Satellite TV’s Orbit Is Failing Fast

But that's not a "promise". It's a listed possibility (possibly by a manufacturer) of a potential capability. THAT'S my point. If you had broadcasters (usually through the NAB) saying "If we had ATSC 3.0, we will give everyone high speed internet.", THAT'S a promise. Someone saying "With ATSC 3.0, high speed internet could be sent over the television airways", that's not a promise.
Promise has more than one definition:

the quality of potential excellence.
"he showed great promise even as a junior officer"
synonyms: potential, ability, aptitude, capability, capacity, potentiality;

or

a declaration or assurance that one will do a particular thing or that a particular thing will happen.
"what happened to all those firm promises of support?"
synonyms: word of honor, word, assurance, pledge, vow, guarantee, oath, bond, undertaking, agreement, commitment, contract, covenant, compact

So yes ATSC has great promise (potential) but the broadcasters have not promised (guaranteed) to deliver on the promise (potential).

yeah the same yeah the same here I also have Charter Spectrum and although it is expensive I really do feel that at least I get no caps for that price, but while I get 100mps down they only give me about 10 to 15 MPS up. that's really my big gripe: I would really prefer a little faster Upstream even if it meant I was just a little slower on the downstream because sometimes we have Dish Anywhere going upstream and or Slingbox going upstream. I'd be happy with Up 30 and down 70.

Charter has been offering a 30 down service now for $14.95 a month, but with my son playing his games, streaming movies and streaming Roku, and using wifi (loss of 50%), the option is not there for me. If he moves out, I pay look at the 30.

But that's not a "promise". It's a listed possibility (possibly by a manufacturer) of a potential capability. THAT'S my point. If you had broadcasters (usually through the NAB) saying "If we had ATSC 3.0, we will give everyone high speed internet.", THAT'S a promise. Someone saying "With ATSC 3.0, high speed internet could be sent over the television airways", that's not a promise.

True, but several of the Portland (OR) TV stations are looking at that extra revenue. So they may do it. At least here. Time will tell.

Charter has been offering a 30 down service now for $14.95 a month, but with my son playing his games, streaming movies and streaming Roku, and using wifi (loss of 50%), the option is not there for me. If he moves out, I pay look at the 30.

Loss of 50%? Why? Is the router far away? You really should look into a dual band router; you'll love the speeds you'll have on the 5 Ghz band.

If the plan you’re talking about is the same one I think you’re talking about, that plan requires you to be on some kind of social assistance program.. national school lunch program or supplemental security income.

Low Income Internet Assistance for Families, Students, & Seniors | Spectrum

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The only way to get the 30Mb for $15 plan from Spectrum (Internet Assist) is to meet the one of the three requirements outlined in the link. No exceptions.

If you are not on SSI or don't have a child in the National School Lunch Program, the only other way to get Internet Assist is by living in a low income area where all kids qualify of the NSLP regardless of if you have kids going to school or not. That is bullet point number 2 regarding the Community Eligibility Provision. Otherwise you do not qualify and you'll have to get base internet at 100 x 10 or 200 x 10 for $66 standalone or $60 when bundled with TV.

In NY State and maybe some other places there is the left over Time Warner Everyday Low Price internet tier that is $15 for 3 Mb that only has to be offered for a few more years as a condition of the merger.

The only way to get the 30Mb for $15 plan from Spectrum (Internet Assist) is to meet the one of the three requirements outlined in the link. No exceptions.

If you are not on SSI or don't have a child in the National School Lunch Program, the only other way to get Internet Assist is by living in a low income area where all kids qualify of the NSLP regardless of if you have kids going to school or not. That is bullet point number 2 regarding the Community Eligibility Provision. Otherwise you do not qualify and you'll have to get base internet at 100 x 10 or 200 x 10 for $66 standalone or $60 when bundled with TV.

In NY State and maybe some other places there is the left over Time Warner Everyday Low Price internet tier that is $15 for 3 Mb that only has to be offered for a few more years as a condition of the merger.

Nope. Set my parents up on the plan in October and no income requirements were needed. They are in a former TWC area and perhaps there was some exception made there, I don't know.

92BDCD00-1DEA-4D99-A0EC-6993F66EE2E3.jpeg

Also, see this thread: Need a recommend for my parents

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Are they on Internet Assist (30 x 4) or Everyday Low Price (3 x 1)?

Also, Charter's database has areas that are CEP eligible defined, so no proof of eligibility or income requirements are needed, you get it automatically. Here is a link to the CEP database. Look up your parents school district, if there's a Yes in the Participation in CEP column then they qualify for Internet Assist no questions asked.

Community Eligibility Data

I think I read somewhere in this thread (or at least somewhere in Satellite guys) where someone said Direct indicated they will not be launching any more satellites. I suppose the same goes for Dish. As far as anyone knows, Is this correct?

I don't know. I am maybe 20 feet from the router and I get 50-60 out of the 100. I do use a Night Hawk dual band.

How much do you get if you are connected to via Ethernet to the router? My parents are supposed to get 100 from Spectrum where they live, but they really only get around 30.

How much do you get if you are connected to via Ethernet to the router? My parents are supposed to get 100 from Spectrum where they live, but they really only get around 30.
Have your parents called Spectrum about the issue? Keep reporting the problem to Spectrum till they come up with a fix or answer why the slower speed.

Have your parents called Spectrum about the issue? Keep reporting the problem to Spectrum till they come up with a fix or answer why the slower speed.

Yeah, the whole town is affected. They've complained to Spectrum and the NY PSC. Spectrum almost certainly needs more backhaul for their location, although no one will admit that. There's is one of the areas affected by the NY lawsuit against Spectrum over speeds, so hopefully it will improve soon.

Look over the past few years how much the prices have gone up on some of the streaming service.

There is no cord cutting... you are still paying the same people.

Most streamers are running losses to try to build market share, so prices are a little less. But bandwith caps will get us in the end. I do not think streaming is sustainable with multiple tvs. Furthermore, there will be a big shakeout yet to come in streaming. Way too many streaming services....Youtube, Vue, Hulu,Sling,DirectvNow, Fubo, ATTNow, etc. Something will give.

Reactions: JSheridan
Most streamers are running losses to try to build market share, so prices are a little less. But bandwith caps will get us in the end. I do not think streaming is sustainable with multiple tvs. Furthermore, there will be a big shakeout yet to come in streaming. Way too many streaming services....Youtube, Vue, Hulu,Sling,DirectvNow, Fubo, ATTNow, etc. Something will give.

My prediction: one or two companies will swoop in and buy all of the smaller streamers.

Yeah, they're still in the "gold rush" era of OTT streaming, aka The Peak of Inflated Expectations if you're familiar with the Gartner Hype Cycle. Soon they will slip down the steep slope into the Trough of Disillusionment.

Reactions: navychop
My prediction: one or two companies will swoop in and buy all of the smaller streamers.

No need to buy, just lower prices for a bit and customers will come. Some will outright fold. Centurylink had a decent streaming service for awhile, but it folded. I predict in the end Directv will be sold to DISH and the two will merge operations. ATT will focus on it's core businesses.

No need to buy, just lower prices for a bit and customers will come. Some will outright fold. Centurylink had a decent streaming service for awhile, but it folded. I predict in the end Directv will be sold to DISH and the two will merge operations. ATT will focus on it's core businesses.

Directv being sold to Dish would be the best thing that could happen to either company at this point IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts