SBS Korea Takedown October 1, 2005

$35 for 1 channel?

Technically, we're paying $35 for 2 channels: KBS and MBN. By the way, how many people in America care about business news in Korea? For 24 hrs a day! That's the most worthless channel.

I called Dish twice and basically yelled at the customer service reps because they didn't understand the concept of "you pay less if you get less". We were paying $35 for 3 channels and now you give us 2. 3 - 1 = 2!

Actually, I called to ask when, if ever, they are going to replace SBS with something else. But of course, you get idiots on the phone. She wanted to get rid of me so she threw me a bone - $10 credit.

By the way, I've done some research but can't seem to find a satellite provider that will give you KBS, SBS and MBC. My mom (and you'll know what I'm talking about if you have Korean parents) says that "all" her friends get "all" the Korean channels. No names, phone #'s, or if this company is on earth.

They keep telling her they got it through some "Korean-guy". Is this something illegal or what?

Thanks.

Hot off the rumor mill. My sources say that there are about 7 to 8 new K. channels coming! I hope they come soon so that we can keep the customers from going somewhere else.

The big news is that if they can't finally get SBS back, then they'll likely get MBC, which is another primary channel. So take it with a grain of salt as this process we're talking about will take about a month to finalize. We're pushing on every front known possible to have this finalize ASAP but we can't get a confirmation.

Again, this is a rumor albeit a reliable one. I won't believe it 'til I see it but it looks like E* will try to have at least 2 primary networks, with KBS being one and SBS or MBC the other, and a bunch of other channels. Who knows how much it'll be and when. When I have more details, I'll let you guys know. I hope some of you guys haven't jumped ship to D*. I've got no leads on what they'll add as we also sell D*.

dogeater said:
Technically, we're paying $35 for 2 channels: KBS and MBN. By the way, how many people in America care about business news in Korea? For 24 hrs a day! That's the most worthless channel.

I called Dish twice and basically yelled at the customer service reps because they didn't understand the concept of "you pay less if you get less". We were paying $35 for 3 channels and now you give us 2. 3 - 1 = 2!

Actually, I called to ask when, if ever, they are going to replace SBS with something else. But of course, you get idiots on the phone. She wanted to get rid of me so she threw me a bone - $10 credit.

By the way, I've done some research but can't seem to find a satellite provider that will give you KBS, SBS and MBC. My mom (and you'll know what I'm talking about if you have Korean parents) says that "all" her friends get "all" the Korean channels. No names, phone #'s, or if this company is on earth.

They keep telling her they got it through some "Korean-guy". Is this something illegal or what?

Thanks.

After a good benchmarking of E*'s competition, TAN TV offers KBS, SBS, MBC, and maybe a couple others. Now, the KBS on TAN TV is only half-day's worth at most so if you want KBS more than others, stick with E* as they're rumored to come out with SBS or MBC. KISB has MBC, SBS, and others for similar cost as TAN TV. Here are the web sites: www.tantv.com and www.kisbtv.com . I did my homework. I'll warn you though that since these companies want a year's worth of programming up front, if you cancel to come back to E*, they most likely won't return it back to you. Plus, the equipment is FTA so you won't get your installation or your equipment fee back. Know that first. ;)

WOW MBC coming?! I hope E* will do a pack with that and Arirang since I don't care about the two other channels unless they do live music shows with NO lip synching like "Music Camp".
Also if Dish would have "Music Camp" aired in HD like NBA HD I think I'd be in Heaven.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Hot off the rumor mill. My sources say that there are about 7 to 8 new K. channels coming! I hope they come soon so that we can keep the customers from going somewhere else.

The big news is that if they can't finally get SBS back, then they'll likely get MBC, which is another primary channel. So take it with a grain of salt as this process we're talking about will take about a month to finalize. We're pushing on every front known possible to have this finalize ASAP but we can't get a confirmation.

Again, this is a rumor albeit a reliable one. I won't believe it 'til I see it but it looks like E* will try to have at least 2 primary networks, with KBS being one and SBS or MBC the other, and a bunch of other channels. Who knows how much it'll be and when. When I have more details, I'll let you guys know. I hope some of you guys haven't jumped ship to D*. I've got no leads on what they'll add as we also sell D*.

This is a great news. Now we are talking. Now i don't have to sell my 3 receivers. When you say 7 to 8 K channels, what are you referring to? FTA/E*/D*?

It certainly is great news but I have no idea when they'll be uplinked and be available to customers. The tentative list of the 7 channels will be:

Religious programming (Catholic/Christian could be Jesus Satellite TV that's uplinked now/Buddhist)
Music programming
Movie programming
Video Game programming
YTN News
Business News (could be WOW TV that's uplinked now)

And SBS or MBC as another primary channel in addition to KBS, which by the way was the channel that aired a soccer match between Korea and Iran. I don't think the other primary networks aired that match. :D

Even when Dish had SBS, the feed was a MONTH old. I found this out when my Korean inlaws arrived for a visit. They were watching a soap opera and commenting that they had already seen it (along with everything else) the month prior.

One thing I know for sure that is current is "News" Heck, they talk about stuff what's happening over here in the US before I get it from news here.

More breaking news. :D

Current Korean Basic and Korean Variety Pack customers should see a $10 credit issued on their next bill. This just came in through my sources. I'm not sure if the credit will continue after that or if new subs will see a reduced cost of these packages. Only thing I can confirm is the $10 credit for existing subs. More to follow as I hear it.

It certainly is great news but I have no idea when they'll be uplinked and be available to customers. The tentative list of the 7 channels will be:

Religious programming (Catholic/Christian could be Jesus Satellite TV that's uplinked now/Buddhist)
Music programming
Movie programming
Video Game programming
YTN News

And SBS or MBC as another primary channel in addition to KBS, which by the way was the channel that aired a soccer match between Korea and Iran. I don't think the other primary networks aired that match. :D

OMG! Music programming?! Oh yeah! Hopefully it's not MTV of Korea and a big name KOREAN music channel. Give me Tasha, old BoA concerts, Cho PD concerts, So Chan Whee stuff, etc.
Why do they bother with business news? What do you mean about video game programming? And will the movie programming be commercial free? wishes the Korean movie channels would have a second audio channel for English. I know I'm wishing there.
Also Summit any word on a package with MBC, the music programming and Arirang? Granted I wouldn't mind KBS either.

KBS America is now on regular programming

I called my local reseller and found out that the KBS America is already on channel 9850! It's exactly the same channel as 704. So out of 3 so called "premium" channels, 1 is gone (SBS/702), 1 became "free" on channel 9850 (KBS/704) - so the only premium is MBN (703) which is no-value to many.

As soon as I found out about 9850 and was verified by my wife at home, I quickly called in and canceled the KVP. The rep had the nerve to inform me that I would be charged $5 for programming change/admin fee. I replied - "absolutely not :mad: " - she was very quick in removing the charge :) .

I was so ready to add VOOM HDs to Dish programming but this SBS fiasco left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I intend to give them 30 days to come up with something "big". I don't think "MBC" is as fun/good as SBS. So MBC+7 silly channels will not keep me - unless they would offer it for $10-$15 - or throw in free VOOM with it. I was so ready to throw more money to Dish. Whoever is in charge of Customer relations and International programming should be FIRED!

I also talked to both TanTV and KISB today. Neither one has DVR setup box. I know KISB used to use Humax for their setup box few years ago and Humax is now big with DirecTV DVR. So why couldn't they simply offer a DVR so my wife can record all Korean programming and be happy with? Go figure - and the answers from tanTV and KISB were "we don't care". Gee - shouldn't they be taking this business opportunity and sign up all those unhappy Dish customers ?!?!?! Who is the running the show at those two companies?

Sorry to sound very negative - but it's great to come and read/share our frustrations/options here. I am very happy that this board exists. :)

bomool said:
I called my local reseller and found out that the KBS America is already on channel 9850! It's exactly the same channel as 704. So out of 3 so called "premium" channels, 1 is gone (SBS/702), 1 became "free" on channel 9850 (KBS/704) - so the only premium is MBN (703) which is no-value to many.

As soon as I found out about 9850 and was verified by my wife at home, I quickly called in and canceled the KVP. The rep had the nerve to inform me that I would be charged $5 for programming change/admin fee. I replied - "absolutely not :mad: " - she was very quick in removing the charge :) .

I was so ready to add VOOM HDs to Dish programming but this SBS fiasco left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I intend to give them 30 days to come up with something "big". I don't think "MBC" is as fun/good as SBS. So MBC+7 silly channels will not keep me - unless they would offer it for $10-$15 - or throw in free VOOM with it. I was so ready to throw more money to Dish. Whoever is in charge of Customer relations and International programming should be FIRED!

I also talked to both TanTV and KISB today. Neither one has DVR setup box. I know KISB used to use Humax for their setup box few years ago and Humax is now big with DirecTV DVR. So why couldn't they simply offer a DVR so my wife can record all Korean programming and be happy with? Go figure - and the answers from tanTV and KISB were "we don't care". Gee - shouldn't they be taking this business opportunity and sign up all those unhappy Dish customers ?!?!?! Who is the running the show at those two companies?

Sorry to sound very negative - but it's great to come and read/share our frustrations/options here. I am very happy that this board exists. :)

Go with D* then. They have SBS AND TiVo DVR. If 7 channels plus 2 primary channels don't satisfy you, I don't know what would. Or better yet, get those Korean only scrambled FTA providers and purchase a DVD or DVR. You won't get HD+DVR+In'l programming better than E* or D*.

Well, we're still in the process of asking them to be more specific. But in all honesty, even if they tell us the exact channels, unless if they're uplinked we can't assume that they'll pull through to the E* subs. So when they're uplinked, we can clearly tell what channels will come and that the likelihood will be good. But if we do find out, I'll post again with an update. This gets more interesting day by day.

Go with D* then. They have SBS AND TiVo DVR. If 7 channels plus 2 primary channels don't satisfy you, I don't know what would. Or better yet, get those Korean only scrambled FTA providers and purchase a DVD or DVR. You won't get HD+DVR+In'l programming better than E* or D*.
I hear you. Having FTA and separate DVR (I have ReplayTV just sitting) would not be an option as it adds more complexity to a technically challenged wife :D . So as I said, I will wait and see what Dish will do in the next 30 days. If nothing big happens, then I will become a D* customer. :rolleyes:

Here's a recap of what's happened so far:

1. $10 credit for those with Korean Basic Pack or Korean Variety Pack to be issued starting around next Monday or so on the customer's next bill. This is automatic and will not require a call to CSR's. So don't cancel those packages just yet! Get your credit first.

2. KBS is available for FREE for new and existing subs if you have a SuperDISH 121. If you don't, there's a $50 upgrade program that allows you to get the SuperDISH 121 upgrade to get KBS for free. Only catch or requirement is that you have to keep AT 60 or higher for 1 year from the date of the upgrade. I've never heard of this precedent of only requiring AT 60 for SD upgrade so I'm still not sure how and why E* is doing this but then again SBS was a big loss.

3. It looks like SBS has very, very slim chance of coming back. I'm hearing diff. sides as one side says SBS got out of a contract with E* on some loophole. Not sure but it sounds very sketchy or a lame excuse.

4. Since SBS will not come back without a miracle, they're pushing for MBC to fill in the void. Hence, you'll see that new subs will still pay around $29.99 and up for 2 channels when it used to have 3.

5. Regardless of MBC or SBS coming back, E* will release 7 new channels in the Korean language that contains the following content:

Music programming
Movie programming
Video Game programming
YTN News

Only #1 and #2 has been released by E* and should be disseminated to all retailers in the Retailer Chat. The #3 ~ #5 should play out in a month or two to get the final details wrinkled out, channels uplinked and tested, and finally released to the subs. The best thing you can do as a customer is to keep calling in to E* and ask/demand that they bring in additional programming to fill the gap left behind by SBS. I'm not sure if the E* executives pick up on that chatter but it's worth a shot to bring you programming you want quicker.

Bomool how can you speak against "Music Camp"?! It's bloody "Music Camp"! The only long running live music show where Gasoo's had to actually SING instead of lipsync on it.
Summit what about people like me who can't have something like the SuperDISH 121 because I get the impression it's enormity would force the Dish to be on the roof plus I've convinced my pops to get the 1000 because it's cheaper. Any chance of me being able to pick up KBS on 121 through an 18"er pointing there?

Sarang said:
Bomool how can you speak against "Music Camp"?! It's bloody "Music Camp"! The only long running live music show where Gasoo's had to actually SING instead of lipsync on it.
Summit what about people like me who can't have something like the SuperDISH 121 because I get the impression it's enormity would force the Dish to be on the roof plus I've convinced my pops to get the 1000 because it's cheaper. Any chance of me being able to pick up KBS on 121 through an 18"er pointing there?
Sarang - I have nothing against Music Camp. I just don't listen/follow Gasoo's anymore except when they appear in shows such as X-man. So when I mention 2+7 doesn't excite me is because of personal preference. I guess I am an old man who hasn't seen MTV or VH1 for at least 10+ years. Oh boy, I feel old. :(

Bo you shouldn't insult Gasoo's by equating them to that GARBAGE. They should be thought of in higher regards than spoiled American BRAT Pop stars. In other words they're talented and do good music but woefully underpaid. The record company should give them a better cut of the money than they get. I think American stars should also get paid more and the record companies here less but I prefer Gasoo's more. You don't have a Korean 50 Cents(thank GOD).
What about Lee Hyeon Do, Baek Ji Young, Tasha, Tiger JK, Drunken Tiger, Micki Eyes, So Chan Whee, Park Mi Kyung or Kim Gun Mo? Granted I've heard Lee Hyeon Do is trying to sound American to which I ask why do you want to sound like crap. I mean mainstream "Hip-Hop" over here.
Can you also explain what's so bad to me about KBS? One of the drama's seemed typical of SBS or what I would expect out of them. I was watching a fansubbed version of "Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang" though it seemed to drag. They should've made the show tighter by not having as many episodes but at least they don't beat a dead horse like Americans do, of course this wasn't a sitcom either and I don't know their experience compared to the British.

<<5. Regardless of MBC or SBS coming back, E* will release 7 new channels in the Korean language that contains the following content:

Music programming
Movie programming
Video Game programming
YTN News
Business News (could be WOW TV that's uplinked now)>>

Any idea which of programming will be integrated as KVP or if there will be an additional cost. I am thinking Video game/Movie might cost more, but others no cost?
also will these program will beam down at 61.5 ^? Thanks for the information thus far.

I had been contemplating going back to cable for several reasons:

o Lack of locals HD -- and no, I cannot get HD OTA due to location.
o Subscribe to HD Pack and Voom, but I would rather watch programming on locals (as major sporting events are broadcasted there).
o Constant equipment problems

And this latest incidence with taking away a channel and not providing credit is the last straw! Ok, so they're supposed to provide $10 credit next week, but the CSR I spoke with yesterday said sorry sucka. When I told him I paid $36.99 for the Korean pack, he said no but I pay $29. Afterwards, I checked my bill online and it definitely says I paid $36.99. So, add courteous, informed customer service to the list above - NOT!

The rumour of more Korean channels is promising, but who knows when that is coming or if ever?? My mother-in-law (who we get the Korean pack for) says she preferred the Korean programming available from Cox Cable in Fairfax, VA anyway. In addition, I can lease a HD DVR from cable without having to pay $$$ for the privilege.

I switched to Dish because of the high cost of cable, but it appears the price between the two are now similar. I stuck with Dish as I thought there were more Korean programming for my mother-in-law there. Now there's less and I can get my locals in HiDef through cable. I didn't really find any compelling programming in the HD Pack or Voom. Sorry for my ranting and thanks for listening.