Satellite 82 HDTV Help

jimmyv

Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Maryland
I have lost the signal completely on Satellite 82 (Nimiq 2). It has been down for several months now. As a result, I am not getting any Expressvu HD channels. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note that I do not believe this is a switch or receiver issue, I have checked the signal directly off the dish and even tried swapping the LNBs on 82 and 91 but with no luck.

Did the Nimiq 2 satellite position change in the past year? Could a new satellite be blocking it? I am in the Eastern US but not that far south, still getting satellite 91 perfectly fine.

Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks
Jimmy

Well as you may or not know, Bell 82w has spot beams and many USA customers cannot get the signal at all. As far as 91w, that can be reached in the lower 48 just fine.

Bell does not use spotbeams. They put a new satellite named Nimiq4 up last October for 82W. They angled the focus to cover Canada better. In rough terms this resulted in the loss of signal in the Southen US and weaker signals in a lot of the Northern US.

Read here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/canadian-satellite-services/150762-nimiq-4-strength.html

Reports of signal strength here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/canadian-satellite-services/166004-nimiq-4-contour-map-first-take.html

Lots of people have complained about signal problems on 82W in New Jersey, so it would make sense that you have the same in Maryland.

If you want Canadian HD you should look at Shaw Direct or setup a slingbox with the Bell receiver located in Canada.

82 nimiq

I have the 9200 receiver...and I am in Philadelphia...if you get the 30" Winegard (DSS) it will work fine there. My signals here are between 53% and 75 % The rain fade is more noticable-of course...I hope this helps.

Is anyone using the Frontier Toroidal T90 Dish for Receving 82 W (and 91W) for BELL in the USA? It looks like it should support this better with the signal being harder to pick up...BUT I cant find anything else about its reception...Thanks for the info.!!

I have one and honestly it would be overkill for that....and expensive as hell to ship

Get a 36" dish and use that for 82W only. You can ghetto mount a LNB for 91 if you want or use the existing dish for 91. The Twin LNB wont work on a 36". The spacing between the sats is greater than a 20"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)