Satellite Power

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimlenz

Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Clarkston, MI
I have a whole house generator for my home. Unfortunately, when the power goes out it is out for a minute or so which reboots all the directv boxes. I know have small UPS for each of them to ensure this doesn't happen.

I went to the swm unit where the dish wires into and do not see a power plug. I know there is a power inserter but not sure how or if I need to have a ups connected to keep the satellite up? Would appreciate any guidance here.

Jim

You joined five years ago and this is your first post? :)
Then :welcome to Satelliteguys Jim!

What do you mean by swm unit? If you have an HR54 Genie, the power for the swm setup is built into the Genie. All other swm setups have a separate power inserter. It would be inline between the dish and the Genie. It looks much like a power brick, with coaxial cables and a power cord.

It could be many places, even in a basement or attic. As a tip even if the power inserter doesn't go on a UPS you would just lose signal until the generator kicked in, but the UPS on the receivers would still prevent them from rebooting.
As mentioned the HR54 Genie won't have one (in most cases, unless it was left from a previous install, which won't hurt anything).

Even if the swm unit went off for a minute when the power went out, your only talking from the time the generator kicks in that you will be without Tv.

Unless your tv is on a battery backup, I doubt you will notice it.

Good call on the UPS battery backups. The reboot cycle on any Directv receiver is a royal pain in the ass to wait through.

If you have an H44 or HR 54 there is no swm power inserter

Even if the swm unit went off for a minute when the power went out, your only talking from the time the generator kicks in that you will be without Tv.

Unless your tv is on a battery backup, I doubt you will notice it.

Good call on the UPS battery backups. The reboot cycle on any Directv receiver is a royal pain in the ass to wait through.

If you have an H44 or HR 54 there is no swm power inserter

Only the 54 has built-in power, but it's only 21V. The HR-44 still needs a Power Inserter regardless.

So when I upgrade my HR34 to HR54 I connectthe power inserter to the new genie Hr54 you think is bad?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the SatelliteGuys app!

Keep in mind if the genie goes out then any other boxes u have will also go down I kept my power supply in the loop when I got the hr54 for that reason

The HR54 operates with either its internal or external power inserter. No need to switch anything.

No, think about it for a minute. If you connect the HR54 to the power-passing port of any splitter, the LNB will get power from the HR54. If you connect the external PI to the power passing port, the LNB will get power from the external PI.
Actually even if you could arrange it so that both internal and external PIs were connected to the power passing port simultanously, it would not matter. The PIs whether internal or external only set up a DC VOLTAGE across the cable, they don't interfere with each other.

No, it does not shut off. It just does not do anything because it's not connected to anything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)