SatHawk PVR800 vs Pansat 9200HD ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Stone,
Are you sure it sends AC3 audio through HDMI or it converts the AC3 audio to Linear PCM? Mine converts AC3 audio ( which may may include Dolby .51 Sound) to Stereo LPCM. The HDMI has never been able to play 5.1 Dolby for me. But when i hook up the Optical cable, i get the 5.1 sound.
About the other issues, it might be my receiver being a lemon.

All I was referring to was the fact that some people could not hear any sound with the HDMI hooked up. Only video. The sound problem was traced to a bad connection on the main board. As far as the transport of AC3 sound goes for any HDMI device, I found the following general info on dolby digital in wikipedia.

Generally, a Dolby Digital bitstream can only be transported over an HDMI 1.3 or greater link. Older receivers support earlier versions of HDMI, or only have support for the S/PDIF system for digital audio, or analog inputs.
So that tells me that unless the HDMI is HDMI 1.3, No device can carry the dolby digital standard. From what I saw in my 9200 manual, The receiver is HDMI, not HDMI 1.3. That being the case, it simply is not designed for what you want it to do through the HDMI cable. I guess one can compare it to USB and USB 2.0. A USB connection is not designed for the fast bit rate transmission that USB 2.0 is.
Sorry for misunderstanding your statement on the audio. That said however, I would not call the sound issue with the HDMI cable you have a bug, or a problem. It simply was not designed that way. Have a great day! :)

Last edited:
sanjap

What problems do you have with the Pansat's PVR? If it doesn't play anything recorded, the STB needs to be fixed, this is not a brand issue. What are you missing now and expect from PVR function in your next receiver? If you explain that, the guys who own the Sathawk will tell you if its better or worse at the moment.

If your TV has only 2 speakers, how do you expect it to play Dolby 5.1 stream? Its only possible, if it has a decoder chipset or the STB outputs PCM sound. If you connect HDMI cable to an Audio Receiver, some of them like some Onkyo models do not pass audio via HDMI at all. Attaching an optical cable should not be a problem that can affect STB value - does it matter for you what cable the sound is coming from, if you still use the same Audio Receiver? ;) I never look at the back of mine..., and it has plenty of various inputs anyway.

Last edited:
As far as the transport of AC3 sound goes for any HDMI device, I found the following general info on dolby digital in wikipedia.

Generally, a Dolby Digital bitstream can only be transported over an HDMI 1.3 or greater link. Older receivers support earlier versions of HDMI, or only have support for the S/PDIF system for digital audio, or analog inputs.

This is a false statement. Multi track Dolby Digital 5.1 or even 7.1 can be sent via HDMI (it does not have to be 1.3) and even S/PDIF. Bitstream Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio it is another story or 20 bucks if you will since for these it requires higher bandwith that only HDMI 1.3 can accomodate.

Just in case , I rechequed twice the Wikipedia info on Dolby Digital and did 2 searches and could not find your quote on wikipedia. Maybe they updated their info to the correct true statement, who knows.

For Sat TV audio , DD 5.1 is more than enough, Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA are even optional on Blu Ray. HDMI 1.3 also adds Deep Color (not being used by the TV industry yet) therefore HDMI less than 1.3 is more than enough for a SAT receiver unless it is a Blu-Ray combo?

This is a false statement. Multi track Dolby Digital 5.1 or even 7.1 can be sent via HDMI (it does not have to be 1.3) and even S/PDIF. Bitstream Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio it is another story or 20 bucks if you will since for these it requires higher bandwith that only HDMI 1.3 can accomodate.

Just in case , I rechequed twice the Wikipedia info on Dolby Digital and did 2 searches and could not find your quote on wikipedia. Maybe they updated their info to the correct true statement, who knows.

For Sat TV audio , DD 5.1 is more than enough, Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA are even optional on Blu Ray. HDMI 1.3 also adds Deep Color (not being used by the TV industry yet) therefore HDMI less than 1.3 is more than enough for a SAT receiver unless it is a Blu-Ray combo?

HD Fan,

This is correct info. Lak, the issue is, i am very keen to 5.1 sound and my sorround sound system cannot take any other audio input once the input is HDMI. I am fine if i know i am not the only one. Then i will know it is an issue with Pansat 9200HD. First we have to accept it is an issue. My Direct TV box sends 5.1 dolby through HDMI and it is not v1.3

V1.3 is more to support the high end blu-ray specifications as HD fan mentioned.

Thanks for your bright insights on this.

sanjap

What problems do you have with the Pansat's PVR? If it doesn't play anything recorded, the STB needs to be fixed, this is not a brand issue. What are you missing now and expect from PVR function in your next receiver? If you explain that, the guys who own the Sathawk will tell you if its better or worse at the moment.

It records ok, but when i select the video for play back, the box freezes. This happens to HD recorded content.

If your TV has only 2 speakers, how do you expect it to play Dolby 5.1 stream? Its only possible, if it has a decoder chipset or the STB outputs PCM sound. If you connect HDMI cable to an Audio Receiver, some of them like some Onkyo models do not pass audio via HDMI at all. Attaching an optical cable should not be a problem that can affect STB value - does it matter for you what cable the sound is coming from, if you still use the same Audio Receiver? ;) I never look at the back of mine..., and it has plenty of various inputs anyway.

I do have a 7.1 Audio Receiver and i do have a home theatre system that won't let you choose audio from optical if input is through HDMI. I can't connect video through component either.

Why don't you connect HDMI cable directly to your TV, and optical cable to the Audio Receiver? Many people do this despite having several HDMI inputs in their Audio Receiver.

Did you try to play the recorded content on a PC to make sure it plays OK?

I probably read the wrong info. But just for the record this is where I read that about HDMI 1.3...
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital_Plus

I read it down in the "Media Players and Down Mixing". First statement. I thought that dolby digital was just that. And Dolby 5.1 was the "Plus" in dolby. My bad. Well I tried to look up the info anyway. Thanks for the correction. Sorry for any confusion. Have a great day!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)