SatelliteGuys spamming? (No it's not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yah I can't wait to hear what they say.

BTW about the database loss, IMHO, if it is anything of what I have experienced I usually backup the database before installing an updated forums software. Then I just replace the outdated files with the new ones. It usually works just fine with all posts and data intact. Unless there were some major database optimizations usually there should be an option to "optimize database" which should rebuilt in some ways your tables to better fit the new version (hopefully the software supports it, i'm almost sure vB supports it because the $$). This probably isn't the best way but it works for me, and it saves time and bandwidth. This is coming from a noobie and very poor web admin tho lol.

iXneonXi said:
yah I can't wait to hear what they say.

As Scott said, they may not say much since it's an abuse issue but we'll take what we can get!

iXneonXi said:
BTW about the database loss, IMHO, if it is anything of what I have experienced I usually backup the database before installing an updated forums software.

Most people would. You never know who wouldn't. Actually, what I meant was that issue could be part of a larger database problem that might not crop up until later. I can't find the link to that story!

vBulletin 3.5 should be a small upgrade, which shouldn't affect the database too bad. Knowing what Scott does for a living, and how much time and effort he puts into Satelliteguys there will be a full backup done of the database just in case.

oh yah, and you can always make sure if everything is ok using a database checking program (possibly build into your software) or manually check in phpmyadmin. I really like the optimize options with some mySQL software, it will rebuild some tables to be more efficient.

I just received another very insightful email which said that I *may* qualify for a free laptop. I only have to accumulate 899 reward points, .1 at a time. That's just 8990 referrals I must get! Spammers are just too clever. Don't worry: it wasn't to my SatelliteGuys address. :D

Hasn't anyone seen that text that was sent around by some college that mixed up a bunch of letters of words in a paragraph and it is still readable? Basically it proves that we read the shapes and words as a whole and not letter by letter so it's possible to mix up letters and still be legible. Even so I still always make an attempt to run the spell check when I make long posts like this one in case I might've spelled something wrong.

BFG said:
Hasn't anyone seen that text that was sent around by some college that mixed up a bunch of letters of words in a paragraph and it is still readable? Basically it proves that we read the shapes and words as a whole and not letter by letter so it's possible to mix up letters and still be legible. Even so I still always make an attempt to run the spell check when I make long posts like this one in case I might've spelled something wrong.

It's been a while but I believe that they reversed the first and last letter of each word. I could be wrong about that. If anyone has a copy, I'd love to see it again.

Just FYI, I got that same SPAM message yesterday afternoon also, but I have never set up a satelliteguys.us email address, so it wasn't to any address of that sort. It was sent to my personal email account used for general communications from this site (news, when I get a new PM, etc.).

So I think in addition to inbound SMTP port sniffing, they were monitoring outbound SMTP traffic as well. And I see that the outgoing satelliteguys.us site notifications/communications mail comes from another 70.x.x.x (really 70.85.x.x) server.

Also, I didn't see this included in the headers in post #9 above, but mine has the following additional interesting tidbit:
X-Mailer: 3xP0s3r h4cK cReW r00t y0uR s3v3r/
For me personally it wasn't a big deal, since the "compromised" account is my "gullibleconsumer@..." account :D I set up just for times like this (when I first registered on here, I wasn't quite aware of the trustworthiness of this site, but over time I've come to know it as probably the most trustworthy site I visit :)). But I do feel for those whose previously relatively "pristine" addresses have been compromised. I hope ThePlanet pursues whoever did this.

TuxCoder said:
Also, I didn't see this included in the headers in post #9 above, but mine has the following additional interesting tidbit:

X-Mailer: 3xP0s3r h4cK cReW r00t y0uR s3v3r/

Sneaky Hack Claim! My guess (which wasn't hard)
"Triple Exposure Hack Crew Root Your Server"

TuxCoder said:
Just FYI, I got that same SPAM message yesterday afternoon also, but I have never set up a satelliteguys.us email address, so it wasn't to any address of that sort. It was sent to my personal email account used for general communications from this site (news, when I get a new PM, etc.).

I think that's been firmly established. I said it at least a dozen times and a dozen other people have said it as well. Not really an FYI, more of an AGI (already got it ;)). I bet that virtually everyone that got it does not have a satelliteguys.us email address. I don't have one either. It was sent to any email address that it snagged. Most likely, everyone here got it so it's not necessary for everyone to say that they got it. Otherwise, we'd have 10,000 posts saying, "I GOT IT TOO!"

I didn't see that line in my headers but it's very interesting!

Well, you're wrong in that I got it only at my Satelliteguys.us e-mail address, as well as others, so it hit that database as well.

Neutron said:
Well, you're wrong in that I got it only at my Satelliteguys.us e-mail address, as well as others, so it hit that database as well.

Who is wrong? I never said it hit any database. It didn't hit a database so you're wrong. It's monitoring traffic. ANY email address (satelliteguys.us or yahoo.com or whatever) would get snagged. I didn't say a satelliteguys.us would NOT be affected. I said that it was sent to "any email address that it snagged."

chaddux said:
It's been a while but I believe that they reversed the first and last letter of each word. I could be wrong about that. If anyone has a copy, I'd love to see it again.

This is what I received....

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg.The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset
can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is
bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh

SatelliteGAL said:

iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset
bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh
Amazingly I read that without a problem. :)

SatelliteGAL said:

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)