Sci-Fi HD...when can we watch?

Hmmm.

I had a horse and carriage and used to compete in driving events with her until recently. Lost her in the bankruptcy, but that's another story :(

Been there, done that (bankruptcy - not the horse and carriage thing). That's sad, but I hope that you came out the other end doing OK, or, at least rebuilding.

The point is that I used to come in contact with a lot of Amish families during events, auctions, etc. Not nearly as idyllic as you paint it. Although it is dangerous to generalize, my impression is that the Amish are a very pragmatic lot in terms of their beliefs. For example, every business card I have been given has had a phone number. They may not allow phones in their house, but many have it hanging in a box in the front yard, with a very loud bell. Shocked me the first time the fellow I was talking to whipped a cell out of his pocket to take a call.

They don't drive, but when they came in from Iowa for the big auction, the families hired big RVs and drivers to bring them in in style. The carriages they sell use space age alloys, dual hydraulic disc brakes and are constructed with laser cut tubing, mig welded and powder coated.

As an aside, I would never personally purchase a horse trained by the Amish folks I knew. They get results, but I feel they are too harsh and impatient. The result is a horse that is obedient, but one that has no joy.

Yes, I know what you mean. I think it's important to note (though you appear to know the difference) that not all who appear to be Amish truly are. Some may be Mennonite, and I believe have a somewhat different set of rules under which they live by. But, at least in the Lancaster/Intercourse area of PA, I think the tourism trade has perhaps pushed them a bit toward at least some of the "workarounds" you mention. Certainly, their shops are lit with electricity, and in some cases, I've seen electronic cash registers, cell phones, etc. Still, I'd like to think that their core principles are intact. Having said that, my apologies to the Amish and Mennonite folks, as I'm sure I'm just one more person with opinions based on my intermittent peeks into their world while travelling. I really don't know.

Finally, a picture, because I still miss her:
teressa_drive.JPG

Thanks for sharing the pic. She's a beauty!

Mark

Not at all.

There is a sub-genre of sci-fi, generally apocalyptic, with the main theme of "technology goes out of control and kills all of mankind except of course our protagonist who must figure out how to survive" - in these plotlines the protagonist will invariably encounter a group that was around before the downfall, have always abhored technology, and have been proven, because of the aforementioned destruction of mankind, to actually have been right in their beliefs.

This place is sometimes bizarre, but I love your response! Hmm.....is that bizarre? :D

I haven't checked in on this thread in a few days and MAN did it take a left turn!!! :D :D

Still waiting for SciFi in HD. And USA too for that matter. I keep checking once a week, hopefully. Seriously, though, the lack of those two channels will not make me jump ship. They will come along eventually. Look how long it took to get Universal HD, and how many people moaned and complained until it finally appeared. Today I almost never watch it.

i think there going to turn them on on the 31st, JUST so they can say the had XX ammount of HD Channels in 2007

Nope, I think the earlier speculation was right. They will roll out SciFi, USA, and Speed Channel HD when they introduce the new $10 HD pack. These channels may or may not be in that pack, and it will all come as part of a general price increase in February.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)