SBS Korea Takedown October 1, 2005

pearl15_1999 said:
This has to be a joke, right? We watch Korean TV for the dramas. 90% of the Korean - Americans want dramas so what does *E do, satisfy the 10% that want news, finance and religion - give me a break! Where are the ENTERTAINMENT channels??????????

Tell *E to do something for the other 90% of their Korean subscribers. Also, take that JSTV off the air, I don't like people preaching to me on TV. I already have 3-4 religious channels that I don't watch, I don't need another one. Keep it on the air for the other people that want it - FREE!

Can't they get any entertainment channels besides KBS and Airang? I like these two but not for $36.99 a month.

Sorry that I'm upset but we pay good money for *E ($70-$80) a month and I expect Entertainment programming.

If you can get the signal for 121, get a SuperDISH upgrade for $50 or less through DISH Network and get KBS for free. If you want Arirang, then just create a Favorites list and leave JSTV out.

I have a Dish 500 and another dish for the Korean channels, what exactly is a SuperDish? Do they replace all your dishes or just one? Sorry to be so stupid on this matter but I don't keep up with all the new tech updates. Are you saying that I will only need one dish instead of two?

Thanks for the info!

Pearl

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Update:

WOW TV now available to subs on Ch. 655 on 61.5/148 and Ch. 661 on 121. I see it on our retailer receiver. I'd think that it's now available in the Korean Basic and Variety packages. The EPG info. seems to show that this is a business-related channel, but a little different than MBN? Just thought I'd share. No other news related to other channels or MBC yet. If you care for South Asian channels, B4U Music is also available now. :)

WOW!!! I am so un-impressed - I doubt I will stay with Dish much longer.

I had posted few comments few weeks back - and I am surprised people are still talking about DISH - as if there is a chance for DISH to retain Korean customers. Come on - our time would be better spent in talking to DirecTV folks to offer incentives so that ALL DISH Korean customers can move over.

I talked to both KISB and TanTV and begged for DVR - the simple answer was NO - as if they don't care (and frankly I don't think the lady who answered the phone knew what a DVR was). Who is in charge of customer service and marketing at DISH, KISB or TanTV?!?!?!?! Come on...

Enough is enough - let's all stop talking about DISH (DISH is not worth our time IMO) and try to get a deal with DirecTV.

Bomool I would encourage you to keep on trying. If they know how many of us, Korean Americans and otherwise, are pissed and realize how vital MBC is they will have no choice but to respond and open up negotiations again. I really think that if all the Dish Korean American customers who have called into customer service complaining shot Charlie an e-mail wanting MBC or SBS back they'd be shocked.

pearl15_1999 said:
I have a Dish 500 and another dish for the Korean channels, what exactly is a SuperDish? Do they replace all your dishes or just one? Sorry to be so stupid on this matter but I don't keep up with all the new tech updates. Are you saying that I will only need one dish instead of two?

Thanks for the info!

Pearl

Well, it depends on what you have the 2nd dish for. If it's ONLY for your Korean channels (which would be the 61.5 or 148 wing satellites), then the SuperDISH 121 satellite will just replace your 2 dishes on your home. But if your 2nd dish also serves as a dish to view must-carry secondary local channels, then you should replace your main Dish500 that gives you 110/119 with the SuperDISH121 and get a DPP44 switch to tie both the SuperDISH121 and 2nd dish together. Or if you'd rather give up your must-carry secondary local channels, just have a SuperDISH121 up. Also, if your 2nd dish is pointed at 61.5 and you're watching Voom channels on it, I'd advise against taking it down.

Update:

The Buddhist channel is supposed to be BBS, Music programming channel is supposed to be m.net and Movie programming channel is supposed to be OCN. No word on when they're coming though I'm hearing by end of this year. What do you think of these channels? Feedback would be appreciated for not only you but also other Korean programming population. Thanks.

Update:

The Buddhist channel is supposed to be BBS, Music programming channel is supposed to be m.net and Movie programming channel is supposed to be OCN. No word on when they're coming though I'm hearing by end of this year. What do you think of these channels? Feedback would be appreciated for not only you but also other Korean programming population. Thanks.

OMG! M-Net! Do I have to get all that other junk to pick it up though? Truthfully I still want MBC and "Music Camp" but M-Net IS enticing. Too bad the rest of the programming offers sound like crap, but then I'm mainly interested in MBC and Arirang. What's the video game programming? Nothing as stupid as G4 right? I want to hear about the latest Softmax and Gravity releases and not some American crap.

Feedback

Well all religious channels I dont' watch even though I believe in Buddhism.
M.net and OCN, they are fairly well known channels.

Then again I am not in late 30s so I am not in the age group who watch
M.net music channel (Well aren't they like MTV, with all those half naked Korean girls). But I will definitely watch one of those Lee, Hyori's music video ;) My wife would love that, too.

OCN. I might watch from time to time, but it is like Cinemax. You dont' watch movie all the time right? But it is good to have one of these channels. But it still feels like it is a good option to have but not required channel like SBS or MBC.

I think we still like to have a channel like MBC or SBS where Dramas and Shows on.

As a side note, I downloaded X-man (SBS show) and burn it on my DVD-RW and watched it thru DVD player last night. It has been a while since I had that much laugh. How long has SBS off the air?

Thank you, Summit.

Update:

Channels

Yes some of them are junk.
Game channel, as you have guessed, they are 24 hour game channel.
They show you game playing screen most of the time and gamecaster (sportscaster?) talks about how good the game player's reflex is. All I can say is grow up and get a real job. Many Korean boys and girls think the game player is real viable career path.

ps. One think I noticed is that how youung Koreans love to use Enligh words even though there are perfectly fine Korean word choices they have. Many people think English should be national language along with Korean. You can safely blame MBC, SBS and KBS for it.

Sarang said:
OMG! M-Net! Do I have to get all that other junk to pick it up though? Truthfully I still want MBC and "Music Camp" but M-Net IS enticing. Too bad the rest of the programming offers sound like crap, but then I'm mainly interested in MBC and Arirang. What's the video game programming? Nothing as stupid as G4 right? I want to hear about the latest Softmax and Gravity releases and not some American crap.

tru64ufs said:
Yes some of them are junk.
Game channel, as you have guessed, they are 24 hour game channel.
They show you game playing screen most of the time and gamecaster (sportscaster?) talks about how good the game player's reflex is. All I can say is grow up and get a real job. Many Korean boys and girls think the game player is real viable career path.

ps. One think I noticed is that how youung Koreans love to use Enligh words even though there are perfectly fine Korean word choices they have. Many people think English should be national language along with Korean. You can safely blame MBC, SBS and KBS for it.

I didn't know that. Yeah then I guess the game channel is worthless to me. I was hoping to hear of some game reviews and video. Granted there aren't that many big name Korean games that exist but one company I have the feeling could slaughter Square and bring back feeling of old Square.
Well with M-Net I'm concerned about shows like "Music Camp" and do they have HD feed Dish might pick up? I would like to watch K-Pop m/v's in HD if possible. Also with OCN, do they have an English subtitle feed? Figured I might as well ask. Also is this a straight movie channel or do they air commercials?

tru64ufs said:
As a side note, I downloaded X-man (SBS show) and burn it on my DVD-RW and watched it thru DVD player last night. It has been a while since I had that much laugh. How long has SBS off the air?
tru64ufs,

Where do you go and download that program? Are you going to SBS site or file sharing site? Any input would be appreciated. X-man is one of my favorites! Even my 6-years old son loves it.

Also didn't someone say you can download HD programs from some websites? From where?

This is just a suggestion from me. I don't know how many HD feeds are around but as an example of extra stuff to offer in HD and benefit Korean Americans and people like me in the process.
I've already given previous suggestions but why doesn't Dish see if they could get MBC-HD to offer an English subtitle feed and offer it as part of an extra suite of channels in HD? They could charge more and I'm sure Dish would be more amiable to paying more. This way it satisfies HD feed owners as well as Korean American owners of Dish. I'm thinking Arirang HD, M-Net HD and MBC HD, possibly even KBS World HD but I don't know how that would fly since I've heard it stinks. M-Net HD I don't think would require many subtitles since it's music.

priv. msg

bomool said:
tru64ufs,

Where do you go and download that program? Are you going to SBS site or file sharing site? Any input would be appreciated. X-man is one of my favorites! Even my 6-years old son loves it.

Also didn't someone say you can download HD programs from some websites? From where?

Hi.
Please send me a private message.
Thanks.

Finally I got a word from my dealer.

DirecTV will get MBC soon. They are in testing now.
Also DirecTV is talking to KBS.

SBS+YTN on DirecTV is $14.99 and MBC is unkown at this point.

Now let's wait until we have $200 rebate from DirecTV. Could be happening
in the middle of November.

It could be better if Picture Quality on DirecTV is better than on par with that of Dish. But I heard that PQ on DirecTV is worse.
KBS/SBS PQ on Dish network already pretty bad on my Plasma.

Well we'll get SBS and MBC anyways.
Can't have them all.

tru64ufs said:

It could be better if Picture Quality on DirecTV is better than on par with that of Dish. But I heard that PQ on DirecTV is worse.

Can't have them all.

That's great news. My DISH term ends on Nov 11th - perfect timing - so I will stay for couple of extra weeks and I should be set to switch to DirecTV - hopefully with the $200 rebate. I could totally see KBS-America being on all basic satellite/cable package. That was the goal of KBS-America to begin with (to reach out to more viewers as part of basic package).

I do see all the threads about MPEG4 rollout - why would this be such a big deal for us? Does it have better quality? Saves space? Everyone is very excited about it but I am not so sure why. :confused:

bomool said:
That's great news. My DISH term ends on Nov 11th - perfect timing - so I will stay for couple of extra weeks and I should be set to switch to DirecTV - hopefully with the $200 rebate. I could totally see KBS-America being on all basic satellite/cable package. That was the goal of KBS-America to begin with (to reach out to more viewers as part of basic package).

I do see all the threads about MPEG4 rollout - why would this be such a big deal for us? Does it have better quality? Saves space? Everyone is very excited about it but I am not so sure why. :confused:

It's basically more HD bomool, something you won't be seeing with Internationals. Don't worry FoxTV will drop the ball, be morons and not carry MBC-HD when I think E* could've offered them some cherry like that or AznTV to really get I-Channel distributors to bite. Just wait, AznTV will be on FoxTV and if it isn't I say I-Channel squandered their chance to force one of their channels on FoxTV.
As it stands on HD I think it would be smart to take some foreign networks that broadcast a bunch of their programs in HD, COUGHJapanCOUGH, and offer a subtitled English feed in the U.S. since right now VOOM has their hands tied costwise trying to produce some.
The basic jist is there will soon be around if not 39 HD channels offered in the U.S. bomool, with E* offering 28 of those soon, possibly more.

Sarang said:
It's basically more HD bomool, something you won't be seeing with Internationals. Don't worry FoxTV will drop the ball, be morons and not carry MBC-HD when I think E* could've offered them some cherry like that or AznTV to really get I-Channel distributors to bite. Just wait, AznTV will be on FoxTV and if it isn't I say I-Channel squandered their chance to force one of their channels on FoxTV.
As it stands on HD I think it would be smart to take some foreign networks that broadcast a bunch of their programs in HD, COUGHJapanCOUGH, and offer a subtitled English feed in the U.S. since right now VOOM has their hands tied costwise trying to produce some.
The basic jist is there will soon be around if not 39 HD channels offered in the U.S. bomool, with E* offering 28 of those soon, possibly more.

OIC - if DISH was unable to keep what they already had (SBS), I highly doubt that they will be smart enough attract any Korean HDs. Also by now, entire Korean broadcasting knows about what happened and I doubt any Korean Tier 1 broadcasting company will work with DISH in the future. So if there is any chance of someone carrying Korean HDs, I say that would be DirecTV IMO.

I read also that Verizon's fiber service is supposed to carry ALL existing HDs? All I want is few basic HDs and the WorldSport so I can see English Premier league in HD!!! Is that too much to ask? :mad:

At this point, I am waiting for the right time to move to DirecTV - I am in Southern California and I see that MPEG4 from DirecTV might be coming soon to this area. But I am not sure if I want to wait more just for MPEG4.

:confused:

Wait if you want HD from D*. The $200 rebate for HD receivers start on Nov. 25. Plus, wait for the MPEG4 HD boxes as you'll see VERY FEW, if any new HD channels come out in the current MPEG2 standard.

With regards to KBS, I doubt D* will get it anytime soon. DISH and KBS are pretty tightly knit now and I have yet to see cable carry KBS as a basic channel for free. But if KBS is headed that way, then you should expect KBS on D* as well as cable.

With regards to HD internationals, that'd be very tough in the short term. The reason is that the international programming market is a niche market in itself and very few would pay a premium to watch the HD versions of the channel. And I'm talking maybe double what they're paying now. As you may know or not, internationals on DISH are very compressed and therefore not much space is given to each channel. If they bring an HD international channel, they'd have to get rid of the existing international channels or put the HD international channel on a separate bird. Very unlikely in the near future. It's not like all the international broadcasters are already broadcasting in HD anyway. So like the DVR issue at those smaller companies offering Korean programming, you'll run into an HD issue with E* and D*. Heck, they don't even have all the American programming in HD yet (ESPN2 HD missing on E* and TNT HD missing on D*, for example) so you'd be hard pressed to see internationals on HD anytime soon.

tru64ufs said:

Can't have them all.

YTN is in free preview so don't be surprised if it goes off-air later if you just have SBS. It may or may not be in a package later. ;) But SBS and MBC combo is a very strong possiblity. No dates and prices have been set, though end of Nov. early Dec. is the word on the street.

Yep, D* compresses more than E*. But SBS still looks decent on our D* receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts