Satellite Splitter / Separator / Switch Question for the Pros Here!

johnny mnemonic

Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Iowa
I've got a Dish 1000 system with the 110, 119, and 129 LNBs, and three lines going into the house. One line goes to my 722 dual tuner with a "separator" to "split" it for the two inputs. The second line coming in goes to a std. def. 311 rec'r. The third line coming in is dead. Don't know if its the coax or the LNB, but lets consider it useless. I want to add another 311 rec'r. How can I do this without running a new line or replacing the LNB? (Dish wants $$ to come fix THEIR stuff)

I've tried splitting the second line coming in (the one hooked straight to the 311) with a variety of devices and none will work properly. A standard 2150 MHz splitter will nearly do the trick, but if I'm watching a certain block of channels on one receiver then the other receiver must also be tuned to one of those particular channels, and if I'm watching another particular block of channels then the other receiver must be on one of those channels as well. I don't know if that's because the LNB is tuned to one satellite and the receiver is asking it to go to another, or if its spot-beam related, etc, since it seems as though if the first 311 is tuned to one of my local channels, the other one must be tuned to a local as well (doesn't matter which) and if the original 311 is tuned to any other channel, well you get the picture...

I looked into a separator, like what is used on my 722 dual, but I hear that won't work for two separate SD rec'rs. Can anyone confirm this?

Otherwise I need some kind of switch, but which will work? Remember, I've only got two lines coming in the house, not three, and one is being "separated" for the 722. Can I use one of those old 4-way multiswitches that i'm seeing on clearance everywhere? Any other suggestions?

Much appreciated.

You need to find out why that 3rd cable is dead. It could simply be disconnected since your original configuration didn't need it. Could also be as simple as a pulled-out or loose compression connector. Could also be a bent/broken/too short "stinger" (center conductor). Could be a defective ground block or barrel connector. Or maybe the cable itself is damaged or bad like water-logged. Worst case it could be a failed LNB. But I'd lay odds on one of the simpler solutions.

No "splitter" will give you a proper system for 3 receivers (you've already noted one problem!) and any switch will need all 3 of the LNBs feeding signals to it for you to get all the sat. slots to which you're currently pointed, which will require 3 working cables. Only the dual-tuner DPP receivers use the separator and its use will also require a DPP switch. When you get your new configuration working, which I believe will require a switch (DPP44) for 3 or more receivers, you'll still probably use just the one cable to the 722 with the separator to save running another cable and to free-up one output of the switch for future expansion. (You could also use a DP34 switch but I believe that will not work with a separator so you would need the second cable to the 722.)

Sounds to me like you know enough to at least trouble-shoot the "bad" cable first.

If the service call cost is the issue, add the "DHPP" to your account then schedule a service call, which at that point shouldn't exceed $25. (Wait a month before you drop DHPP however.)

Welcome, BTW...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Will do.

I'm curious, how does that "separator" work that's hooked to my dual receiver? How is it that I can watch independent programming with my dual receiver and its only using one line from the dish? And why can't I capitolize on this technology on the remaining lines coming in?

See the attachment

It's part of the Dish Pro Plus technology that allows "stacking" 2 different signals on one cable, as being "requested" by the 2 separate tuners in one unit. See the attachment for more information. I can't answer the ? about why it won't work on different lines coming into your house from the LNBs, but it will work on any of the 4 outputs on a DPP44 switch. This brochure is dated, acceptable receivers also include ViPs 222, 622, 722.

(PS I edited my first response since you replied. Reread it for the latest...)

Attachments

• DISH Pro Plus Separator - Quick Facts.pdf
    960.6 KB · Views: 229
The separator just splits the high and low halves of the incoming signal. The DPP receiver communicates with the switch and tells it that instead of odd and even channels from a single LNBF, to give it a combination of whatever the two inputs need.

Because the two 311s have only one tuner each and don't know about each other, there is no way for the separator to be used in this situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)