Satwork 3688 Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
Recently I purchased a Satwork 3688 and seem to have it down pretty good except for one thing, blind scan. I have it slaved through a Motorola 922. Can anyone tell me how to blind scan the horizontal and vertical seperate? It tells me it is scanning both, but when I am done all I have is horizontal FRs. Also about half way through the scan it will start over with the same begining FR that it started with.

This was a common problem with the 3618, but when you set it up for a blind scan, I set the 922 on a H or V TP and the 3618 would ask me what I wanted, H or V. All I had to do was match the 3618 to the 922 and I was in business.

The question is: is there a place on the 3688 that asks what polarity you want to scan? If there is, I am missing it.

Anybody that has any blind scanning tips for this reciever, pleeeeeeeese share them with me. I am getting desparate.

Update as of 11:40pm EDT

OK, I have been messing around with this blind scan for about an hour and this is what I came up with. It will scan X amount of signals on the H side, when it is done with H it will start the V side. It will then scan the same FRs and SRs on V as it did on H. Then when it goes to post the channels all of the H channels it found will be listed, then when it starts the V channels, which I said are the same FRs and SRs as H, it tells me "already searched" for all of the Verticals. So when the smoke clears the only channels that are stored are Horizontals. At first I didn't realize this, then I started scanning satellites that I KNOW have vertical channels, all I get is horizontals.

Last edited:

voomvoom

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
May 18, 2004
Lizella, Georgia Republic
Hi Jim, don't know if you are still up or not? But, you do realize the 922 is controlling the polarity (I assume), so you have to change it with the 922 when it's through with the H (or V). I don't have a Satworks, so I don't know how it scans. But the Pansat scans the H 1st and then the V, then it decodes and writes the channels it scaned, with the H 1st and then the V. In other words, I have to put my 920 on an H channel and then a V channel, and then an H channel and then a V channel, and all during one scan. I have to keep my eye on it, I can see when the Pansat switches polarity, so I have to switch the polarity on the 920 or I would wind up with duplicates on both H and V for the same channels like you mentioned. The Coolsat is a little different, it scans and decodes and writes the channels all at once. And it starts with the V side and then does the H side. But I still have to watch the 920 and change the polarity when the Coolsat changes polarity, to keep from getting duplicate channels. I think the Coolsat might do the polarities individually, but I've never done it that way, so maybe not?
I hope you understand what I'm saying, cause I'm not sure I do? But, I get it to work.

Al

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
I got cha. A couple of other people have told me the same thing. That's what was so simple about the 3618, match it to the 922 and you were in business. I think part of the problem was that I am using a different satellite label to do scans and the polarity on it sometimes does not match the satellite being scanned. I found this out with the 922. I have K9 in the AMC 2 position. I couldn't get anything on AMC 2, scanning or manual, then I noticed on LynSat that even TPs are horizontial and on the K9 icon the odd TPs are horizontal. I was never on the right polarity. So I quit looking at the TP number and now just go to the polarity I want. I came across this last night when I found a channel I wanted to keep. The scanned satellite said it was a vertical, when I installed it on the correct satellite it showed as a horizontal, which it is. So........I think I was getting both H and V scanned, just the satellite label I used was not showing the true polarity.

I think I am on it now, thanks for your input.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)