Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok folks it's rant time... and since I own SatelliteGuys I can do that. :D

As many of you know last Summer / Fall we remodeled our kitchen. It was a long project but we love our new kitchen.. except for our new Samsung RF31FMESBSR refrigerator. This model is one of the best units Samsung makes, it is the one with the build in Soda Stream dispenser. This was not a cheap refrigerator at the time we purchased it, the cost was over $3,000.

My wife always wanted a French Door fridge, and I being the geek I am wanted the Soda Stream feature. Up until now we couldn't even fit a normal size fridge in our kitchen. We were excited we could remodel the kitchen and finally have a real fridge!

Since the remodel the fridge has become the centerpiece of the kitchen. Whenever someone comes over they comment on it. They ask me about the Soda Stream feature so I normally give them a demo. (I got to admit now though I am not a fan of it in the fridge as it keeps making carbonated water and storing it. And when the carbonation levels go down it carbonates it again... so you run out of CO2 a lot faster then a normal stand along Soda Stream Fountain. It would be better if it carbonated the water on demand.

We love the center drawer which we use to put drinks in, its a great feature to have!

So why a rant on Samsung? Well we have had the unit since October and since that time we have have it serviced 4 times, and have had over $800 in food spoilage.

The first 3 repairs we had service come out from the store that we purchased it from. The store we got it from was PC Richard and Sons and they have been GREAT to us. Their service guy has been great as well. I don't have thing bad to say bad about this place, they have gone above and beyond for us!

The issue is there is something wrong with the fridge where the entire back of the fridge (not in the fridge or freezer... but in the back where the mechanical stuff is) freezes up with ice, the ice builds up so much that the it his the compressor. When this happens you hear a grinding sound everytime the fridge kicks in to cool. This grounding noise gets louder and louder as the ice grows. So loud in fact that you can't talk in the kitchen when its making the noise.

In the first repair the tech from the store came, and had to order a part for it. The first two times it took over two weeks for the part to come in from Samsung. On the second time this happened when the part came in the freezer was not cooling properly while still partially frozen we didn't want to take a chance and threw everything away. When the store we purchased the fridge from heard about this they were kind enough to send us a $150 gift card.

The third time however it took over a month for the part to come in from Samsung. When the part came in our freezer gave out two days before. Again we had to throw everything away. We called Samsung to complain and they send us a "one time courtesy" check for $200.00 for the issue, and were told on the phone that if this happened again not to call the store for repairs but to call them and they would replace the fridge.

Then it happened again, so we called Samsung again and they told us before replacing it they wanted to send one of their own tech to try fixing it as maybe the repair guy from the store was not doing it correctly or something and if that didn't work they would replace the fridge. So we gave it a shot.

The Samsung Repair company called us the next day to schedule a repair and then told us we would have to take out all the food from the fridge and unplug it for 2 days so that the ice could melt before they would come out and fix it. We told them NO as we had no place else to put our food and that the other tech who came would melt the ice with a heat gun. They said they had to check with management if they could do that so it was another day before we got a call back saying they would come with a heat gun and melt the ice.

So the Samsung guy came and he didn't do anything with the ice. Instead he replace the main motherboard for the fridge was out of there. Two days later the noise started up again.

So we called Samsung and they looked up our reports and the lady on the phone was very pleasant and said we will get you out a replacement. It took about 20 minutes for her to fill out all the proper paper work and then told us it would be about 5 days for the swap to take place and we would be getting a call from them or the store to arrange the swap. We were very happy with the service we got!

Well we were happy until last night, when Samsung called and told us that Samsung Corporate has denied our replacement. My wife explained that we purchased their top of the line fridge and this was unacceptable and basically the lady on the other end gave her attitude back. She was told to keep calling for service as we still have a few months left on the factory contract but that was the best they could do. My wife said she was upset and wouldn't buy another Samsung product again and the lady on the other end said basically "so don't."

We went back to the store where we got the fridge from and again they were very good to us and now they are trying to pull some strings for us to get us a new unit. While they are doing that the repair guy is coming out again and hopefully when he gets the part he will get it in before everything dies again and we have to throw out everything again.

Over the years I have always loved Samsung products, and up until last night I was a Samsung Fan... but after that phone call all's that I can say is SAMSUNG SUCKS.

If you are considering a Samsung product please think about what I wrote here, would you like to be stuck with an appliance that you paid a lot of money for that they can't fix?

Have you had any issues with Samsung? If yes please feel free to post your story here to this thread. Lets tell the world together that SAMSUNG SUCKS.

Tell the Samsung CSR that you told the many thousand members of your website what you think of them, it might help.
My wife did that, the lady on the other end of the phone didn't care.

So now I post this rant, tweeted it on Twitter and Google has already indexed it.

Everything I said above is documented and I am giving my honest opinion of how I feel about the company right now... SAMSUNG SUCKS.

Hmmm. I haven't run into the bad caps issue on anything made in the last couple of years. I've decided it is a solved issue for new stock.

Now, anything manufactured before 2010 is a different story.

Here is a pic of the Fridge just after it was delivered. :)

Attachments

• fridge1.jpg
    fridge1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 351
Have you looked at the venting requirements for this fridge? The picture looks like there is limited room to breathe out the front. Unless there is venting in the back, this might be a simple issue of lack of airflow causing the coils to freeze up. This might be solved by adding a vent out the side, or a bottom and top vent.

Scott, Scott, Scott - only ONE refrigerator? Have you learned NOTHING from Bob? :oldwink

I was quite happy we had a second fridge when our main one died recently.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Reactions: Kraven
Have you looked at the venting requirements for this fridge? The picture looks like there is limited room to breathe out the front. Unless there is venting in the back, this might be a simple issue of lack of airflow causing the coils to freeze up. This might be solved by adding a vent out the side, or a bottom and top vent.
Yes, we have more then what the specs call for just to be safe. :)

I bought a fridge (Kenmore Elite side-by-side) from Sears a few months ago. After having it one week I found the the ice maker froze up where the ice comes out. I called Sears and was able to replace it with an LG side-by-side. I didn't do my research as well as I thought and found that this was a huge problem with this fridge (freezing up). Sears had no problem switching it out with a different model all together. They even refunded me $400 since the new LG was on sale.

Time to call a lawyer. Lemon law time.

You can also call the news department at someone like WABC in New York.... They have the reporter who fights on consumers' behalf, of course shaming them on TV in a major media market. That may help your case. The fact that you run a technology website might add to your human interest story.

Also, I'm a little nervous as I just bought a new Samsung TV to replace my old 2003 era Sony Rear Projection Set that finally died. Hopefully, it doesn't misbehave like your appliance. Refrigerators have always been problematic for me. I had one (bought in 2007) that required a $600 repair about two months ago, but that one is a GE....

I had a Sansung LED TV just after they came out. Instead of having buttons on it it had a touch panel on the front. 2 weeks after the warranty expired the front panel wouldn't work anymore.

I called Samsung about the issue as I thought I was still in Warranty and after she punched in my serial number said nope your warranty expired two weeks ago, so sorry I am unable to help.

I should have learned then. :(

Interesting. I have a Samsung LCD TV from 2009 that still works rock solid as well as a Samsung exhibit that's a year and a half old that works fine but wishing the battery life could be better. Other than that I've had no trouble with Samsung although I've always been curious about their appliances. After reading this rant, I guess I'll avoid them.

That mother is a lemon. I'd have the TV reporter guys all over it if I lived in a big market like you do. Have you read the fine print on the warranty? Can't believe that you are not fully covered for total replacement and (with the continuing failures), the cost of restocking the frig.

I have thought about that, but dont want the store to look bad.

She thought about reversing the charges for it on the credit card but that would harm the store not Samsung.

My wife has a Samsung Blackjack phone that always glitched. We both went to iPhones after that and they just work......

I decided to give Samsung another look after seeing the amazing picture on the 50" model instore, and the price was right. Good reviews online, but I am a little wary. I always bought Sonys but my last one was flaky and had just an OK picture, even though it was my first HDTV. I switched to a Sony Black Pearl projector in 2008 as my main viewscreen and moved the Sony upstairs to our bedroom, until it died last month, when we went with the new Samsung LED Smart TV. I'm hoping it holds up after seeing this thread as their warranty service obviously is lacking. Oh well, I guess I should have went with the geek squad extended warranty. Maybe next time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts