Sat & Home theater 101

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
I thought I would try asking this in the sat forum before posting in the home theater forum, since I am sure there must've been others who have hit this problem before me.
I have this Yamaha HTR-5920 home theater a/v receiver system, and I'm trying to understand how to connect it to my fta box so I can record the stuff
with AC-3 Dolby sound (like the PBS channels and the TUBE) I have read the manual 7ways to Sunday, and all I come out with is dvd's with no sound at all.
Anybody know if these home theater amps with Dolby will actually output the audio to anything other than a speaker? I get the reg audio signals just fine, out put to my el cheapo Phillips standalone dvd recorder (DVDR3505). And can record on dvds with sat sources using pcm sound too.
I'm going to try some more combo's of jacks and cables and stuff, but if anybody has a nice explanation of how they did it, I could surely use the help.

I have this Yamaha HTR-5920 home theater a/v receiver system, and I'm trying to understand how to connect it to my fta box so I can record the stuff with AC-3 Dolby sound (like the PBS channels and the TUBE) I have read the manual 7ways to Sunday, and all I come out with is dvd's with no sound at all.
Unless your DVD recorder has a digital audio input (and I'll bet that it doesn't), you won't be able to record digital audio. The best you can hope for is to salvage some Dolby Pro Logic out of an analog stereo connection.

I have a Yamaha RX-V1200 so I decided to take a look, On my receiver I have twin-lead connectors for speakers and connectors that are similar to rca.

The speakers use the twin-lead connections so the RCA are free.

I connected my LiteOn DVD Recorder to the front Left and Right RCA connection and I can recored the sound off of HDNET (Dolby 5.1 Dishnetwork), the recording is not Dolby 5.1.

I am not sure if your receiver has both ways to connect the speakers, but I think my post is relevant to you question.

Harshness that is exactly what I find-dvdr has a coaxial audio jack, but its output only @#! it.
(Why did I expect this to be simple lol)
The Yamaha has rca outputs for 27 diff things, one is for VCR, think i'll hook one of them up to see if a vcr will record in stereo off the DD side..
Qwert1515, not sure how Dishnetwork sound works, haven't had it in over 2yrs now , some channels may have both Dolby and pcm sound. Thanks for the test, think I may need a fancier dvd recorder.

My Yamaha HT receiver only puts the Dolby digital to the speaker outputs. I haven't tried it yet but Im going to make a line level converter off the speaker jacks to feed my left and right RCA line audio in on my recording device. Then I will be able to record the TUBE.

Im going to make a line level converter off the speaker jacks to feed my left and right RCA line audio in on my recording device. Then I will be able to record the TUBE.[/quote]
That was my next idea, but should it be so difficult to do this? Surely they make dvd-recorders that will have the proper inputs to record dolby sound.
If you can make a device like that, or tell me where to buy one, I'm needing one too!
I wondered about getting it off the headphone jack-manual says the headphone output is automatically cut to 2channel stereo, then it should record ok.

the hard way

A buddy of mine insisted he must have a DVD recorder that'd burn Dolby 5.1 audio to a disc.
He wanted an optical input.
That didn't exist on the market three or four years ago, and if it does today, you can bet it'll be expensive.

The Dolby-to-headphone adapter discussed in these threads a few months ago, is probably as close as you'll come (easily).

When I want to record Dolby (assuming it is being broadcast), I record with my computer and a DVB card.
It saves the actual digital bit stream, regardless of format.
I author with DVD Labs Pro, but many other packages will probably work.
(Some won't handle Dolby, so watch out for that).

Thanks Anole, I figured that would be the only other option after reading that article. God I miss the good old days when you could enter 2 audio=subcarrier frequencies on your c-band, connect your 2CHANNEL STEREO AMP and have #@~~! stereo sound. And record it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts