SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 09/08/2007

That would be great if it were the BTN..... :hungry:

It would but keep in mind E* may be merely testing the channel for negotiation purposes.

I waited 11 months for my HD RSN with E*, it was uplinked but unavailable for several of those months.

Fool me once...

..And Scott posted an announcement for something happening in 2 days on the front page...

Tick Tock, Tick Tock
Something is coming in just two days! Plus some exciting new features and some changes... What can it be? Stay tuned!

..And Scott posted an announcement for something happening in 2 days on the front page...

Tick Tock, Tick Tock
Something is coming in just two days! Plus some exciting new features and some changes... What can it be? Stay tuned!

I think that has to do with Satellite Guys not programming.

NightRyder

Are they done with the HD MPEG4 conversion yet?

No, but the point is to encourage adoption.

They're adding new HD in mpeg4 only. Why not SD also?

Just because some of the HD channels are not converted doesn't mean the SD has to be left as mpeg2.

What a great way to get better SD clarity in less SD space.

No, but the point is to encourage adoption.

They're adding new HD in mpeg4 only. Why not SD also?

Just because some of the HD channels are not converted doesn't mean the SD has to be left as mpeg2.

What a great way to get better SD clarity in less SD space.

From a business stand point it doesn't make sense right now. Think about it.

I'd be pissed if a new SD channel appears on my living room receiver and doesn't appear on the other 4 receivers in the house. A typical customer isn't going to know, they are just going to call up and say "fix it!". We haven't seen any deals for upgrading on SD receivers like we did for the VOOM conversion. We will most likely continue to see MPEG2 SD additions until the HD conversion is complete. Then you'll see the deals for the receivers released and the campaign will begin to convert the international folks over, the AT250 customers, and down the line. It might not go exactly like this with the new future all MPEG4 service coming into the picture down the road.

I agree. They can't make the SD conversion to mpeg4 until the come up with a plan to swap out all the mpeg2 receivers. I still think they will duplicate all the SD in mpeg4 after the new sat launches. There's a ton of old boxes out there.

Its sounding more like Big 10 Network is coming

sigh, i wish i was as much a believer as you. however, i just dont see this happening. The Big Ten announcement from Charlie is what ended any optimism i had. i wish i would be able to watch the buckeye's from home on my couch, but it looks like ill be headed down to the local bar to watch this on D*. they had their install finished right before kickoff last weekend.

Don't forget Charlie is a poker player:

1) Announcement of "Big 10" matches on channels other than BTN. IE "If we don't make a deal, we can live with that".

2) Uplink the BTN channels. IE "If you agree to our compromise, 12 million viewers for you tomorrow".

In other words, E* shows they are willing to do without BTN, but they are also ready to do a deal.

This is the only way to enact a compromise whereby those who want BTN can get it, and those who don't watch sports won't have to see an increase in their bill.

I'm saying a PRAYER as we speak.
I will be out at the Iowa game this weekend, but my wife wants to try and find me on the TV screen, might be easier if it were in HD, but I'm not picky at this point, just give US the BTN!

I agree. They can't make the SD conversion to mpeg4 until the come up with a plan to swap out all the mpeg2 receivers. I still think they will duplicate all the SD in mpeg4 after the new sat launches. There's a ton of old boxes out there.

I don't see why they can't push 622's to standard def dvr folks, there are still many advantages to this box over the 942 (or whatever the hell that model number was).

The same should go for the non-DVR HD boxes.

If they add a couple of fringe channels in MPEG4 SD some people that absolutely have to have those channels will switch to new receivers (and some will go to DirectTV I guess) which would make the swap a bit easier when they have to do everybody.

I don't see why they can't push 622's to standard def dvr folks, there are still many advantages to this box over the 942 (or whatever the hell that model number was).

The same should go for the non-DVR HD boxes.

If they add a couple of fringe channels in MPEG4 SD some people that absolutely have to have those channels will switch to new receivers (and some will go to DirectTV I guess) which would make the swap a bit easier when they have to do everybody.
I think it would be nice to build a m-peg 4 SD receiver FIRST then switch SD channels to MPEG-4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)