Satellite Newbie wants Glorystar

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dalentam

Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Hello everyone! I have toyed with getting Glorystar for some time now as I really don't like the antenna channels we get. Any of the christian channels we used to get (like all 2 of them) are most of the time so fuzzy they are unwatchable.

This may come as a complete shock to most here but I have never had anything but antenna channels ever. I just cant understand paying for TV. So I am real clueless to most of the talk on this forum. So forgive me if I ask some really stupid questions but here it goes.....

My husband would completely flip out if he did lose his regular antenna channels, so I have to ask, is it possible to still get those once we hook up a Glorystar system?

We only have 2 TV's but I would like the Glorystar on them both, does that require buying 2 dishes/systems? I've read alot of threads on here about this but I am sorry again as I dont understand all the geek speak :p

I have been to the glorystar.tv site and went all through it but I still dont understand what I would have to buy to get it set up here. I also read about a new DVR coming soon but I didnt see any of those on the site either. That leads me to another silly question for those in the know, is the DVR the receiver for Glorystar or is that yet another piece of equipment? Geez, I feel so out of it :rolleyes: I know what a DVR is, I just wondered if it is part of the glorystar receiver or what?

Now just so everyone doesnt feel totally sorry for me, I did surprise my husband a couple years ago with a TIVO which he is totally hooked on. Would that work with Glorystar? Just curious.

Oh and one more question, is there a way to figure out what shipping of the system to me would be without going through the checkout at glorystar.tv? Just trying to figure out how much I need to save up.

welcome :wave

This may come as a complete shock to most here but I have never had anything but antenna channels ever.
there are lots of people like that
I just cant understand paying for TV. So I am real clueless to most of the talk on this forum. So forgive me if I ask some really stupid questions but here it goes.....
there are no stupid questions. just questions not asked

My husband would completely flip out if he did lose his regular antenna channels, so I have to ask, is it possible to still get those once we hook up a Glorystar system?
yes it will work with the existing antenna. There are two ways to hook up both systems and that depends on the TV. If you have a simple TV with the coax spot for the antenna, you can hook up the Glorystar system to the TV and the antenna to the Glorystar box. If your TV has audio/video plugs (these are 3 plugs that are red/yellow/white) then hook the Glorystar box to those and the antenna still to the TV through the coax antenna input.

We only have 2 TV's but I would like the Glorystar on them both, does that require buying 2 dishes/systems? I've read alot of threads on here about this but I am sorry again as I dont understand all the geek speak :p
If you want to watch the same channel on both TV's then you only need one box. If you want to have 2 receivers, you could still do it via one dish.

I have been to the glorystar.tv site and went all through it but I still dont understand what I would have to buy to get it set up here. I also read about a new DVR coming soon but I didnt see any of those on the site either. That leads me to another silly question for those in the know, is the DVR the receiver for Glorystar or is that yet another piece of equipment? Geez, I feel so out of it :rolleyes: I know what a DVR is, I just wondered if it is part of the glorystar receiver or what?
a system for Glorystar includes
-receiver
-36" dish
-2 LNB"s (these are the "eyes" that picks up the satellite programming

There is a basic receiver but you could upgrade to a DVR which would record the shows to a hard drive on the receiver for easy playback. You would need a receiver to pick up the g* (glorystar) channels and that can be either the basic receiver or the dvr.

Now just so everyone doesnt feel totally sorry for me, I did surprise my husband a couple years ago with a TIVO which he is totally hooked on. Would that work with Glorystar? Just curious.
Some Tivo systems will work with G*. I dont have tivo so I don't know with 100% accuracy. I use a stand alone hard drive/dvd recorder (kinda like a tivo but has a dvd recorder)

Oh and one more question, is there a way to figure out what shipping of the system to me would be without going through the checkout at glorystar.tv? Just trying to figure out how much I need to save up.

I would roughball approx 40.00 for shipping. Most of it is due to the dish being 36" round and very well packed.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!

Yes like Iceberg said no such thing as a dumb question here, that is what we are here for to help.

Thanks!

Iceberg, thanks so much for the reply! You've pretty much sealed it then, I will order the glorystar package this spring. We live in Michigan and right now we have so much snow on the ground and more coming that even the thought of installing a pole in the ground seems so far away LOL I think my next step will be to download the install guide I think I saw at glorystar.tv (wasnt it?) and see if this is something my husband can install for us.

I dont see the DVR's on the glorystar site. Am I missing something? all I see for complete package is $199 for The Fortec Star Mercury II receiver and dish package. Does that mean at the moment that they dont have any DVR's available? Or is the DVR not the receiver? I do have a DVD recorder I could use to record show (not a hard drive model tho) and the old TIVO so I guess I really wouldnt need another DVR.

I am sure I will be back with more questions once we get it or once I download and have hubby look at the guide.

Thanks again!

Iceberg, thanks so much for the reply! You've pretty much sealed it then, I will order the glorystar package this spring. We live in Michigan and right now we have so much snow on the ground and more coming that even the thought of installing a pole in the ground seems so far away LOL
we've been lucky in Minnesota with the snow. Its just the dang cold.

