SatelliteGuys spamming? (No it's not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
charper1 said:
I say let it die, and not try to turn this against Chad now and admit it out loud that Chad was 1000% correct.

I TOO could not read 20% of what that poster was trying to type and he was trying to stonewall Chad's information as bunk.

He may not be perfect but he can darn well use the spell checker like the rest of us IF he want's to make a useful statement that we can understand. He got shown Chad's info and now he wants to turn it into Chad was being rude. Everyone should go back and read the ENTIRE thread, Chad was getting dumped on and remained true to his mission.

I say lets all move past this and thank you Chad & thank you Scott!

Lets all get back to the TV or our kids!

Well that was well put. Thank you very much. I truly appreciate that. Neutron and Cascade seem to want to jump all over me.

I think I even found a new signature. :D

I just checked I also got one.

ke4est said:
I just checked I also got one.

For those who missed it: it appears the spammer was monitoring the outgoing mail server (the spammer and SatelliteGuys share a common server) and got EVERY email address that passed through it.

nvm i read over the whole thread. Being a website admin I know whats goin on now :)
I've got spambustaz anyway.

BTW chad, from the start when i first started reading I was always on ur side, tho at the end it seemed everyone went to ur side anyway. I know alot about this stuff and you were being correct the whole time.

iXneonXi said:
nvm i read over the whole thread. Being a website admin I know whats goin on now :)
I've got spambustaz anyway.

The site I write at uses SpamAssassin. We've been very pleased.

iXneonXi said:
BTW chad, from the start when i first started reading I was always on ur side, tho at the end it seemed everyone went to ur side anyway. I know alot about this stuff and you were being correct the whole time.

Me feel so loved. Me not want go home. (There's a voice for that, kind of a weak crackling voice, from some movie. I canNOT remember it. If you know it, please let me know.)

If there is anyone with a spelling problem its me. :D Actually normally its not spelling issues, its normally typing issues. :)

Thanks Chad for bringing this to our attention.

I wouldn't really have thought twice about the spam I got today if you did not let us know.

Hey Scott, I know there are bigger fish to fry right now, but what are the chances of getting an automatic spell check to run during the post mode like email does? Have it exclude words with URL or email info and numbers. We HAVE to stop these "grammar nazis" aka "spelling nazis". They really make life very difficult and lead to disinformation, confusion, stress, and the decay of our modern language. It really has no place outside of IM/2-way if even there. It surely has no place here.

Scott Greczkowski said:
If there is anyone with a spelling problem its me. :D Actually normally its not spelling issues, its normally typing issues. :)

Thanks Chad for bringing this to our attention.

I wouldn't really have thought twice about the spam I got today if you did not let us know.

I wouldn't have either except for that technique I use. My first thought was, "SatelliteGuys spamming? Something's not right there." Just didn't add up. Glad to help. :)

chaddux said:
The site I write at uses SpamAssassin. We've been very pleased.

We have a bunch of spam stuff in place here including Spam Assassin on the server as well as a seperate mail server which receives all incoming mail scaning it for Viri and spam (Via Spirus).

Our EXIM configuration is also heavily modified to prevent spam and VIRI from getting in.

We do what we can to keep the crap out. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
We do what we can to keep the crap out. :D

You may keep the crap out but it doesn't help if some jackass is monitoring the pipes! :D

Any more news from ThePlanet?

charper1 said:
Hey Scott, I know there are bigger fish to fry right now, but what are the chances of getting an automatic spell check to run during the post mode like email does? Have it exclude words with URL or email info and numbers. We HAVE to stop these "grammar nazis" aka "spelling nazis". They really make life very difficult and lead to disinformation, confusion, stress, and the decay of our modern language. It really has no place outside of IM/2-way if even there. It surely has no place here.

If people have a problem with others spelling and grammer then they don't belong here. :) Those folks should instead be redirected to DBSTalk and made a member of the "I Love Nick" fan club. :) (It's a joke folks... Calm down) :)

Actually within the next few days I will start testing vBulletin 3.50 and as soon as I can get it running with all of our existing features we will put it in place here. I don't know if it features auto spell check but it will fix a number of issues we are having.

Thanks again all for your feedback.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually within the next few days I will start testing vBulletin 3.50.

You might hold up on that. I've got a link somewhere but there is allegedly an issue with database loss in 3.5. Some sort of conversion error. Make sure you have a backup!

chaddux said:
You may keep the crap out but it doesn't help if some jackass is monitoring the pipes! :D

Any more news from ThePlanet?

The only way the person could monitor the pipes was to be behind the planets firewall, which this person was.

The Planet has said they are taking care of the issue. No more then that (Normally for abuse cases they don't say much) but again since this exposes a flaw in the setup of stuff at the Planet I am sure they want to fix the issue asap before others start reporting it and webmasters get upset about the flaw.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The only way the person could monitor the pipes was to be behind the planets firewall, which this person was.

The Planet has said they are taking care of the issue. No more then that (Normally for abuse cases they don't say much) but again since this exposes a flaw in the setup of stuff at the Planet I am sure they want to fix the issue asap before others start reporting it and webmasters get upset about the flaw.

If I read that correctly: inside job?

chaddux said:
You might hold up on that. I've got a link somewhere but there is allegedly an issue with database loss. Some sort of conversion error. Make sure you have a backup!

We go lots of backups. :)

Besides I would test it first on our beta server, I just would not dump it on a live site without testing it first. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
We go lots of backups. :)

Besides I would test it first on our beta server, I just would not dump it on a live site without testing it first. :)

Some people believe other people have tested it and it must be good so they just do it. Then, they want to know where their database has gone to. It go to database heaven. :D

chaddux said:
If I read that correctly: inside job?

No just someone who was basically in the same rack as the SatelliteGuys mail server. This way it was behind The Planets Firewall which would have filtered them out normally. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
No just someone who was basically in the same rack as the SatelliteGuys mail server. This way it was behind The Planets Firewall which would have filtered them out normally. :)

Well, if ThePlanet needs my address to send me a reward, let me know. :haha

(For the laughing impaired, that's a joke.)

chaddux said:
Well that was well put. Thank you very much. I truly appreciate that. Neutron and Cascade seem to want to jump all over me.

I think I even found a new signature. :D

I didn't jump all over you. I was simply defending one of our members. I don't like to see any of our members bashed. The comment I was referring to was:

"You can't speak English so maybe you can't read English either."

I do want to say thank you for bringing the spam to our attention. Hopefully theplanet.com will take appropriate action.

Neutron said:
I didn't jump all over you. I was simply defending one of our members. I don't like to see any of our members bashed. The comment I was referring to was:

"You can't speak English so maybe you can't read English either."

I do want to say thank you for bringing the spam to our attention. Hopefully theplanet.com will take appropriate action.

Why do you keep bringing this up? You first brought it back up with your "see what happens when we're calm" comment and now you're saying that I "bashed" a member. Let it go! It's over. We can all sit back and enjoy whatever details ThePlanet gives us.

I do appreciate your thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts