SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 09/15/2007

FYI....Blu-Ray players can be found for less than $500 bucks now. A bird told me that a PS3 with a 40Gig HD will be $399 within the next 2 weeks.

I plan on buying HD-PPV's to supplement movies that are on HD-DVD and not available on Blu-Ray.

There are plenty of people out there who had not seen the value of paying $15/ea for a DVD movie for collection, and will continue to think so when it comes to paying $30/ea for an HD movie collection. I happen to think the on-going cost is more significant than buying a player.

Now if you can store PPV movies in large scale, whether HD or SD, for later viewing, there is no denying it will make buying a DVD player and DVD movies less appealing, HD or SD.

The only question of course is what kind of HD movie selection will we get in the future. If the selection can get as good as the SD PPVs, we who do not believe in buying DVDs for collection will be in great shape.

I think getting the best HDPPV movies choice up should be one of E*'s top priorities because now with the external archiving it is the best way to keep the best paying subs for life.

I am going to wait and see if their movie selection will get better before investing in an external hard drive.
There are plenty of other HD movies on Dish Network.

HD-Movies is 24/7 movies in true HD. They just showed "Silence of the Lambs" - a better film (IMHO) than anything that has come out in the past year. Lots of other films that you have previously only seen in fuzzy SD or VHS - for example, "Psycho" "The Birds" "Chinatown" - are on the various HD movie channels in the Dish-HD package.

Plus, on HBO/Cinemax, you can find the Star Wars films in HD, which are not on any HD disk.

Anyone see Swann's blog for today? Apparently the Echostar Marketing Machine is in full swing, claiming 70 HD channels. They're including HD PPV channels and RSN's in the mix.

Anyone see Swann's blog for today? Apparently the Echostar Marketing Machine is in full swing, claiming 70 HD channels. They're including HD PPV channels and RSN's in the mix.

Yeah...I'm not buying that one...

It actually concerns me that they are already going to that tactic. Does that mean our influx of new channels is done and thats their final 'claim'???

Does that mean our influx of new channels is done and thats their final 'claim'???

You know, I wouldn't be suprised if that was part of their motivation to put the recent HD PPV channels up. Regardless I don't think we have much to worry about, if D* gets an HD channel that a significant number of people on E* want (ex. BTN) then E* will try to add it too.

E* has also been good about taking down PPV channels to make room for other things when needed. If push came to shove I could definitely see E* killing a couple of HD PPV channels to make room for new national HD channels.

Thanks guys, I don't know why I am excited. I will never have local HD on dish here in Indianapolis anyway. Boo hoo for me :(

never say never. There's lots of channels people never thought they would see that have shown up. (Yes doesn't count, it'll never be on :) )

You never know but since its not that does not mean that Dish does not want it. :)

I take that claim of 70 HD channels with a few grains of salt. The HD RSNs aren't full-time, they're only active when an in-market game is on, so I consider them more of a "time-shared" type of HD channel.

I agree too, that HD PPV movie channels don't really count either.

It's great to hear that they have flipped the switch for the HD Big Ten channels.
Unfortunately, I can't get a signal (transponder 6, sat 129). Maybe they're not actually sending a signal yet. But I would think they would at least sent the HD Logo for now.

It's great to hear that they have flipped the switch for the HD Big Ten channels.
Unfortunately, I can't get a signal (transponder 6, sat 129). Maybe they're not actually sending a signal yet. But I would think they would at least sent the HD Logo for now.

The signal has been there for quite some time now as the PPV-HD's are on there too. Sounds like you are having equipment problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts