LEDs lights to be automatically adjusted independently. If you are looking for elite picture quality in an ultra slim TV, Micro Dimming Plus in the LED 8000 ensures that the image is as close as possible to what the camera saw when the video or film was made.

Real 240Hz with Clear Motion Rate
With Samsung’s Real 240Hz with Clear Motion Rate, you can enjoy smooth motion in every frame. Advanced TV panels and unique backlight technology combine with proprietary algorithms to significantly reduce image response time. The lower the response time, the higher the Clear Motion Rate (CMR). Samsung’s industry leading Clear Motion Rates yields the most accurate image reproduction for the clearest moving images.

This is my first Samsung TV, so it'll be interesting. I've always liked their AMP processing on previous models viewed, and Im glad wifi is built in. Swivel stand will also help when we have folks over for College Football and UFC.

Too bad no drool emoticons :D

I've narrowed to this one, LG 55lw6500, and Sony. LG and SOny aren't out yet. BB just listed the 6500 for the 9500 price $3699 instead of the retail that everyone else has it listed for $2699. SInce it will be going in the bedroom, that's why I'm looking at the passive.

S~

Gotcha. I considered the LG pretty hard at the price, but it's taken me this long to get OK with the thought of Samsung quality, not there with LG yet. That Sony XBR929 is nice and well priced, but Im still pissed at Sony for all their overpricing of tv's the last few years. I know LCD is overpriced period, but Sony reminds me of Nike at times, but Id like to see them get the XBR's back to where they should be.

My only concern for you is if you are using this as your primary set, the 3D viewing will be too small after using the Mits.

S~

Yeah, gonna have to experiment. Angle viewing issues and the hotspot, as well as judder, will allow for tradeoffs between the two. The 58" still seems large to me, but won't know till we try :)

Oh yeah. I already know Im doing a PJ room when we build.

One issue Ive run into, as screen size increases, is regular Directv PQ. using a 73" for 20-30 hours a week of HD locals and things like TNT, is not near as nice as it used to be.

Could be processing then. It looked good on my 55" Toshiba LED LCD, but not as much on the 58" S2 plasma (known for bad processing).

I've ordered the Sammy 51D550 plasma. I tried the new glasses at a BB to see if I did not get a headache like last years model. Felt fine during and after viewing. I ordered from Sears to get 2 new glasses free.
I will use this to hold me over until I upgrade my HT from my current JVC 250 fp to a 3D HT.
I'm like Don. My 106" is just as good if not better pq than my 60" Kuro. Only the blacks cannot be matched by the Kuro. :)

Something I did want to bring up. My JVC is hooked up to a HR24. The guide shows the 3D channels not greyed out and does play them in a SBS pic. How and why would it do this?
My Kuro has a HR24 and the channels are greyed out and will not display these channels.

Last edited:
Sometimes the picture just puts me off, even though there is much less artifacting. HBO seems pretty poor sometimes.

S~

HBO has been bad. I see this pulse in the image where it blurs then clears, then blurs then clears. Some see it some dont. I've gotten to where I know VOD any HD from them, and it looks better.

Ive not seen it on live sporting, just movies and original series. Boardwalk Empire was horrible. I even checked on my other tv to rule out one setup over another.

Megamind kit came today. Glasses are a replica of the 2010's, but they reach more over the ear and feel more balanced than the DLP ones I have. Not too bad, be curious to see how the 2011 one's I can get with the TV feel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)