SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

I want to connect my 722K wirelessly to my home network. Will the Logitech Revue replace the USB wireless adapter or do I need both?
You can use the Revue to do this. Connect the Revue wirelessly to your network, and connect the 722k to the Revue's ethernet port. The 722k will be on a "private" subnet independant your main home network, and will not be detectible by other devices on your network. But, and this is a big but, it will be connected to the Internet, allowing you to program the DVR, delete recordings, etc from the Dish website.

The Logitech Revue screws with the audio from the source, outputting PCM thru its HDMI output, instead of bitstream. It will annoyingly take a perfectly good DD5.1 signal from your source STB, and turn it into compressed, lifeless, stereo crap. And, because it's a 5/7.1 PCM signal, even though it is using only 2 channels of it, it will remain stereo from your AVR, as Dolby PLII will not enhance what it thinks is already 5/7.1. For that reason, I have my living room GTV setup as a standalone source device. I do not pass any signal thru it from my source DVR. (My BR unit is setup in the standard pass-thru configuration, as I normally just use the TV sound in there.)

The "beta" update that Scott found on his Revue does not fix this glaring audio design flaw. (I might or might not have the same update. I'm not at liberty to say. But, I do know it doesn't fix it.)

Thanks! Was hoping the surround sound was a non-issue after updates.

The Logitech Revue screws with the audio from the source, outputting PCM thru its HDMI output, instead of bitstream. It will annoyingly take a perfectly good DD5.1 signal from your source STB, and turn it into compressed, lifeless, stereo crap. And, because it's a 5/7.1 PCM signal, even though it is using only 2 channels of it, it will remain stereo from your AVR, as Dolby PLII will not enhance what it thinks is already 5/7.1. For that reason, I have my living room GTV setup as a standalone source device. I do not pass any signal thru it from my source DVR. (My BR unit is setup in the standard pass-thru configuration, as I normally just use the TV sound in there.)

The "beta" update that Scott found on his Revue does not fix this glaring audio design flaw. (I might or might not have the same update. I'm not at liberty to say. But, I do know it doesn't fix it.)

There is an easy way to ensure that you are getting dolby digital 5.1 sound passed through via Google TV/Logitec Revue;

Just run a Toslink digital audio cable out from your Google Tv/Logitec box, to your AV receiver; make sure you are monitoring the input you connected the to Toslink cable to, and, voila, you have DD 5.1 sound outputted!

Verified, and tested on my setup now!

So I noticed that the hdmi pcm wasn't 5.1 when fed a 5.1 signal. so i hooked up the optical out and found if i set up the revue to output DD from optical i had the same issue (only stereo), but if i set it to PCM i could use Pro Logic and i got 5.1. i am using the userdebug 3.1 leak btw.

I've been considering picking up a Revue since the price dropped to $99 but was wondering if there was any advantage to having one with the new blockbuster program. Will there be any type on integration to be able to use the Revue to manage my queue and and to make the streaming process easier?

Character Zero said:
So I noticed that the hdmi pcm wasn't 5.1 when fed a 5.1 signal. so i hooked up the optical out and found if i set up the revue to output DD from optical i had the same issue (only stereo), but if i set it to PCM i could use Pro Logic and i got 5.1. i am using the userdebug 3.1 leak btw.

Keep in mind you are still not getting the actual 5.1, you are converting 2 channels to 'fake' 5.1 which isnt nearly as good. Hopefully future updates will resolve the issue.

Ok I tested epsn3 (which is not watchespn.com and it works on the Revue with the new software.

Quality kept going from 5 bars (excellent quality) down to 1 bar. But cool none the less. :)

Ok I tested epsn3 (which is not watchespn.com and it works on the Revue with the new software.

Quality kept going from 5 bars (excellent quality) down to 1 bar. But cool none the less. :)

does it work with the 922 yet? what has happened to the sling extender for the 922 on it being out ? ty for help and reply :)

There is an easy way to ensure that you are getting dolby digital 5.1 sound passed through via Google TV/Logitec Revue;

Just run a Toslink digital audio cable out from your Google Tv/Logitec box, to your AV receiver; make sure you are monitoring the input you connected the to Toslink cable to, and, voila, you have DD 5.1 sound outputted!

Verified, and tested on my setup now!
Is it true DD5.1, or is your AVR taking stereo and simulating 5.1 using Dolby PLII or some such?
And, btw, running an optical audio cable is not so easy for some of us. Pulling my sh!t out of the ent center just to plug in a bazillion-year-old technology cable is no easy task.
I'd prefer the Revue simply work the way it should and output a proper DD bitstream signal from the HDMI output, passing thru the original content unadulterated. This should be a no-brainer.

So no way to get "real" 5.1 out of the revue?
Not right now.
The fellow above seems to be saying he gets DD5.1

Its True DD 5.1 No doubt about it
and, since when is using a digital audio cable "bazillion year old technology"?
Sure, in a perfect world, a single hdmi cable would be easier, but, things aren't always perfect when it comes to new technology, like Google TV

As far as dealing with pulling stuff out of your Entertainment center, I always make sure that I don't "button things up" until I am 100% certain everything works perfectly,. so for me, it was no big deal accessing my stuff.
Sorry if its a pain for you...

It could very well be that things work fine over optical. HDMI is fubared for sure, but people were reporting optical didn't work either so I was going off what they said about that. Manufacturers usually get optical right since it has been around forever, but problems over HDMI are very common in initial firmware releases on media players, Blu-Ray players, etc.

Well here was my results I was watching a movie on my 722 that had 5.1 DD.
Revue on 3.1 Userdebug

Optical directly out of 722 - DD shows on receiver - all speakers have sound
HDMI out of revue - PCM on receiver - only L/R speakers have sound
Optical out of Revue (Dolby Digital setting) - DD on reciever - only L/R had sound - choppy sound also
Optical out of Revue (PCM setting) - Stereo (PCM maybe?) on receiver - all speakers had sound due to Pro Logic being applied.

I moved my Revue off of my 922 (which it does not work yet with intergration) to my 722K.

I have found one very annoying thing about this firmware update that makes me HATE this box more then even. I tried to pair it will my 722k so I could use the keyboard as a remote control. It found my 722k instantly and then popped up a message on my 722k with a phone number to call DISH and activate the GoogleTV intergration. I dont want the intergration, I just want to use the keyboard as a remote control. Now in the new firmware you can not complete the pairing to a supported DISH Network receiver until you call and activate the $4 a month add on service... a sevice I consider a sham.

This box is more worthless now then it was before the honeycomb upgrade. GRR!

I moved my Revue off of my 922 (which it does not work yet with intergration) to my 722K.

I have found one very annoying thing about this firmware update that makes me HATE this box more then even. I tried to pair it will my 722k so I could use the keyboard as a remote control. It found my 722k instantly and then popped up a message on my 722k with a phone number to call DISH and activate the GoogleTV intergration. I dont want the intergration, I just want to use the keyboard as a remote control. Now in the new firmware you can not complete the pairing to a supported DISH Network receiver until you call and activate the $4 a month add on service... a sevice I consider a sham.

Scott;

Does your TV have more than one HDMI in?
If so, you should be able to just run a hdmi cable out from the Google Box, to HDMI2 or whatever, and then when you want to use the google box, you can just use it that way..

It sucks the way every TV/AVR seems to handle this integration differently.

I have a newer Panny TV, a newer Pioneer AVR,and they seem to handle everything pretty smoothly...

I agree; paying 4 bucks a month is just silly for the "integration".....
I'd rather they just raise my basic bill 4 dollars per month, instead of tacking on a silly charge like this...

I don't think that is the new software, I had that issue with the old 2.1 software. The only way to control the Dish 722 DVR was through paying for the integration.

Well here was my results I was watching a movie on my 722 that had 5.1 DD.
Revue on 3.1 Userdebug

Optical directly out of 722 - DD shows on receiver - all speakers have sound
HDMI out of revue - PCM on receiver - only L/R speakers have sound
Optical out of Revue (Dolby Digital setting) - DD on reciever - only L/R had sound - choppy sound also
Optical out of Revue (PCM setting) - Stereo (PCM maybe?) on receiver - all speakers had sound due to Pro Logic being applied.

Others will have to chime in on your 3rd option, but as to the 4th option...that makes sense because optical only supports 2 channel PCM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts