Satellite Forum

Status
Please reply by conversation.

steve515

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Ky
I was reading about a satellite forum where you must give your receiver number or subscription number or something to become a member. I cant remember what the name was.

Does anyone know what i am talking about?

thanks

I think you miss read, what it real said was..

Iceberg must give you his receivers or a subscription to Starchoice if you want become a member.

I dont know. I read it somewhere. Thats just it. I cant remember.

It was something about FTA channels or wild feeds that they didnt to draw much attention and they just didnt want joe shmo reading about it. They try to keep that stuff private for satellite people. Thus, you had to provide your subscription number or receiver number or something to prove you are a sat subscriber......something like that.....

Appearently some providers/uplinkers whatever, would hear about it and change their wild feeds or something....Man i cant remember why.....I just briefly read it and forgot to save it.

I think it would be a good place for me to do some reading once i get my bud planted in the back yard and my 4dtv service activated.

I was reading about a satellite forum where you must give your receiver number or subscription number or something to become a member. I cant remember what the name was.

Does anyone know what i am talking about?

thanks

A couple of the forums I have joined over the years worked that way, particularly if you want to get into the sub forums where they talk about feed info, mainly because they want to make sure that you're an actual TVRO'er and not the president of Dishnet or HBO or something.
I can't remember which FTA forum worked that way, but I'm pretty sure that the Satforums 4DTV forum worked that way, ie they insisted on you giving them the UID of your receiver. Also, I was in a commercial DCII forum years ago that worked that way too. So it sometimes works that way, but I'm not sure if there are any forums that still work that way, mainly because the logic of doing that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

So it sometimes works that way, but I'm not sure if there are any forums that still work that way, mainly because the logic of doing that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Like Ricks :eek: I still like WUT and Satguys policies.

I could see if it was a commercial acct, but for private residential consumers?

Besides, they would have no way to confirm a valid unit ID# anyhow. Who's to say if a 920 in the closet with a dead battery is useful to gain access even if it's ID was still known? Most people probably wouldn't want to give out their ID#.

Well i dont know....

I just read a little about it and thought that it would be cool to do some reading.

Is it a bad idea to give out sub number or receiver number?

If know one can validate the numbers you give, then why would they ask for it?

I dont know, i'm just a newb who is trying to get my way into the BUD world. I absolutely cant wait to get this thing in the ground and setup.

And thanks to everyone here who has answered my questions, i know more than what i did in december.....THANKS!

You are thinking about Satforums. While anyone can join the open forums, you are required to give receiver number to join the 4DTV Owners Only Forum. This is where in the clear DCII feeds are posted. Besides giving your receiver number you have to be approved by two or three members. This was to prevent in the clear feeds being posted in open forums. Kind of like here with the WUT forums.

As not many DCII signals are in the clear any more the forum is not very active.

Yes that is who it is, apparently I am not the material they where looking for, but if they have nothing to offer I realy don't care, that place has kind of gone down hill in the last month anyway, a lot of bickering there, and yes I got caught up in it too, but I think I am done, this place seams pretty level headed.
Terry
P.S. Do you guys flame for spelling errors? ;)

TMair
Honestly we are way different than other forums and in a good way

1. if you misspell or use grammatical errors we wont flame....numerous times do I spell it reciever ;)
2. we dont like to attack newbies with "use the search function" when they ask a question that may be trivial
3. we all like to learn and dont put down people when they try something out of the ordinary

We're kinda like one big dysfunctional family here in the FTA area :)

I knew I was going to like it here, I am glad I found the place.
I know I will have a lot of questions in the FTA section.
THanks again
Terry

Yes Satellite guys is a special bread of people that's why were Number 1. I have had allot of fun here over the years, and have met some really nice people because of Satguys. I have helped and been helped over the years. We all work together so we can get the most out of our hobby.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)