Samsung Sued Over Defective Players

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
I didn't see this posted. Thought it interesting. Basically revolves around Fox, BD+, and Samsung not releasing firmware updates.

Samsung Sued Over Defective Blu-ray Players | Epicenter from Wired.com

Let's all sue. Maybe HD DVD owners that have problems with combo discs can sue Universal and Toshiba, too. Luckily I haven't had problems yet (knock on wood), but I haven't had time to sit down and watch Bourne Ultimatum yet.

S~

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
I'm sure if you returned your defective combo disc Universal would replace it with a working one. Do you think Samsung will as well? Did Samsung ever come out with a firmware that plays all the new titles for the 1200?

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
I just saw that. Now HD DVD fans can respond. Anyways, didn't Samsung just issue a firmware update this week? Don't know if it addressed the playability issues.

S~

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
If Samsung is ever charged any penalty, BDA will cover it, I think.
If not, I'd sue BDA were I Samsung.

The players are made to specs. Special test suits check for compliance. Samsung players would not be in retail if they were not compliant.

Now, if a f*cking moron like FOX releases movies that don't play - it is either Fox's fault or BDA's (tests suits don't properly test players).

Diogen.

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
If Samsung is ever charged any penalty, BDA will cover it, I think.
If not, I'd sue BDA were I Samsung.

The players are made to specs. Special test suits check for compliance. Samsung players would not be in retail if they were not compliant.

Now, if a f*cking moron like FOX releases movies that don't play - it is either Fox's fault or BDA's (tests suits don't properly test players).

Diogen.

I hear ya, but Samsungs seem to be the only players that have these problems consistantly. PS3 works fine, Panasonics, Pioneers, etc. seem to work also.

S~

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
...Samsungs seem to be the only players that have these problems consistantly.
No. LG had problems, too. It all started in October
http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-forum/104040-what-exactly-bd-2.html#post1063494
Fox Home Entertainment acknowledged playback issues with its 'Rise of the Silver Surfer' and 'Day After Tomorrow'
discs on select Blu-ray players late Thursday, but laid the blame squarely on the shoulders of hardware manufacturers.

BTW, the profile issue is not as black and white as BD+, but this lawsuit actually shows what BD companies may face
in the near future whan releases start utilizing Profile 2 features and almost none but the PS3 will be able to use it.
I think Toshiba will make sure customers notice it...

Diogen.

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
No. LG had problems, too. It all started in October
http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-forum/104040-what-exactly-bd-2.html#post1063494

BTW, the profile issue is not as black and white as BD+, but this lawsuit actually shows what BD companies may face
in the near future whan releases start utilizing Profile 2 features and almost none but the PS3 will be able to use it.
I think Toshiba will make sure customers notice it...

Diogen.

Forgot about the LG combos. I tend to ignore them.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)