Saw My First 4ktv Today

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
Went to my local Best Buy today and they had the new Sony 4ktv on display. The tv was running the Sony server that had preloaded 4k content.
Not sure if it was native or remastered. It was the 55" model.
I stood 2ft. from this tv and it was stunning. No visible pixels whatsoever. It really did look like I was looking through a window.
Content showing was some soccer, ocean views, fruits and jungle views.
A few things before I buy one. (Yes I will buy one) price will deffinitly need to drop. As many have seen this has already happening. With the announcement of hdmi 2.0 I expect a quicker drop given that manufacturers know what is implemented with these tvs now to use 4k. The other thing I'm interested in is how these tvs will upscale broadcast tv. I know ESPN is working on 4ktv studio and Directv may have channels (pay per view likely). I wonder if pay tv will show more artifacts?
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.
I have said in the past 4k projector would be great. I do believe they will need more work on the zoom lens or maybe a short throw projector before I bite.

Never seen one yet... I have a Sony 240hz LED and the picture is awesome so am having a hard time believing how much *better* a 4K is.
I agree with you 110% price is a factor.
I waited, and waited....and waired for the prices to drop on a quality LEDs that the following month of owning one 4Ks were introduced (go figure).
By the time these drop to under 2k, we'd be at something else.

Cheers, K

I'll either be waiting on 4K until Dish or Directv start carrying 4K channels or one of my 1080p LEDs stop functioning. This technology isn't worth the upgrade price to me just for movie rentals that will only be available from streaming services.

I'm not holding my breath on Dish and Directv adding 4K either. It sounds like both providers are short on bandwidth with our current HD channels. Even if channels start broadcasting in 4K I don't expect the satellite providers to jump in right away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As Don said. You will believe when you see one. I was pretty skeptical before I saw today. Not knowing what to expect.

Too me the picture was like looking at HD in a way I had never seen before.

DEF wait until they come with HDMI 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Sony and Samsung are going to have an upgrade path for their sets once 2.0 is available. Samsung through the One Connect Kit and Sony with a board swap from what I've heard. Haven't heard anything from LG. 2.0 is only needed for 60fps material. Film based material is only 24fps, with the exception of the Hobbit at 48fps. The material on the Sony server is native UHD. Too bad it only works on Sony TVs.

S~

As Don said. You will believe when you see one. I was pretty skeptical before I saw today. Not knowing what to expect.

Too me the picture was like looking at HD in a way I had never seen before.

I believe that it looks amazing when you are watching 4K content. However, if the content I actually watch isn't available in 4K I don't see the point. I won't buy something that expensive just to watch the demo reel stuff I would never watch if it wasn't 4K. Once cable and satellite providers start offering it or even when it becomes as common as 1080p bluray is now I'm in. I'm either waiting for one of my current 1080p sets to die or real 4K content. Whichever comes first. So far I haven't seen any indication that the TV providers are even considering a 4K rollout so it could be a long time for me.

Sony and Samsung are going to have an upgrade path for their sets once 2.0 is available. Samsung through the One Connect Kit and Sony with a board swap from what I've heard. Haven't heard anything from LG. 2.0 is only needed for 60fps material. Film based material is only 24fps, with the exception of the Hobbit at 48fps. The material on the Sony server is native UHD. Too bad it only works on Sony TVs.

S~

The check is in the mail.

I'm from Washington, I'm here to help you.

I promise I won't ..........

Demo upconverts I saw looked amazing...

I haven't seen it for myself so I don't have any evidence to back what I'm saying up but... I can't imagine a 4K TV being worth it to watch upconverted 720p/1080i/1080p source material. They can't add detail that isn't in the source so it doesn't seem like 1080p content could possibly look that much better on a 4K display than it does on a high end 1080p display.

Again I am saying this without seeing it for myself but it seems like it would be similar to watching 480i SD content on a 1080p TV. It may be upconverted to display on your 1080p set but it sure doesn't look like the content that came from a 1080p source.

The check is in the mail.

I'm from Washington, I'm here to help you.

I promise I won't ..........

Samsung has already announced it, just like they came out with the Evolution kit this year to upgrade 2012 models with the 2013 features. Samsung wants to be number 1 in this area. They are serious and putting the pressure on the other manufacturers. I do believe the upgrade coupon is included in the box. At least, that's what the original press release said some months back.

Another problem is that standards for broadcasting 4K content haven’t been finalized, so it’s important that TVs sold now can be upgraded. Samsung said its TVs can be upgraded and, once standards have been agreed on, the company will make available an “UHD evolution kit” in the form of a new external connection box.

http://www.techhive.com/article/204...llite-broadcasts-promises-to-upgrade-tvs.html

S~

Last edited:
Remember BD's are compressed, but not near what broadcast is...

Right but it's still gonna be a compressed 1080p source playing on a 4K TV. I don't think they can add detail that isn't there when upconverting to 4K any more than they can when you play 480i content on a 1080p display.

I don't doubt that the 4K content looks great. I just think that buying a 4K display for upconverted 720p/1080i/1080p content is kind of like buying a 1080p TV for SD cable.

Samsung has already announced it, just like they came out with the Evolution kit this year to upgrade 2012 models with the 2013 features. Samsung wants to be number 1 in this area. They are serious and putting the pressure on the other manufacturers. I do believe the upgrade coupon is included in the box. At least, that's what the original press release said some months back.
S~

It may happen, but my experience over countless iterations of early adopter issues is that the kit, although announced, will never actually be available, or if it is, will be priced so high that it is better to simply purchase a newer model.

The only incentive Samsung has in announcing the kit is to get early adopters to commit. Once that has happened, there is no incentive for a follow-up. I can believe the software, since that is relatively cheap and easy to distribute, but any hardware mod or add-on has the added issues of a distribution channel.

It will happen. As I said, they announced it at the initial press release and the upgrade coupon was supposed to be in the box. They were very clear about being the only manufacturer with an upgrade which forced Sony to informally announce their path.

S~