SC vrs. Bell / SD and HD Picture Quality / Who is better?

I have Detroit/Rochester as my network feed and Spokane as my alacarte deal thing. Does this mean I am simsubbed? Should I swap the 2 and make Spokane my network feed and Detroit/Rochester the alacarte?

doesnt matter in this case...it goes by address

If you have a Toronto/Hamilton address yes you are simsubbed on most of the US nets during east coast prime time (8-11 EDT). The Spokane stations you aren't since they are on from 11-2 EDT.

The only time you are simsubbed on a Spokane station would be NFL (if the game on Spokane Fox or CBS is the same as on CH or Global Toronto)

I had just Spokane (didnt have the east coast feed) and only got simsubbed when NFL was on (in the above case)

I don't have BEV, but I do have *C. The SD channels are, on average, equal to or better than most of the over-compressed SD channels on E*. Additionally, on average, the HD channels appear to be on par with E*...although direct comparisons between the two are few - it's just my overall impression of the service so far.

I would like to add that I had VOOM, and I feel the PQ of the Motorola DSR-505 and VOOM DSR-500 is very similar to my Dish 811. However my old Dish 942 and subsequent ViP962s provide a superior PQ. I'm satisfied with *C PQ, but I feel the experience could be improved with newer/updated hardware IMO.

Since I'm about to become a Dish distant net's refugee on December 1st, I'm very much interested in switching. Can someone explain to me or point me in the right direction on the following:
1. What is the negatives to simsubbing and why should I care ?
2. Do I need to have a made up address to get either service ?
3. I would presume all the the equipment needed for either service is a self-install project.
4. Looking to upgrade to HD as we just got a new HD 37" LCD. Does SC now have a stable HD DVR reciever available ?

Thank you all !!!

I'd be interested in doing a side by side comparison of SC and E-Vu just for curiosity solely for SD. It's been probably 6-7 years since I had a SC subscription and back then the PQ on Express-vu was marginally better. I have a friend with SC with a 51" rear crt projo and imo most of his channels look awefull, not that E-Vu doesn't have it's share of bad ones. I'd just like to take the two systems, similar equipment and either two identical tvs or possibly do a split screen on my 51" widescreen rear crt set. Then take some pictures........I know that due to the different type of compression used by both companies, the artifacts look different. My big thing was to look at something with a lot of moving water, like a fishing show. SC would almost always turn it into a grey smeared mess.....E-Vu, depending on the channel would look much smoother.

I think I can come up with the equipment to do an experiment, I own an E-vu 6100 reciever and I know a few people with SC so I'm willing to do the experiment. I'm not familiar with what SC has for hardware these days so if someone could suggest an equivalent SC reciever to my 6100 I'll do the test. Also if someone could post certain channels of interest, be it HD or SD etc. I'd really like to know as well.

Inno,

Unfortunately for me I found that the 6100 gave a garbage SD picture. If it wasn't for the 9200 I would tend to agree with others that SD quality is crap on ExpressVU.

Kryspy

Yeah, I'm not real impressed with the SD from it. I hate that there's so much difference between units.....imo the quality of SD should be the same across the board regardless of which reciever you have. I'd like to have a 9200 but it's not in my budget........and realistically, I don't really need it.....there's only one of me in the house ('cept when my son is there) and I don't record a whole lot.

I had both Bell and Star choice at the same time, this was about 3 years ago, but at that time Star choice killed Bell for pq, bell was unwatchable, I have not seen star choice in a while but saw Bell HD the other day and saw a ton of macroblocking I'll stick with 4dtv :)

I would much rather support Star choice anyway, Bell has a big piracy problem, and they are causing many losses for other company's, I guess it's market share they are after, and there customer service stinks, whatever system you go with get a bigger dish, it will help with rain fade.

I had both Bell and Star choice at the same time, this was about 3 years ago, but at that time Star choice killed Bell for pq, bell was unwatchable, I have not seen star choice in a while but saw Bell HD the other day and saw a ton of macroblocking I'll stick with 4dtv :)

I would much rather support Star choice anyway, Bell has a big piracy problem, and they are causing many losses for other company's, I guess it's market share they are after, and there customer service stinks, whatever system you go with get a bigger dish, it will help with rain fade.

I see you have the same 5215(15 deg.) and 6600A(.5) as me. I'm using a sidecar.
10' one piece perforated spun aluminum dish by AMS made in Je me souviens. :)

With all the Star Choice sd receivers still in use and the CompressVu sd receivers in use, Star Choice still and always has looked much better than CompressVu.
One has to spend a lot of bucks for a CompressVu HD receiver to improve their picture.

Since I'm about to become a Dish distant net's refugee on December 1st, I'm very much interested in switching. Can someone explain to me or point me in the right direction on the following:
1. What is the negatives to simsubbing and why should I care ?
here is a l;ink on simsubbing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simsub

Basically the Canadian channels in most cases override the network feed so you get Canadian commercials and in some cases, not the best picture or ugly bugs in the corner. Bell simsubs everyone. SC does it by the box so as an example, I get no simsubs on my Spokane feeds because legally they can only simsub when the locals in your "area" have the same show on at the same time as a US net.

2. Do I need to have a made up address to get either service ?
you need a Canadian address. If you dont have one, you can go through a broker
3. I would presume all the the equipment needed for either service is a self-install project.
yes.
4. Looking to upgrade to HD as we just got a new HD 37" LCD. Does SC now have a stable HD DVR reciever available ?

Thank you all !!!
SC has the 505 which is a stable unit. The 530 DVR is not (lots of bugs)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts