Satellite TV piracy and account stacking

That's because Dish Network/DirecTV's garbage over-compressed channels aren't worth pirating. They're not worth paying for and they're also not even worth watching even if you can get them for free.

You can pirate all of that content from superior sources elsewhere. Certainly any scripted shows, will have vastly superior rips from web streaming sources available.

And if you absolutely *must* pirate satellite TV then cutting out the middle-man and pirating the C-band source feeds is obviously the way to go these days.

Nothing at all wrong with my Internet. IPTV is just inferior to satellite.

...You think that clean, commercial-free 2160p HDR HEVC streams from Netflix/Amazon/Apple TV+/Disney+ featuring bitrates up to 24 Mbps are "inferior" to 1440x1080 interlaced, over-compressed low bitrate garbage full of commercials and channel bugs from DirecTV/Dish?

And that's not even talking about the audio -- a 768 Kbps E-AC3 5.1 Dolby Atmos stream from Netflix/Disney+/Apple TV+ blows away satellite TV even in the audio department.

I don't want some of what you're smoking.

Reactions: I WANT MORE
That's because Dish Network/DirecTV's garbage over-compressed channels aren't worth pirating. They're not worth paying for and they're also not even worth watching even if you can get them for free.

You can pirate all of that content from superior sources elsewhere. Certainly any scripted shows, will have vastly superior rips from web streaming sources available.

And if you absolutely *must* pirate satellite TV then cutting out the middle-man and pirating the C-band source feeds is obviously the way to go these days.

...You think that clean, commercial-free 2160p HDR HEVC streams from Netflix/Amazon/Apple TV+/Disney+ featuring bitrates up to 24 Mbps are "inferior" to 1440x1080 interlaced, over-compressed low bitrate garbage full of commercials and channel bugs from DirecTV/Dish?

And that's not even talking about the audio -- a 768 Kbps E-AC3 5.1 Dolby Atmos stream from Netflix/Disney+/Apple TV+ blows away satellite TV even in the audio department.

I don't want some of what you're smoking.
To be fair, I doubt he's considering Netflix and the other Pay Streaming Services as IPTV. IPTV is certainly not as good as Dish is you consider reliability and UI. Sure, streams may beat Dish/DTV in picture quality, but they are not always stable.
I've seen a buddy with one of the illegal IPTVs have a hell of a time trying to get a sports game to work. That's when I knew it was not for me. Maybe if it was free, but he was shelling out $20/mo for a headache!

I heard you can buy hacked accounts for like Netflix and Disney plus. Seems like a lot of work to save a few bucks a month, plus you never know when your account will be banned/cancelled.

We def notice an IMPROVEMENT with our satellite over OUR own IPTV experiences (PSvue, Slingtv, Hulu and youtubetv). I don't think calling Netflix and Disney + IPTV is fair though. IPTV is live tv streamed, while those listed streaming services are video on demand.

Maybe something was wrong with our internet connection too, it doesn't change the fact that the quality varies with those products depending on where you are at and who you are with. With satellite the quality is consistent, it doesn't matter where in the country you are or how great or poor your internet is. There is a standard level of quality there that you can expect with minimal effort.

Reactions: edisonprime
I'm on a trial of youtube tv now. I upped my internet to 200 MBPS from 100, and have found that at night, my internet crawls to around 20 MBPS. I'm all over Optimum about it, but don't have any other options in my area, so I am at Optimums mercy.
Youtube tv is pretty cool, and I will cancel Directv if I can get my internet speeds straightened out. Picture is great on multiple streams during the day, but I get some lag with my slow internet at night.

I'm on a trial of youtube tv now. I upped my internet to 200 MBPS from 100, and have found that at night, my internet crawls to around 20 MBPS. I'm all over Optimum about it, but don't have any other options in my area, so I am at Optimums mercy.
Youtube tv is pretty cool, and I will cancel Directv if I can get my internet speeds straightened out. Picture is great on multiple streams during the day, but I get some lag with my slow internet at night.
Your internet slows down at night because everyone gets home from work and starts streaming stuff. It will only keep getting worse with more people switching to streaming tv.

That's what I'm finding. Great during the day, but at night, not so good. I think I'm going to stick with D* for a while longer. Cable guy said their supposed to run fiber in my area soon. I won't hold my breath though.

Before I left DirecTV I had a conversation with the conditional access people who maintain the encryption and although they cannot and will not discuss details, they did say at that time hacking is all but gone. If someone could crack the system and get free DirecTV it would be very, very short lived and then the hacker would have to start all over again. So basically its not worth the hassle.

Probably the only reason Directv had hacking issues back in 2000 was because they didn't consider the effort people would be willing to go through for free TV. Once they took it seriously and used strong encryption, the only way piracy would be possible is if someone got Directv's encryption keys. And that wouldn't really be an issue, since any decent encryption system supports a way to revoke compromised keys and go to one of multiple "backup" keys that exist solely for that circumstance.

Back then streaming video over the internet was not possible for 99.9% of people so you had to have a solution to use the Directv signal coming down on your house. Now streaming is a reality so if you want to pirate TV you do it via a streaming service that receives legitimate content and captures and re-encodes it.

Even if it were possible to crack Directv's encryption no one would be interested in buying hacked Directv receivers these days, when it is much cheaper (and less risky from a legal standpoint of being prosecuted) to sign up for some pirate streaming service using Kodi.

I remember the days of FTA and such... I 'heard' about atmegas, jtags and all such things...but once you go into some sort of agreement (not a customer agreement) with a provider...the past is best left in the past.

I know the level of encryption has been very high from the inception of DirecTV and at some point in the distant past hackers and technology advanced and allowed various ways in. DIrecTV changed some things, swapped out all cards and brought the system to a new level of security. Then employees of NDS who are responsible for encryption leaked out information that allowed hackers to take over again. There was a lawsuit between DirecTV and NDS over the breach and massive cost to change out cards again and then a funny thing happened. Rupert Murdoch purchased DirecTV and the encryption breach lawsuite went away. Why? Because Murdoch owned NDS.

Probably the only reason Directv had hacking issues back in 2000 was because they didn't consider the effort people would be willing to go through for free TV. Once they took it seriously and used strong encryption, the only way piracy would be possible is if someone got Directv's encryption keys. And that wouldn't really be an issue, since any decent encryption system supports a way to revoke compromised keys and go to one of multiple "backup" keys that exist solely for that circumstance.

Back then streaming video over the internet was not possible for 99.9% of people so you had to have a solution to use the Directv signal coming down on your house. Now streaming is a reality so if you want to pirate TV you do it via a streaming service that receives legitimate content and captures and re-encodes it.

Even if it were possible to crack Directv's encryption no one would be interested in buying hacked Directv receivers these days, when it is much cheaper (and less risky from a legal standpoint of being prosecuted) to sign up for some pirate streaming service using Kodi.

Reactions: AZ.
When directv first started...all you needed was a smart card reader to reset the smart card....infact they went after people for piracy because they had a smart card reader... encryption is really good today but most thieves can find football on the internet without even messing with satellite tv
I know the level of encryption has been very high from the inception of DirecTV and at some point in the distant past hackers and technology advanced and allowed various ways in. DIrecTV changed some things, swapped out all cards and brought the system to a new level of security. Then employees of NDS who are responsible for encryption leaked out information that allowed hackers to take over again. There was a lawsuit between DirecTV and NDS over the breach and massive cost to change out cards again and then a funny thing happened. Rupert Murdoch purchased DirecTV and the encryption breach lawsuite went away. Why? Because Murdoch owned NDS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Many years ago, my friend got busted pirating satellite TV. He had a old computer somehow hooked up to do it. Anyhow, the place he got stuff from got busted and got his name. He had to pay a fine.

I can't go into any more detail but there is no "reset" on the cards and you needed information and to do more with the smart card reader.

When directv first started...all you needed was a smart card reader to reset the smart card....infact they went after people for piracy because they had a smart card reader... encryption is really good today but most thieves can find football on the internet without even messing with satellite tv

You clear the cards....basically when they uploaded to directv computers the data would be erased because there really wasnt alot of memory on the cards....the smart card reader read the data and then erased it from the card....I know you like to nitpic over stupid stuff...but atleast search the internet before you chastise me
I can't go into any more detail but there is no "reset" on the cards and you needed information and to do more with the smart card reader.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Basically when directv started...there was no real internet... very few people had a pc..and even fewer had smart card readers and satellite piracy was not a real issue...cband had a issue with people sharing input codes but the smart card eliminated that....so yes directv was very easy to crack in the early days...you needed a pc
You clear the cards....basically when they uploaded to directv computers the data would be erased because there really wasnt alot of memory on the cards....the smart card reader read the data and then erased it from the card....I know you like to nitpic over stupid stuff...but atleast search the internet before you chastise me

Reactions: Captain Midnight
So if not satellite who are the sources of content that pirates are selling out there today? cable?
Is NFL Sunday Ticket offered by pirates? if so where would they get it from?

I’m to the point I rarely watch Live tv.

Hulu/Netflix/Disney Plus has everything I need these days, they release so much content I always find something to watch.

Let’s not forget Amazon Prime streaming too.

Reactions: stardust3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts