Samsung Side Lit LED LCD UN55D8000

Updating my meter setup to something more reliable, and plan on becoming self sufficient on calibrations. Hope to order today, and will get some charts up for this set ASAP. I also hope to take the THX classes next year for fun.

Ok, here are some thoughts after using this set for awhile, and researching (with settings and experimentation) AVS mentioned issues. Im not debating if this is something I want to keep long term, or send back within my 30 day Amazon window...

I am seeing two things:

1) The blue blacks that were mentioned in the cnet article, which Im not sure if they would be fixed by calibration or not
2) My off angle viewing looks pinkish/washed on the edge of the opposing corner

Also realize, the reason I see this as a serious issue is because at my 9.5 ft distance, if I stare straight, Im looking at the right hand edge of the bezel. So my viewing angle is not anywhere near bad. This tells me this edge lit has some problems in it's design. Id guestimate that I see this 20% of the time, so it's quite common. Not a deal breaker, but it just does not look good. I'd also say it's about a 6" wide area, perfectly vertical that I see this issue with. And, once again, if I pause the video and move to my wife's position, the problem switches from one side tot he other. This tells me off angle veiwing issues. Also does not present itself with letterbox veiwing, so it must be something in the Micro Dimming limitiations with full screen content.

Another issue I have, AMP is broken. I read some of this aboutt he 2010's after I bought the set, and after some experimentation, I agree. With AMP set to Clear, everything works fine. With AMP in Standard, Smooth, or any combo of Blur/Judder in Custom, Amp stutters at times. Real annoying. Problem with clear is, the judder settings must be down low, because judder is there and to me, one reason for AMP is smoothing out judder.

And then there is the fact this is a $3k display...

Yeah. I knew edge lit had some issues going in, but....

Like I said above, at 9.5 feet, and as close to center as I am, off angle washout should not be an issue. AMP is also a big pisser. Appears they broke it in 2010 and have never rectified it. Why you take a great feature and make it jittery, who knows. I wanted to vet these issues before really hammering on the set, but I find both of those fairly serious. To bad because on a great deal of the content the set is gorgeous, especially blu-ray and 3D. I ahve to also face the fact I record 30 hours + of DVR's every week, and if it shows washed blacks in the corner and studdering video on a good deal of that, it's a deal breaker. Good news is Amazon will gladly take it back.

Got some thinking to do. Next try would prob be a 64" D7000 2011 plasma, same price range and I can use my glasses.

Well, was lucky enough to stumble upon Minority Report on HBO HD and bust the set having one of its bad moments of washing out:

From my seated position
IMG_2276.jpg

Straight on
IMG_2277.jpg

Unacceptable...

Contacted Amazon, this set is going back in the 30 day return window. Going to try a 64" PND7000 Plasma now.

samsung-PDP6500.jpg

Im pretty convinced edge lit LCD is not my thing.

My new setup, need binoculars!!

Sure looks small.

I haven't seen the new Samsung 64" Plasma D8000. But I love my 2010 Samsung PN63C8000. Disappointed that Samsung 2011 models have gone to an incompatible BlueTooth glasses, but hopefully they will indeed work better than the IR glasses. I never really had trouble with the old glasses.

Current bundles include the 4 Shrek movies and Megamind.

Glad to hear it, I was real impressed with the 2010 Samsung reviews, and it's the reason i decided to try a 2011. The BT glasses worked flawlessly with the LED LCD Im returning, so they are real nice. It is too bad they changed and the older glasses are incompatible.

I got Megamind and Shrek with the LED LCD, because I bought the Samsung Starter Kit. That image is a 32" Panny LCD, hope to get the PN64D7000 Mon or Tues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)