SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 02/16/2008

This is probably a dumb question, but I am still a newb at this stuff. :)

Dish has been moving things around for a couple of months now. Why can't they just move everything all at once? I know, for internationals, there are customer concerns with needing repoints, but are there any other reasons why they can't do wholesale moves and just get this over with?

This is probably a dumb question, but I am still a newb at this stuff. :)

Dish has been moving things around for a couple of months now. Why can't they just move everything all at once? I know, for internationals, there are customer concerns with needing repoints, but are there any other reasons why they can't do wholesale moves and just get this over with?

They are staggering the different internationals and locals in order to give the installers time to do complete the work out in the field.

Any way to tell if 61.5 is in spot beam mode atm, or partially? Currently I do not have signal on TP 1 and 3. I have signal on 5,7,9,11,13 and 15. I wonder if anyone can pick up TP1 and 3 or are they just turned off at this time?

I see a couple of my locals (SD) had some movement:

7041 - WJET moved from EchoStar9 121W TP 14 ConUS beam to EchoStar9 121W TP 30 ConUS beam (A)
7042 - WSEE moved from EchoStar9 121W TP 14 ConUS beam to EchoStar9 121W TP 30 ConUS beam (A)

What does that actually mean, if anything?

Wow, look at all those MPEG2 SD channels. Wouldn't they have significantly more bandwidth to use for new MPEG4 HD channels if they were to convert these to MPEG4 SD?
There's a big tradeoff in going totally MPEG-4: all those millions of existing subs with MPEG-2 only receivers would need to be upgraded.

I see a couple of my locals (SD) had some movement:

7041 - WJET moved from EchoStar9 121W TP 14 ConUS beam to EchoStar9 121W TP 30 ConUS beam (A)
7042 - WSEE moved from EchoStar9 121W TP 14 ConUS beam to EchoStar9 121W TP 30 ConUS beam (A)

What does that actually mean, if anything?

Part of the migration of local channels leaving 121/105 superdishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts