SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 01/19/2008

You know, we hear all the time that "Dish monitors these forums." If they actually do, they don't read very closely. They could solve a lot of the PR problems they have if they just COMMUNICATE with their customers. If it's going to be a while before we get these channels, just tell us. Just say: "Hey, we're having contractual issues with these channels." or "We're having to wait until we get the new sats up to put up more HD because of (insert reason here)" And give us a general timetable. I'd be fine with that. Just keep us informed. But, no. They continue with the silent treatment which leads to rumors, speculation, frustration.

Think about it: why would they need to do anything? As was observed by another poster above, most of their subscribers don't know that USA/SciFi-HD are even uplinked (or what that means) and the tone in these forums has been to gripe but, for the most part, do nothing. Even if they LOST most of the posters here it wouldn't amount to much, but few are even THREATENING to leave.

There's absolutely no reason for Dish to do anything except what they HAVE been doing for the last two or three months (on the national HD front): basically nothing.

The definition from Dictionary.com:

soon /sun/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[soon] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adverb, -er, -est.
1. within a short period after this or that time, event, etc.: We shall know soon after he calls.
2. before long; in the near future; at an early date: Let's leave soon.
3. promptly or quickly: He came as soon as he could.
4. readily or willingly: I would as soon walk as ride.
5. early in a period of time; before the time specified is much advanced: soon at night; soon in the evening.
6. Obsolete. immediately; at once; forthwith.
7. Slang. Echostar vernacular: Before the heat death of the universe.

good one :)

Attachments

• scifi_usa.PNG
    scifi_usa.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 278
Think about it: why would they need to do anything? As was observed by another poster above, most of their subscribers don't know that USA/SciFi-HD are even uplinked (or what that means) and the tone in these forums has been to gripe but, for the most part, do nothing. Even if they LOST most of the posters here it wouldn't amount to much, but few are even THREATENING to leave.

There's absolutely no reason for Dish to do anything except what they HAVE been doing for the last two or three months (on the national HD front): basically nothing.

For the most part you are right....how many subs actually read these forums ? Personally I have my Center Ice package that ends in April so will need to make some decisions then. That gives Dish 3 months to add some HD or continue to sit on their hands and do nothing.

Is this a change or has it been like this?

Nope. It's always been like this. One of the main reasons I say there is a contract issue. You won't catch them uplinking a channel without a contract again. They leaks from the hackers would get back to the channel execs quickly.

Oh its been like that since the names have been uplinked, heres to hoping it changes before Monday (or we get new rates)

edit: hmmm I posted this awhile ago and it just now showed up after digi's.

Why is it always E* that has contract issues? Ex. Yes Network, MLB Extra Innings, Locals, etc.

D* doesnt seem close to having these issues, and for all the talk on how E* is less expensive. Perhaps it is.. but by what, $3-5, depending on your package? E*: raise my bill by five bucks if this is what it takes not to have these issues. It isnt worth it.

D* doesnt seem close to having these issues, and for all the talk on how E* is less expensive. Perhaps it is.. but by what, $3-5, depending on your package? E*: raise my bill by five bucks if this is what it takes not to have these issues. It isnt worth it.

This is the gripe I have always had with them. People talk about how glad they are that Charlie is a great negotiator and he drives so hard to get the deal that is right for him so that Dish can be cheaper and how they are glad he does not pick up all of these "expensive" sports packages so that they don't have to be subsidized by everyone else ... etc .... but when you add it all up .... its an awful lot of trouble and dissatisfaction that is caused for the sake of a $3-5 savings per person.

I'm guessing he saves a LOT more from negotiations than he passes on to the end user. The rest probably goes towards buying him a few more buckets of sand for him to stick his head in so that he can pretend that they are still "the leader in HD"

:D

I wonder how much more Dish is charging the shopping channels for free access? Probably a deal since if your dish account gets cut off all you can see is shopping channels!

I like the one.... "How long is a rope?"

Works great in my line of work... when is the server going to be back up? I usually respond with "how long is a rope?"

Haha! My response is usually something like "Well, I almost had it fixed, but then the phone kept ringing with people asking when it would be fixed, so I had to keep stopping to answer the phone. So, it will be fixed when the phone stops ringing."

Not really - I don't think I'd keep customers that way. :)

I like the one.... "How long is a rope?"

Works great in my line of work... when is the server going to be back up? I usually respond with "how long is a rope?"

Or "how long is a Mobius strip"? :)

On the one hand this demonstrates that even after E*'s satellites are aloft there could be a wait for new national HD. The satellites give them the capacity but if we need Charlie to be satisfied with the deals he gets the channels STILL won't be there. Of course THIS issue (i.e. USA/SciFi-HD) could be capacity related but it isn't (as another poster pointed out) like E* hasn't refused to air certain channels in the past because the deal wasn't what they wanted.

On the other hand, I really wonder where D* is getting all the money they're spending on new satellites, new channels (e.g. information is they ran a special fiber link for MSG/FSNY-HD) and what I really suspect is surreptitious incentives to providers to start up "HD" channels. I can't remember D* holding up channels because of cost (not saying it hasn't happened, just that I don't remember it) and really wonder how they turn a profit.

Hey, but I guess that's why I'm poor and they're not.

To quote Morrisey, how soon is now?

The actual verse is better:

When you say it's going to happen now, what exactly do you mean?
Because I've already waited too long, and all my hope is gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts