Satellite channels go blank

I had this happen over the weekend, and ended up just power cycling the box to resolve it.

The first time this bug has surfaced for me is in 2.69.

Given that in past releases (before 2.68) I was power cycling the box almost daily, I might be able to live with this.

Cheers,

I experience these "blackouts" daily. I find that I need to do a "check switch" which when completed allows the unit to perform the "acquiring satellite signal" routine which flows naturally into the "downloading program guide info" which leads to the inevitable comment from the wife... "and we pay how much extra per month to be able to do this each time we want to watch TV"?

Sometimes if we are lucky, the gracious Dish gods will allow us to watch our TV 15 minuets after we turn it on.

The 811 brings a whole different definition of interactive TV to the Dish Network experience.

g

I am very new to "da dish". I have two 811s and am seeing the blank screen on Sat channels more on the upstairs unit. I think I have only been seeing the blank screen problem since I had OTA installed on Sat. Prior to that I would have to go through the downloading program guide everytime I turned it on.

Downstairs doesn't seem to be as suseptible to either problem.

I have tried leaving the 811 on over night left on a Sat channel as well as powering off the 811 left on a Sat channel. In the morning, blank screen---- Reboot.

sixbears said:
I had this exact thing happen to me Friday night on my 811 and during the day on my 501. Maybe it is ECM related. Power reset corrected this.
Me 2 with the 811 and the 508 annoying as crap been about the last week.
I can't blame the 811( for a change) becuase I noticed it first with the 508..

I have rarely had problems requiring reboots and have not had this problem. I don't have any access to OTA so this probably accounts for me not having as many problems as others who use their 811's for OTA as well as Sat channels.

Count me in on this, too. Last night after watching Olympics on my NBC's ATSC affiliate, I punched in 9424 for ESPN-HD and I got audio, but no picture. Tried to channel down, but no picture would appear. Finally did a front panel power-cycle to reboot and it's been fine since.
Dish 811
P269LADD-N
1010LADD

Yeah me to! Started last night (SUNDAY). OTA works fine. Each time it happened was when I was in OTA mode for awhile then switched to sat mode. Nothing will get it out of the mode other then unplugging it.

IT happened to me last night but it was late so powered off and went to bed.
Today the picture was still blank so did a hard reset with the power button and the picture is back again. I did not have to pull the plug.

Reported this issue couple weeks ago in other thread. Reset was only way for me to recover the signal. And yes, I did call DN and they suggested the reset but they have not heard of this issue. Have not had it happen within last week. Holding my breath though.

They know about it now.. they sent me a different box *like that would fix it* (didn't)

Tech said he was hoping it would be fixed in the next release which is scheduled "within a month"

In the meantime the thing has locked twice tonight in 3 hours.

I experienced (and am still experiencing) the same issue last night. Was watching an HD OTA channel, then swithed to a satellite channel and am receiving no picture or audio. The program info is visible, but nothing else. Tried cycling the power many times, left it off all night, powered up this morning, and still blacked out on the Sat channels. What do you all mean by a 'reset?' Do I need to unplug the unit. Haven't gotten that far with it yet.

golson99 said:
I experienced (and am still experiencing) the same issue last night. Was watching an HD OTA channel, then swithed to a satellite channel and am receiving no picture or audio. The program info is visible, but nothing else. Tried cycling the power many times, left it off all night, powered up this morning, and still blacked out on the Sat channels. What do you all mean by a 'reset?' Do I need to unplug the unit. Haven't gotten that far with it yet.

To reset the receiver - Push in the power button on the front of the unit and hold for approx. 10 seconds. The receiver will reboot and you should have your picture back.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
To reset the receiver - Push in the power button on the front of the unit and hold for approx. 10 seconds. The receiver will reboot and you should have your picture back.

NightRyder

I usually hold the power down button for a count of 30. THis assures that I have held it down long enough. You will see the power light flash also.

GaryPen said:
I guess Dish wanted the "acquiring signal" bug to seem less important by by adding this new one. I'll bet people would be glad to only have the acquiring signal bug now, when switching to Sat from OTA.
You are right, Gary, this bug is more annoying when you consider that I had a good work-a-round for the old bug. This one grabs me about once a day, and no work-a-round for it........yet anyway.

Blank screen got me the first time last Tuesday night. Have had it 3 times since. Funny that it didn't show up immediately after 269 was operational, but several weeks later. Maybe something is also be messed with in the satellites.

I agree, this makes the acquiring signal problem seem like a quirk.

quick note...

I've not had a blank screen or a lockup since I stopped using the picture in
picture with the guide.

Obviously this may not last.. but it's worth a try changing.

Cheers,

Sam

Had this problem a couple of times also. Noticed that the reciever was pretty hot at the time this happened. I have the receiver on top of a DVD player. There was another shelve about 1 inch above the 811. I removed the shelf so now there is a good foot or so of free space above the 811 and it has not happened since.

On a side not regarding losing OTA signals, I have one signal (NBC) that I can never tune to immediatly. As soon as I tune to it, the strength is 49% and it says it lost the signal for several seconds and then it comes in with a signal strength of 92+. Another channel takes upwards of 20 seconds to get or I may have to change the channel up and then back down. Once locked, this channel is rock steady at 82%. I called dish and they said it is a known software problem on their end and that it should be fixed in the next release in about 1.5 weeks.

We shall see.

--Ray

I just talked to a CSR, as I am also getting a black screen when I switch from over the air back to satellite, and he said that it is normal :confused:. Riiiiiiight. I also told him that it wasn't doing it before the last software update. He said it's still normal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)