SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 12/15/2007

Charlie is a hard ass and why we're always lacking on certain channels.
Go back in time just (3) months ago and how would that statement sound ?
We still dont have the YES network period. In addition no MSG HD or FSNNY HD. The excuse always was the those would not allow satellite providers to carry their feeds. Now that D has both, the excuse is gone.
I'm not sure about MSG or FSN NY but talk to YES about why they aren't carried. They want *me* to pay for YES or people in Florida or Kansas and so on. Very few people outside of the NY area have even heard of this channel.

Again... USA-HD and SciFi-HD are taking up very valuable bandwidth on 110, so there is very little chance that these won't be made available some time in the next week or two.

The MPEG4-HD channels MT__ are very interesting.... some months back I pointed out that there was clear room on 129 tr 11 for 3 more HD channels... I think Digiblur's assessment is correct, they have meaningless names so that people don't know what channels are coming soon.

All the more reason to think that USA-HD and SciFi-HD are coming soon, because they are not hidden.

119 - BIOGR renamed to BIO (A)

That's an interesting one. Perhaps so that they can have "BIO" and "BIO-HD" ??

Concerning 61.5 - when does the SkyAngel contract expire? Dec. 31st ? Maybe that's why the phone rep said more HD channels after the beginning of January...

PS Senato - if you are trying to get people to scroll away from your message quickly without reading it, you are doing a really good job.

I am sure Charlie is in heated negotiations right now for new HD programming ;)

Probably the most important thing eating at E* right now is the $$$. Will it cost more in programming fees for each new HD channel per subscriber (= lost profit) than it will the loss in revenue from subscribers leaving? I would bet that some of these channels are pretty expensive and would take quite a few subscribers leaving to make it even.

Thanks! So the 8PSK takes less band with, so theoretically, with 8PSK & MPEG 4, you could open a lot of "doors"?

Rob

Other way around... 8PSK allows more bandwidth in the same space. In Dish's numbers they gain about 25%. 8PSK is already here. All of the subscribers receive their HD via 8PSK today.

Go back in time just (3) months ago and how would that statement sound ?
I'm not sure about MSG or FSN NY but talk to YES about why they aren't carried. They want *me* to pay for YES or people in Florida or Kansas and so on. Very few people outside of the NY area have even heard of this channel.

I dont want to pay for voom channels that very few people watch. We all pay an extra 10 bucks a month. I"d bet you more people would watch YES on any given night than all the voom channels combined.

I like VOOM due to has some good shows on there and things you can see in HD that you would not see any where else.

With all that room on 61.5 I sure wish they would turn on CSNNE HD. This has been unlinked for well over a year.

Probably the most important thing eating at E* right now is the $$$. Will it cost more in programming fees for each new HD channel per subscriber (= lost profit) than it will the loss in revenue from subscribers leaving? I would bet that some of these channels are pretty expensive and would take quite a few subscribers leaving to make it even.

Don't know, but maybe adding the HD versions of channels they already have (like SciFi and USA) isn't that much more expensive. But who knows (besides the folks making the deals).

But I would think losing subscribers and seeing new subs decreasing (as E* saw last quarter) is a VERY bad thing, not just because they're losing money. It means decreases in market share, and market share rules the world nowadays. That's why big companies are buying small companies -- to increase customer bases and increase market share. And I would imagine it'll be much harder for Charlie to sell Dish Network to ATT or some other suitor if they keep losing market share to D*. So, my guess is that, even if they have to pay pretty expensive programming fees for some of these new HD channels, they'll probably want to do it in an effort to keep from losing market share to D*.

With all that room on 61.5 I sure wish they would turn on CSNNE HD. This has been unlinked for well over a year.

They haven't added anything to 61.5 yet. Nor are they firing up spotbeams just yet. They've got to get some nationals out the way first.

I think they're just messing with us. Plug some things in, wait a little bit for the uplink report to hit, view this thread, enjoy the speculation and guesses for a good laugh.

Hi guys! :)

I agree. Plus, Charlie wants to be keep his bargaining power. D* is making some sweetheart deals with the programmers. E* will have to spend more money per subscriber in the future to decrease their churn rate. I think there is additional cost adding HD versions of programming channels, but I also believe that programmers like Discovery offer incentives when you carry their suite.

Actually it's been stated before that the deal they make includes both the SD & HD versions of the channel.. so it's quite odd that it takes them so long to put something live.. they may make it available to gauge if the response is favorable enough to make live.. shrug..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)