Samsung Side Lit LED LCD UN55D8000

Should be playing with the new baby tonight. Gotta give Amazon props, ordered Fri, here on Wed. We moved the DLP into the bedroom for now, on a stand 2 feet off the foot of the bed. HOLY CRAP! We watched a little bit lounging last night, thats like being at the damn theater :)

Went ahead with Megamind voucher online, see how long it takes to get it. Will do glasses voucher tonight.

When you get it set up, would you give me the measurements from your stand to the bottom bezel, please?

Thanks,

S~

I did. Let us know what you think of it. I was impressed. I need 4 inches to the bottom of the bezel to accomodate the center in the bedroom.

S~

Don't want to hijack elway's thread. Just got the Samsung 51D550. Got the Panasonic bdt110.
Not many controls to tinker with as far as pq but knew that going in. This will be for 3D mostly. I like 3D in dynamic mode so to give more light. This will keep me in check until I upgrade my 106" screen to 3D in a few years.:)
Does anyone know of a 3D compatible hdmi splitter?
I have 2 HDTV hooked up via the splitter now with my Directv HR24. To use Direct now i hook the hdmi straight from the box when I want to watch 3D.
BTW. Like the glasses. Not heavy or uncomfortable at all. No ghosting or crosstalk. Very impressed for what I paid for this. If I was to watch more 2D on this would have gone with the 7000 or 8000.

Really liking this set, best looking LCD ive dealt with. In Movie Mode and Warm 2, color and Brightness are spot in with a test disc, at least as good as you can get it without a meter.

Here are the settings Im using, after some research:

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 15
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50
Advanced Settings
Black Tone: OFF
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
LED Motion Plus: Normal
Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: OFF
MPEG Noise Filter OFF
HDMI Black Level: Greyed when i looked
Auto Motion Plus: Custom (AJ-4 AB-10)
Smart LED: Normal
Cinema Black: Off
Pic Size - Screen Fit

There is a Clear setting for AMP that most like, which is Blur 10 and Judder of 3, but I went custom with Judder at 4. Like it a little better, but if you go to Judder 5 its wonky. Not sure how people watch these with Blur 10 and Judder 10, itd drive me nuts.

Very 3D look, watched CSI Miami and Being Human so far on Syfy, 1080i Directv looks real good. Watched some of Being Human in the dark and Im happy with the shadow detail and the ability of the micro dimming. Will be curious to see how a letterbox blu-ray goes in the dark. Since this is my 2nd LED, I have a good idea what to look for. When the screen goes all black you cannot tell it from the wall, and when it's mostly black in a scene it seems to do well with regards to blooking.

Just ran some resident evil 3D, and man this set does a great job at smoothing out the motion. The 3D had even better depth than I was used too, and all the fast action that has been giving me issues was cleared up. Im thinking it's just the difference between a 60hz set (DLP) and this set with AMP. Needless to say, I like it. The BT pairing works very quickly and easily, no complaints so far.

The set looks a lot smaller than it is with no bezel, but I gotta admit, it's a sharp looking display. One final thing I noticed, when it hits 3D mode it jacks the backlight to 100% (20), I assume to counteract the dimming of the glasses. It works quite well.

Here are some pics. Never seen a set this thin before, and one thing nice about it in the dark, is you cannot tell the screen from the wall. Especially good in 3D, because the depth feels like its in the wall. The Samsung logo is pretty bright and can be off, on, on while the set is on, or on while the set is off. I have it set to be on when the set is off, makes a nice little night lite in the living room.

Note my "kid" asleep in the chair...

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

It's tiny :)

Yeah, will take some getting used too. I tell you this though, while the screen is smaller, it produces a very very good 3D image. RE was noticeably improved over the DLP, but as stated, I think AMP helps smooth out the motion as opposed to the slight judder on the DLP. Plus the DLP 3D is lower rez, so maybe thats part of it, dont know.

With no bezel, and the lights out, the screen appears to be with with the wall, so it's a nice effect.

Have you tried the 2D -> 3D conversion on regular HD programming? If so, how does it compare to the conversion performed on the Panasonic? Any stuttering, tearing, freezing, etc?

S~

Some 2D to 3D observations, and others:

• When compared to my BDT-110, the set does a better job. Watched many scenes over and over again, and even some stills with good dimension, and the D8000 plain beats the player. Very surprised here.
  • The 2D to 3D on HDTV is pretty cool, I could actually sit there and watch it without issue. Watched Tennis, Basketball, and Iron Chef. Very enjoyable

I watched some Directv 3D, and it looked excellent also. I still love how the tv automatically jumps to Backlight 20 and Contrast 95 in 3D mode. Got the qwerty remote working by putting it about 6 inches from the screen to pair, and I do see some clouding on each side. Im liking the bluetooth remote and glasses. As said before, the glasses are the same design as the 2010 Mitsu/Samsung, but they are more comfortable. I also am not having as many issues with 2D to 3D on the BDT110, as I was with the DLP.

Basically, I sit about 9.5 ft away, and Im staring at the right hand bezel from my position. On the far left of the screen, in darker areas, you can see some lightening. If I move over to my wifes position, I can see the same effect on the right hand side of the screen. It's just a viewing angle limitation of the tech IMO. Now, this is only noticeable with a semi dark image, when the sides are a bright signal it cannot be seen, and when they are a black signal, I do not see it. I think it's a case where the LED's cannot be off, but the scene is dark enough to expose their weakness. For example, when a SD commercial is up and has black sidebars, that clouding goes away, the bars are black as hell. But, if someone in a brown shirt is standing in the corner of the screen, surrounded by a bright area, his shirt lightens a tad.

Still really happy with this set.

Some more observations:

The screen is of course glossy, but IMO it gobbles up reflection, in comparison to a plasma.

Watching in a room with some daylight, or at night with a small lamp, the blacks on the set appear to be very good. In complete darkness, you see some flaws, but unless you own a 2nd Gen Kuro , can't get past that on most sets.

HDTV like Nat Geo and Discovery look more detailed and sharp than the Regza or S2, especially over the S2.

from top to bottom, on each edge, you can see a slight lightness depending on the image displayed, but this is just a part of edge lit displays. With an all black screen, there is a little bit of clouding, but once again, it's minor IMO.

I know it's early yet, but so far, best display Ive ever owned. Really shocked how good the PQ is on blu-rays and 3D, and the letterbox bars are actually darker than the S2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts