Samsung Tv upconverting

rodder

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
Adairsville,Ga 30103
I bought a Samsung 58" Class 4K Ultra HD Smart TV - UN58MU6070FXZA and it says it will upconvert 1080p to look like 4K i have not been able to get it to do it. It stays at 1920x1080 all the time unless i have it on a 4K program. Has anybody had any experience with this tv
Thanks

I bought a Samsung 58" Class 4K Ultra HD Smart TV - UN58MU6070FXZA and it says it will upconvert 1080p to look like 4K i have not been able to get it to do it. It stays at 1920x1080 all the time unless i have it on a 4K program. Has anybody had any experience with this tv
Thanks
The display will automatically scale non UHD signals to the native resolution of the panel. What you are seeing is the signal being accepted by the display. Your display is working as it should.

You misunderstand what the marketroids said (and that was doubtless their intent). They said the HD content would be upconverted to UHD resolution, not that it would look like UHD.

Reactions: Foxbat and rodder
I have found out if i look at something like HGTV on tv coming from my Hopper Duo it is 1080p (1920x1080) but if i look at the same channel thru my Roku Player it is unconverted to 3840x2160 All channels thru my Roku player are unconverted anyway Samsung is sending a teck out to look at it

I have found out if i look at something like HGTV on tv coming from my Hopper Duo it is 1080p (1920x1080) but if i look at the same channel thru my Roku Player it is unconverted to 3840x2160 All channels thru my Roku player are unconverted anyway Samsung is sending a teck out to look at it

What you are seeing is the source. The tv will upconvert no matter what the source is sending. The tv will not tell you it is up converting. It is doing this automatically.

Reactions: rodder
So much to try to explain to you.

He will find nothing wrong. I think you are not understanding what up converting is and what the display says.
The display shows you what the source of the signal is set to. If my receiver be it a satellite receiver, Cable receiver, Roku, Fire Stick etc etc is set to 1080 then that is what the TV display will report That program may be an old SD show shot in 480I but the display will report it is 1080 because that is what the receiver is set to. That show is not magically now HD 1080, or 4K it has been up converted to fit the format of the screen, in your case 3840X2160

Up Converting is taking a source and making it fit the screen, scaling it. A TV that does that well will provide a good picture one that does not will not. Think of it as magnifying an image. If the image is SD 4X3 making it bigger will quickly make it less clear. Up converting if done by a good TV or Bluray player can make it bigger with a good result. In no case can an SD image be made to be HD or an HD image be made to be 4K. Best hope is to make it fit the pixels of the screen with the least artifacts, blurriness.

When you watch HGTV it can't be in 4K, it does not transmit in that format. So it is going to be HD, 1080. Your Hopper can not be forced to send in the 4K format it sends 1080 if you picked 1080/4K setting to the TV unless 4K is actually detected. Change the Hopper to 720 and now the TV will report 720 obviously the channel itself has not changed only what the Hopper is sending to the TV has. The Hopper can not be set to only 4K 3840X2160 it has to detect it. (Yes it can do 4K but it does that only when it detects it - As I said HGTV is not in 4K)
Your Roku CAN be set to 4K only and you obviously have it set to that, so that is what the TV is reporting. But that HGTV program is not in 4K it is being up converted by the Roku. Another words you are not seeing 4K from the Roku for HGTV it just says you are because the TV is reporting what the Roku is set to, not to the actual resolution of the channel.

Just one last time, your TV can not make an HD signal look like 4K, it can take an HD signal signal and make it fit the 4K screen without making the picture worse, and maybe a little better.

If i look at the resolution on tv from Hopper it is 1080p (1920x1080) from Roku 3840x2160 if the tv was up scaling right it would be 3840x2160 all the time

If i look at the resolution on tv from Hopper it is 1080p (1920x1080) from Roku 3840x2160 if the tv was up scaling right it would be 3840x2160 all the time

Nope, not how it works.... re or read my post. The TV does not report what it is up scaling to, it reports what the receiver is sending it.

Last edited:
No. Tampa8 is correct. No matter what video format you input to your TV, your TV will automatically convert it to 4K. For example, if your TV didn't scale the video, a 1920X1080 video would only fill a quarter of your screen. Since a 1920X1080 image fills your entire screen, that is proof that your TV is up-scaling it to 4K.

Like Teachsac and Tampa have also said, perhaps it would make more sense to those who are confused to stop thinking of the numbers that the TV is reporting as being what is displayed, and start thinking of those numbers as what the TV is being fed by the receiver/source. Those numbers are the resolution being input to the TV, not the output to the viewer. ;)

In rodder's example, the TV reports 1920x1080 while watching the Hopper because that is what the TV is being fed by the Hopper. It reports 3840x2160 while watching the Roku because that is what the TV is being fed by the Roku unit.

Reactions: Jimbo
It reports 3840x2160 while watching the Roku because that is what the TV is being fed by the Roku unit.
The unfortunate side effect of this is that even if your TV has superior upscaling facilities, the Roku Ultra doesn't give you that option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts