Sci-Fi HD...when can we watch?

Assuming they wanted the standard amount for something like that (no guarantee), simply making Enterprise would have been extremely expensive. And Sci-Fi was already in the middle of making season 2 (I think) of BSG. There probably wasnt enough money to do both. If this is so, Sci-Fi made a very good business decision to say the least. Spend alot of money on your own very popular and critically acclaimed show, or spend alot of money picking up someone elses failed show: Not much of a choice unfortunately because when Star Trek is well made its very good.

yeah but NBC/Universal owns Scifi, wouldn't they have the deep pocket backing?

It would have been nice to watch the "Monk" Christmas episode in HD, but we made do with Zoom-o-Vision.
You should have been a little more patient.

Monk eps are repeated over and over and over.

The Monk Christmas Ep will be repeated 12/18 and several times after that... (same with Psych for those who watch that).

yeah but NBC/Universal owns Scifi, wouldn't they have the deep pocket backing?

I dont know the mechanics of parent companies but I expect if a cable channel wants more money it has to make a very good case for it. Then the question becomes whether or not NBC/Universal thought Enterprise was worth it. Considering that in contrast they would have full ownership for any rebroadcast and DVD rights for BSG its no competition. So I guess we can assume the answer was 'no'.

Didnt think about the writers strike. However, since it has been many months since the last new episode (Razor not included) maybe all the new ones have had scripts ready to go for awhile now. Of course any rewrites would be tough.

dang, union or not, if I was a writer on THAT show it would be such an honor I doubt I could go on strike.

I dont know the mechanics of parent companies but I expect if a cable channel wants more money it has to make a very good case for it. Then the question becomes whether or not NBC/Universal thought Enterprise was worth it. Considering that in contrast they would have full ownership for any rebroadcast and DVD rights for BSG its no competition. So I guess we can assume the answer was 'no'.

Didnt think about the writers strike. However, since it has been many months since the last new episode (Razor not included) maybe all the new ones have had scripts ready to go for awhile now. Of course any rewrites would be tough.

BSG's production has been cut short due to the strike. They do not shoot with enough lead time to have had the entire season done. Production was scheduled to shoot through March (10 eps done so far, scheduled for 12 more). The strike is affecting every episodic on SciFi except the current season of SGA, which has been on a shelf for a while due to the way SciFi scheduled the series broadcast window alongside Sky for 06/07. The strike will most likely affect the next season of SGA, however; esp if it continues into Jan/Feb.

The way that economics work in television, there is no way SciFi would have been able to pay for Enterprise with their current strategy/budget structure (they would have been required to pony up part of the production cost in order to keep it on the air, in addition to the license fee) and make that money back in any sensible fashion. The economics of tv are based on risk and minimizing your exposure if the show fails, and it's ridiculously complex. There is no chance they would have taken on Enterprise, esp with the ratings the way they were in the final season. Keep in mind SciFi partners on everything, aside from some of the low budget original movies they air. Majority of SciFi's episodic is partnered with Sky in the UK, and things like Tin Man are partnership sponsored - very little of what SciFi airs is coming straight from their seemingly deep corporate pockets, and they rarely own programming on their own outright - they always co-own with someone else. Right now, SciFi kicks in 2/3 of SGA's ~$1.8-2m per ep budget. Although the show is owned by MGM, SciFi does have a complicated deal where they make their money back. BSG is paid for within the Uni Media Studios envelope, but it's a complex formula of money coming in from different entities under that umbrella, each with their own agenda. Last I've heard, BSG was coming in on the lower side of $1-1.5m per ep. There's some outside money also coming in, as well, from Canada and the UK. And all of this pays for HD broadcast that will hopefully make it onto Dish screens this week. (lame attempt to tie it back to the thread!)

Last edited:
According to a television producer from LA that I talked to, about $1.2 million per episode for Enterprise for the last season.

I was in high school when the original BSG was on ABC. As I recall it, back then it was the most expensive weekly series ever produced up to that time at $1 million per episode. I guess $1 million didn't buy as much then as it does today.

I was in high school when the original BSG was on ABC. As I recall it, back then it was the most expensive weekly series ever produced up to that time at $1 million per episode. I guess $1 million didn't buy as much then as it does today.
Back then, the ships were actual models (built by John Dykstra I believe). They had to invent all the CGI that we all now take for granted.

Found this for John Dykstra. John Dykstra - Battlestar Wiki

And,back then they had actors,with some talent! The new episodes are not even worth watching,in my opinion! I tried to get my local cable company to put on Scifi for several years,mainly for BSG. Now that I have a dish,I see what I wasn't missing.

And,back then they had actors,with some talent! The new episodes are not even worth watching,in my opinion! I tried to get my local cable company to put on Scifi for several years,mainly for BSG. Now that I have a dish,I see what I wasn't missing.

Your joking right?

NightRyder

Yeah really StarBuck Rocks! She was even nice enough to send me a autograph photo. :)

Yeah old show was good but I like the new version allot better and StarBuck being a chick was cool idea.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts