Satellite Install for Dish Pre-paid system

STEELERSRULE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2007
NW Pennsylvania
I got the DishNOW/YA! system from Radio Shack.

It includes a DP 301 receiver, a Dish 500 satellite dish with a Legacy Twin LNB(No DishPro logo on the front of it, so I assume that it is that), along with mounting supplies.

I found it strange that the LNB was a Legacy LNB(should that matter?), and the receiver is a DP 301(at least it says DP on the front of the receiver). This doesn't mean anything, does it?

A Legacy Twin LNB is just as good as a DP LNB, right?

We are talking only satellites 119, and 110 here. This is the pre-paid, one room service. I know MOST(not all obviously) of the channels are on 119, while 110 carries alot of the locals(plus some other regular channels).

And on the pre-paid service you can't get the locals, or PPV, or HD, so I wouldn't think that 110 is super important, but it does carry some HBO's/Cinemax/Showtime/premium channels on it. Not the main ones, but some that go with a package, plus other scattered channels.

Anyway, I seemed to have read somewhere that using RG59 with a Legacy LNB is actually no big deal. Is this true?

If it is not, no big deal. I will just use RG6.

Also, what is a good signal strength to get?

What I mean is what is an acceptable signal strength while setting up? On a Clear day, obviously, which would be a good indication of the MAX I can get. This is just so I can figure out what I will lose with Rain Fade/Snow/etc...

How low does it get before it begins to look bad?

This will be connected to a Direct View 27" CRT HDTV Monitor through composite at first, but then will switch to S-Video.

Is there a HUGE difference on a TV of this size, plus the fact it is a CRT?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated as well.

you should of got the DP LNB. and u are right they wont offer you local with pre paid. with DP LNB and DP 301 reciever with RG 6 CAble your signal strengh should be in 110 to 120. on both sat. make sure its nice and level.

let us know how it works out for you.

RG6 is best because then you know it is good enough for satellite. Legacy LNBs work fine. The only advantage to DP is switches, but with just 1 receiver you are not going to have a problem with that either.

you should of got the DP LNB. and u are right they wont offer you local with pre paid. with DP LNB and DP 301 reciever with RG 6 CAble your signal strengh should be in 110 to 120. on both sat. make sure its nice and level.

No, the Pre-paid systems they are packing out with whatever they have in excess at the customer service center. Usually they are packing out with Legacy Twins, yet I got a batch a few weeks ago with Legacy Quads!

I will be using the wire that comes with the DISH Do-it yourself install kit found at Radio Shack for $20.

It is rated up to 3Ghz. At least that is what it has imprinted along the two wire lengths enclosed in the kit. One 25ft. in length, the other 75ft. in length. It is pretty durable looking stuff, so it has to at least be RG6. Maybe RG6 quad shielded. If not, I have plenty of RG6 Quad shielded(rated up to 2300 Ghz) lying around.

Anyway, from your quote above, it appears that the Legacy Twin LNB cannot achieve as strong a signal as the DP Twin LNB.

Is that correct, or NO, it has nothing to do with it. Both can achieve the same signal strength.

It is just the DP Twin LNB is the new generation, and the Legacy LNB is the older.

But the Legacy will be just fine, right? Unless of course it is damaged or something.

Radio Shack has a nice 90 day warranty that comes with the purchase if this is the case. So I could trade it in, if there is a problem.

:welcome to Satelliteguys.us Steelersrule and let us know how all goes.

The Legacy LNB will work just fine. RG-59 will work just fine for a Legacy LNB and a single 301 rcvr as well, even though it isn't 'approved'. The MAX signal strength you will be able to achieve is 125, which isn't very uncommon with a 301 receiver and no external switches in the system. An 'adequate' signal strength according to DNS standards is 85 on a DBS satellite (which 110/119 are) and 55 on a FSS satellite (105/118.7/121). You will be fine wigh a signal strength of ~ 100, but you should be able to hit 115+ without a problem.

Thanx to everyone for all their input on the set-up of the system.

One more question though(and I am not going to do it, just curious):

Is it possible to install a satellite dish INDOORS, looking through a window(my windows are Anderson, Double-pane I believe) to the South? Is that type of thing even possible?

And do they even have a Dish on the horizon that could actually do that, or are the PHYSICS(Window BENDING the signal or something) of it, make it just impossible?

Kinda interesting idea, but probably is not feasible in about 95% of situations though.

I will try a SEARCH to find some info.

i haven't done it personally, but i have seen them pointed through single pane glass windows. Signal dropped signifigantly though. The problem with more windows and doors nowadays is that they are double panes with gas (or vaccum) in between the panes, which really hurts your signal

I have been on a service call where the cust had the dish mounted to a COFFEE TABLE pointing out the window of an apartment. It was actually a DirecTV dish connected to a Legacy receiver. Signal strength was in the 80's, I refused to touch the job so I dont know if it could have been peaked any higher than that.

Getting a 622 as a lease customer

1 Camper, 1 Dish 500, and 1 angry chick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)