Satellite Coordinates Reference Page?

mecdatlanta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hi Gang!

Can someone please point me to the resource that helps one correctly point one's Shaw dish? I have seen it in the past, but I can't seem to locate it.

Thanks!

Don

Thanks QCB!

BTW, how do I know if I have the quad lnb 60E or 75E? I just picked my system up a week ago, so it is whatever Shaw is shipping currently as a standard dish.

Also, another contributor to this site suggested that I use this page Satellite Look-Angle Calculator to print off the coordinates for my installer. I tried both and found that the one at dishpointer.com allowed me to get specific coordinates for my exact city (slightly north of Atlanta). The lookup tool at kusat.com only allowed me to get coordinates for Atlanta. Still, close enough to find the birds in the sky, I am sure.

Thanks again QCK!

mecdatlanta

You can point to where your dish is located with dishpointer. Just keep zooming in on the Google map until you can see your residence or enter in your street address and move the pointer around.

I must have the 60E

After examining the sticker on the LNB, I noticed a mention "must be used with 60E dish only". So that would suggest to me that I have a 60E dish.

As for the quad part, I still don't know. I'll keep digging (unless somebody that knows can tell me).

Thanks!

mecdatlanta

Thanks QCB!

BTW, how do I know if I have the quad lnb 60E or 75E? I just picked my system up a week ago, so it is whatever Shaw is shipping currently as a standard dish.

Also, another contributor to this site suggested that I use this page Satellite Look-Angle Calculator to print off the coordinates for my installer. I tried both and found that the one at dishpointer.com allowed me to get specific coordinates for my exact city (slightly north of Atlanta). The lookup tool at kusat.com only allowed me to get coordinates for Atlanta. Still, close enough to find the birds in the sky, I am sure.

Thanks again QCK!

mecdatlanta

After further investigating, I do see the word " Quad" on the sticker. So it looks like I have quad lnb 60E.

Getting closer! Thanks again for your help guys!

mecdatlanta

After examining the sticker on the LNB, I noticed a mention "must be used with 60E dish only". So that would suggest to me that I have a 60E dish.

As for the quad part, I still don't know. I'll keep digging (unless somebody that knows can tell me).

Thanks!

mecdatlanta

Any new dish you get from Shaw Direct will come with a Quad LNB so you are good to go, use what I posted above and it will get you very close.

Any new dish you get from Shaw Direct will come with a Quad LNB so you are good to go, use what I posted above and it will get you very close.
Other than the fact that someone using the dish at 34N is going to have different satellite spacing than someone in the GWN.

Other than the fact that someone using the dish at 34N is going to have different satellite spacing than someone in the GWN.

Why would the spacing be any different? This is not true at all. Ontario or the deep south my lnb spacing as everyone else does not change due to location.

Why would the spacing be any different? This is not true at all. Ontario or the deep south my lnb spacing as everyone else does not change due to location.
You're not thinking about what you're saying.

The secret to understanding comes from taking a couple of satellites and seeing what the azimuth is up North and down South.

Shaw uses Anik F1 and Anik F2 at 107.3W and 111.1W respectively

From Quebec City (for example), the difference in azimuth is 245.4 - 241.4 = 4 degrees apart

From Roswell, GA (for example), the difference in azimuth is 226.7 - 221.7 = 5 degrees apart

If you look at St. John's, Newfoundland, the difference is 3.3 degrees.

If the dish is designed to handle from 3.3 to 4.2 for its home market, 5 degrees is probably splitting the difference by .75 degrees off when centered between the satellites.

harshness, the key in what you have said all this is how the dish is designed, and with the smaller 60E dish has been reported working fine in Central Mexico I'm not sure how this would affect what the OP is going to do. He is still going to do one of 3 things, use the coordinates available to set up a 60E, 75E or two separate dishes.

harshness, the key in what you have said all this is how the dish is designed, and with the smaller 60E dish has been reported working fine in Central Mexico I'm not sure how this would affect what the OP is going to do.
I'd be suspicious of any such reports. Most can't even pick up DIRECTV in Central Mexico without some fairly large dishes as the satellites must "protect" markets that they're not designed to serve.

Yes, I questioned the 60E working there, but for sure many people do use the 75E in Mexico and it works just fine for me in the deep south.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts