San Diego, CA Local HD's w/AT9??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

69Mustang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Is anyone getting all of the local majors here in San Diego in HD with just the AT9 dish??

I've been getting the run around on the phone and by a install tech that we are either getting all of the local majors in HD to just ch8,10,39 only. I don't have the 5lnb and was thinking to upgrade now or soon if the slimline dish ever comes out but since I'm already getting a few of the locals thru my OTA I'm not sure.

Like the title of the song-"What's going on?"

69Mustang said:
Is anyone getting all of the local majors here in San Diego in HD with just the AT9 dish??

I've been getting the run around on the phone and by a install tech that we are either getting all of the local majors in HD to just ch8,10,39 only. I don't have the 5lnb and was thinking to upgrade now or soon if the slimline dish ever comes out but since I'm already getting a few of the locals thru my OTA I'm not sure.

Like the title of the song-"What's going on?"

I have the 5LNB dish and we are only getting 8,10,39 in HD. But all the locals are coming in.

And it doesn't look good for FOX anytime soon. FOX is privately owned so we're kinda screwed. I'll ge gripping when NFL season rolls around. Don't know how that all works but here is something from the FOX 6 website.

About Satellite Reception of Fox 6

Can I receive Fox 6's HDTV signals via satellite?

Neither DirecTV nor Dish Network offer local HDTV channels via satellite.

May I get a waiver so that I can watch Fox HDTV via DirecTV?

No. Sorry.

Those network signals on DirecTV are carried solely to service viewers in areas where their local network affiliate is also owned and operated by the network. New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Salt Lake City, and Denver are among those cities. San Diego is not.

Fox 6 is the owner of a contract with the Fox TV Network to be the sole franchisee of their video product in San Diego County and greater Tijuana. Just as your restaurant may not be too keen on you bringing in your own steak dinner, we don't care to share our advertising revenue with Los Angeles and New York TV stations.

We truly realize that sometimes this conflicts with viewer choice and convenience. We hope that you realize that a network is only as strong as its affiliates, and the affiliates are only as strong as their viewer base. Unlike most cable and satellite channels, our income is derived solely from advertising. If our viewers aren't watching us, advertisers aren't buying ads, then we aren't in business, then the network isn't in business.

There are signs this model may change in the distant future, but for now it's all we have.

DirecTV says it plans to carry local HDTV locals eventually, so if you're in a poor reception area, there's hope. The Dish Network hasn't announced any such plans yet.

I'm in North County San Diego. In April I upgraded to an AT-9 and the H-20 mpeg4 HD Receiver. I get local San Diego ABC, CBS and NBC in "pairs" of channels. That is, I get 8 in HD and a second 8 in SD. And 39 in HD and 39 in SD. You get the idea.

But for local FOX, I receive only 6 in SD. However, because local FOX in HD is not available to me OTA because of local terrain, I have a 'waiver' and therefore receive channel 89, which is the FOX Los Angeles feed. Note that I do not get the Los Angeles FOX SD feed. To say it another way: I get channel 6- local FOX in SD and I get channel 89-Los Angeles FOX in HD.

Just call DIRECTV and ask for the waiver. Be sure you mention that you do NOT have the option of receiving local FOX in HD over the air with your own antenna.

gct said:
I'm in North County San Diego. In April I upgraded to an AT-9 and the H-20 mpeg4 HD Receiver. I get local San Diego ABC, CBS and NBC in "pairs" of channels. That is, I get 8 in HD and a second 8 in SD. And 39 in HD and 39 in SD. You get the idea.

But for local FOX, I receive only 6 in SD. However, because local FOX in HD is not available to me OTA because of local terrain, I have a 'waiver' and therefore receive channel 89, which is the FOX Los Angeles feed. Note that I do not get the Los Angeles FOX SD feed. To say it another way: I get channel 6- local FOX in SD and I get channel 89-Los Angeles FOX in HD.

Just call DIRECTV and ask for the waiver. Be sure you mention that you do NOT have the option of receiving local FOX in HD over the air with your own antenna.

I'm in the same boat with OTA locals here in El Cajon. How will I know if I can get 89-Los Angeles.

It's jacked up to have to buy an OTA Dish just for FOX-HD

vgsantiago said:
I have the 5LNB dish and we are only getting 8,10,39 in HD. But all the locals are coming in.

And it doesn't look good for FOX anytime soon. FOX is privately owned so we're kinda screwed. I'll ge gripping when NFL season rolls around. Don't know how that all works but here is something from the FOX 6 website.

About Satellite Reception of Fox 6

Can I receive Fox 6's HDTV signals via satellite?

Neither DirecTV nor Dish Network offer local HDTV channels via satellite.

Last month, I wrote to Gary Stigall, the CE of Fox 6 about the fact that D* DOES have HD locals in San Diego, but doesn't have his station. I asked him if he knew when the dispute would be resolved. This is what he wrote back:

Gary Stigall said:
Unfortunately, the nature of conflict makes it impossible to predict the time of a resolution, so I can't begin to tell you when DirecTV and XETV will agree to terms of their contract.

You're right about the FAQ--it needs a freshening.

Gary Stigall
Fox 6 Chief Engineer

So he does know it's out of date. I wonder how long it will take to get it updated... will it be before XETV gets added to the D* HD lineup?

Newshawk said:
So he does know it's out of date. I wonder how long it will take to get it updated... will it be before XETV gets added to the D* HD lineup?

Thanks for the update, I wonder if the guy that wrote the FAQ's is still there, he's kinda funny, but also kinda obnoxious.

I'll send a letter also and see if I get the canned response.

Oh yeah, was that an email you sent to FOX 6?

Man, it's like trying to piece together a puzzle without a complete set of all of the pieces. I had another tech drop by, my original work order got duplicated, he told me in more detail that I should receive local HD 8,10,39 with the new AT9 dish. 6 is still an unknown as to when they might be on HD through D*. He also told me that to receive OTA signal I would have to run separate lines to each HD box using the AT9. Great. And with the OTA/setup I already have by the time the signal actually makes it to the HD boxes it may not be strong enough to be in HD anymore? Great.

He also recommended to wait for the newer lighter dish. He also said that he doesn't mind the size of the AT9 at his place because all of the equip. and D*service is free to him. Great.

So I did call D* and asked for a waiver. 50/50 chance I was told that I would be granted. How will I know that my waiver was granted? Will I just start receiving new ABC/CBS HD channels? Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
It will just come alive..

You should only need a waiver for FOX. For San Diego - ABC, CBS and NBC are already HD Locals on DIRECTV.

If your waiver is granted, the remote Los Angeles Fox HD channel (89) will suddenly appear on your 'Channels I receive' list. You will not get channel 389 which is LA Fox SD. For Fox SD, you'll need to go to channel 6.

A few days later, you will receive a postcard kind of form from DIRECTV confirming that the waiver is approved.

If you go in to your account on DIRECTV after the waiver is granted, your programming package will show: NETWORK: FOX HD and another entry: Allow Personal Viewing.

Last edited:
gct said:
You should only need a waiver for FOX. For San Diego - ABC, CBS and NBC are already HD Locals on DIRECTV.

If your waiver is granted, the remote Los Angeles Fox HD channel (89) will suddenly appear on your 'Channels I receive' list. You will not get channel 389 which is LA Fox SD. For Fox SD, you'll need to go to channel 6.

A few days later, you will receive a postcard kind of form from DIRECTV confirming that the waiver is approved.

If you go in to your account on DIRECTV after the waiver is granted, your programming package will show: NETWORK: FOX HD and another entry: Allow Personal Viewing.

So your saying I will not need a seperate OTA dish, it will come through my D* AT9 dish? And all I have to do is ask for a waiver?

Please say yes!!!!

And the answer is ...

Messr Santiago -

And the answer is ... yes. Request the waiver and you are home free. If you are like me, OTA is not even a remote possibility. Heck, I can't get an FM radio signal at home.

gct said:
Messr Santiago -

And the answer is ... yes. Request the waiver and you are home free. If you are like me, OTA is not even a remote possibility. Heck, I can't get an FM radio signal at home.

LOL... I called D* earlier today after your last post and requested the waiver. Dang I wish knew about this before. And to think I missed 24 in HD. The CSR said it can take up to 45 days for a reponse. What was your wait time?

Yeah, up to 45 days and he said to call the local you are trying to get the waiver from within 7-10 days after the initial request to get them on board as well.

I'm trying to get the waiver from local 8 & 10 because I already get local 6,15,39,51,69 in HD from my OTA. I hope I can get this all straightend out by Super Bowl next year. It's on CBS. Pain in the b*tt hassle.

Santiago,

My wait time on the Fox HD waiver was less than a week. Remember to check your 'Channels I Receive' list. The waivered channel will show up there a few days before the post office delivers the Waiver Approval Form to you.

gct said:
Santiago,

My wait time on the Fox HD waiver was less than a week. Remember to check your 'Channels I Receive' list. The waivered channel will show up there a few days before the post office delivers the Waiver Approval Form to you.

Did you have to call FOX 6? THe D* CSR suggested I ddn't need to.

Santiago,

No, I did not need to call anyone. The DIRECTV CSR folks handled whatever details were necessary.

gct

Thank you D* and Fox 6 (San Diego), I was getting worried my DNS request (Ch. 89 FOXW Los Angeles) was going to be rejected. Aug 1st. would have made 45 days, the time D* says I am to get a response on my request.

Well yesterday I checked my locals and wholla FOX 6 (San Diego) is now available in HD:up (FYI: FOX was the only major local not offered in HD here in San Diego till this week) Whew!!! just in time for the NFL season.

Now I'm satisfied till 2007 with my HD programming.

vgsantiago said:
Thank you D* and Fox 6 (San Diego), I was getting worried my DNS request (Ch. 89 FOXW Los Angeles) was going to be rejected. Aug 1st. would have made 45 days, the time D* says I am to get a response on my request.

Well yesterday I checked my locals and wholla FOX 6 (San Diego) is now available in HD:up (FYI: FOX was the only major local not offered in HD here in San Diego till this week) Whew!!! just in time for the NFL season.

Now I'm satisfied till 2007 with my HD programming.

Just to add to this, I just checked the D* site and punched in my ZIP and Fox 6 HD not listed yet.

How ironic, the only reason I found out was I upgraded my programmiing to "Total Choice Premiere" and was going through customizing my guide to add the channels I will now receive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)