Satellite channels go blank

Instead of trying to fix the software, Dish will give you a UHF remote controlled power outlet that you plug your 811 into. When your 811 freezes up, you can use your remote to power cycle it. You get it for free if you sign up for another year of the HD package along with CC auto pay.

watching OTA analog causes other channels to go black!

The title says it all. We watch 'Wheel of Fortune' in OTA analog everyday and then when I shift to any other channel except another analog channel the picture does not show up.

My workaround while watching an OTA analog is to switch to a satellite channel every 10 minutes or so during a commercial and switch back and then things seem to work fine. Looks like it goes blank if you are watching OTA analog for half an hour or more.

Ashoo

I have been out of the loop for a while...

I just haven't been looking at E* related issues.

I have had a DP 7200 since time began..legal, legit, etc. This was when you had to buy them, so it's mine. I pay gobs of money every month (over $100) to have programming, and today it just shuts off. When I reset it, it can't get beyond the 'Getting TV Information' screen. It hangs. After about 30 mins, i reset again. Same problem. I do a quick google and turn up "ECM"s? Is there any way E* has trashed my legit DP 7200? I'm starting to get pissed reading all these threads. It wasn't the greatest product, but has been ok till now. AND IT WAS ALL MINE!

Could you guys tell me what's up or please direct me to some info?

Thanks in advance,
Ed.

dtebh said:
I just haven't been looking at E* related issues.

I have had a DP 7200 since time began..legal, legit, etc. This was when you had to buy them, so it's mine. I pay gobs of money every month (over $100) to have programming, and today it just shuts off. When I reset it, it can't get beyond the 'Getting TV Information' screen. It hangs. After about 30 mins, i reset again. Same problem. I do a quick google and turn up "ECM"s? Is there any way E* has trashed my legit DP 7200? I'm starting to get pissed reading all these threads. It wasn't the greatest product, but has been ok till now. AND IT WAS ALL MINE!

Could you guys tell me what's up or please direct me to some info?

Thanks in advance,
Ed.

Ed, Welcome. FYI, you might have better luck getting answers by starting your own thread in the DVR/PVR forum.

NightRyder

Have had the dropout occurring only about once a week - Until Wed night when I got the 280 upgrade. Thursday it happened twice during the afternoon and evening. Certainly hope this trend does not continue.

Only "good" thing is that the download of program guide seems to be quick, less than 30 seconds. Perviously it took forever.

D

Talked to a tech the other day. They are supposed to fix the guide dropout problem with version 2.82, to be released in October.

I've had my 811 for 2wks now, got 2.80 last week and this weekend I had my first episode of the satellite channels going blank but the info remaind. Had to reboot.

Me too - but also my 501 & 508

Similar things have happened to all 3 of my receivers (501, 508 & 811) but at first I thought it was a rain fade thing.

Now I think it may have started as a signal loss from rain but when the sat tried to reaquire the signal it ran into some sort of glitch and the channel (s) were not only unavailable, they weren't even listed in the "all channel" guide. Each time this has happened, it was only with one receiver - the other two would have the channels just fine.

Switch checks and resets didn't bring them back and I had to call Dish. Then while going through all the usual checks with them the channels would come back. Really weird. The CSR I talked to when it happened last night said it could be a switch problem (DP-34) and then it's having trouble "reaurhorizing".

WaltinVt

Kevinw said:
For my 508 I just pull the card to reboot when the black screen of death arrives. The 811 is just a on/off button reboot.

My 811 won't work that way. I must pull the power to unit.

Note: Mine worked perfectly until I posted that on this forum. It crashed within 1-2 hours after post. :confused:

My 811 continues to have a black screen freeze at least once a day.....the power button reboot (pushing power button for five seconds) seems to fix, but it takes a minute or two to reboot and download information.

Frustrating!! Dish please fix................

ride525 said:
My 811 continues to have a black screen freeze at least once a day.....the power button reboot (pushing power button for five seconds) seems to fix, but it takes a minute or two to reboot and download information.

Frustrating!! Dish please fix................

Wow.. I have had the black screen once since 2.69. Wonder what is triggering it. Since some are having it and others are not, wonder if it is in how OTA is being processed. Hard to say. I did have some wierdness start to appear about a week ago that felt like some possible memory corruption. I was unable to tune in Channel 4 and I was seeing a lot of No Info stuff. I then did a reset to defaults and re-added my OTA channels and everything is back to normal. I did notice that when I add my local UPN it gets replaces my local channel 2. Strange... There might be a memory leak lurking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)