I think my next step will be to download the install guide I think I saw at glorystar.tv (wasnt it?) and see if this is something my husband can install for us.
correct. Otherwise they are posted above in this section

I dont see the DVR's on the glorystar site. Am I missing something? all I see for complete package is $199 for The Fortec Star Mercury II receiver and dish package. Does that mean at the moment that they dont have any DVR's available? Or is the DVR not the receiver? I do have a DVD recorder I could use to record show (not a hard drive model tho) and the old TIVO so I guess I really wouldnt need another DVR.

I am sure I will be back with more questions once we get it or once I download and have hubby look at the guide.

Thanks again!
I didnt see the DVR on there either. Hopefully Glorystar1 can chime in with the update on the DVR. You really dont need the DVR unless you record alot of stuff. The Tivo you have might do the trick :)

The DVR would be in place of the Fortec Merc II if so desired

You can use any VCR, DVD recorder or TIVO to record the output of the standard receiver. I have seen codes on the internet for TIVO control of the Mercury II, but do not have that information available. Maybe available through a TIVO user group?

We only have a small number of the DVR1000ci units remaining and they have been removed from the website. The remaining DVR100ci units will be used for special orders and warranty replacement.

The new DVR1100c will be posted on the website in a few weeks as soon as the item is off the production line and delivery date is confirmed.

Thank you for your interest in Glorystar Christian Satellite Systems!

First, :welcome to SatelliteGuys! I just jumped over to the Glorystar site to verify what I thought I remembered.

If you add the system to your cart, then view your cart, there is a little calculator icon on the lower left of the cart contents. Clicking on this icon will pop up a window where you can enter your shipping information.

For my location in south Texas, it would be $34.77. It sounds like Iceberg is a pretty good estimator!

I hope that helps!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys! I think every Christian home that has a TV should have Christian TV. A satellite dish is the most practical and affordable way to get Christian TV for those that have a yard which allows them to have such a dish. Glorystar is the only Christian satellite package I am aware of and it has no monthly fees so it really can't be beat.

One can hook up two TVs to one receiver and one dish although it may require runnning some additional coax wire through your attic or basement to connect the 2nd TV to the receiver. That would allow you and your husband to watch Glorystar together in room one OR allow your husband to watch something on a secular channel in room one while you watch Glorystar in room two. It will not allow two different Glorystar channels to be watched at the same time on the different TVs.

A DVR is handy or some means of recording programs because often times the programs a person likes will be on during sleeping or working hours. Many of these Christian channels are broadcast around the world - in several different time zones. So there is no "prime time" line up. Your favorite show might be on at 3AM or at noon.

Thank you everyone for the welcome :hatsoff:

Thanks Glorystar1 for the update on the DVR. I will be ordering it in the spring, after it thaws here, so I may consider the DVR if the option is available then. I wish spring was here now!

RedSavina, thank you for the cart walkthrough. You are right, shipping for me will be $34.77 too.

ShaneLinder, I agree! I would completely get rid of the secular channels if it was up to me :D I think one receiver will work just fine for us after reading your explaination.

You are welcome!

Remember, there is a lot to be learned here if you start digging around. As you learn more, please feel free to share. I've been here a couple of years and still find that the majority of my posts are asking questions rather than answering them. It's fun when a question comes along that I can answer, though!

Cheers,
Red

You can use any VCR, DVD recorder or TIVO to record the output of the standard receiver. I have seen codes on the internet for TIVO control of the Mercury II, but do not have that information available. Maybe available through a TIVO user group?

We only have a small number of the DVR1000ci units remaining and they have been removed from the website. The remaining DVR100ci units will be used for special orders and warranty replacement.

The new DVR1100c will be posted on the website in a few weeks as soon as the item is off the production line and delivery date is confirmed.

Thank you for your interest in Glorystar Christian Satellite Systems!
What about a Dish DVR will that also record from the mercury 2 ??

As a DirecTivo user and the brother of a Standard Tivo user, the only concern I would have in trying to use the Tivo is that it depends upon a program guide to do it's recording. Without guide data, manual recording is the only option to record anything except the Live TV that is being recorded as you watch it so you can pause it.

Does Glorystar provide a program guide? If so, then everything above is moot! :)

glen4cindy, cant really answer your question as I cancelled my monthly tivo subscription some time ago and just use the manual recording. It works for us. Thats why I asked about Glorystar working with TIVO.

Thought I would stop back in and see what was new with Glorystar. I see a couple new channels were added since I was here last. I have to echo the question of someone elses post I read, it would be nice to see an updated list of the channels I could really expect to get when I order it soon. Spring is finally here... although we got a snow storm today :mad: and I am still itching to order Glorystar.

Oh hey, that reminds me. I just recently found out I had another MUCH better broadband internet option here versus Hughes satellite so I now have this pole in my back yard that I am wondering if it will also work to install our Glorystar dish on?? (After we take the Hughes dish down of course!) Gosh that would be so awesome!

so I now have this pole in my back yard that I am wondering if it will also work to install our Glorystar dish on?? (After we take the Hughes dish down of course!) Gosh that would be so awesome!
What diameter is your "Hughes dish" pole?
Bob