Scott, any new HD channels coming to E*?

As that is the metric that DIRECTV has been using for some time now to advertise the number channels that they plan to end up with, it behooves DISH Network to use the same method for determining channel count. Both companies have been counting HD PPV channels in the total for a while now.
And D* includes the NFL Sunday Ticket channels in their count too, don't they? Or is that the same as their HD PPV channels?

Scott why do you think DISH has approached hd additions the way they have so far? They have been tight lipped and they act like they don't want to tell anyone at all about what is coming. Is it because they don't want to promise anything because of the negotiation over price to carry the hd versions of most sd channels? I thought that the hd versions were already negotiated in the price that they pay for the sd versions already.

IT just seems that Directv has become synonomous with the most HD and they have very little so far and DISH has the most hd and no one remembers that they are even in the competition. How can they possibly benefit from this quite approach they have taken to adding hd channels?

Scott why do you think DISH has approached hd additions the way they have so far? They have been tight lipped and they act like they don't want to tell anyone at all about what is coming. Is it because they don't want to promise anything because of the negotiation over price to carry the hd versions of most sd channels? I thought that the hd versions were already negotiated in the price that they pay for the sd versions already.

IT just seems that Directv has become synonomous with the most HD and they have very little so far and DISH has the most hd and no one remembers that they are even in the competition. How can they possibly benefit from this quite approach they have taken to adding hd channels?

I agree, when i tell people i watch HDTV, they ask me if i have Direct TV. When I tell them its DishNetwork, some never heard of dish HD or surprise that dish has more HD channels than DirectTV. Dish should advertise more that they are currently the leaders of HD, or that atleast they are in the game of providing HD channels.

I do agree that both Direct and Dish will have about the same hd channles by the end of the year. I do think that Direct will dissapoint a alot of people with mis leading a lot of people from the start. They did promise 150 and now it has been knocked down to 100. Alot of the channels promised do not exist yet. I would hate to be a csr when the Direct hd channels do launch. I have a feeling there will be a lot of unhappy calls made to Direct.

I do think that Direct will dissapoint a alot of people with mis leading a lot of people from the start. They did promise 150 and now it has been knocked down to 100. Alot of the channels promised do not exist yet. I would hate to be a csr when the Direct hd channels do launch. I have a feeling there will be a lot of unhappy calls made to Direct.

Not as many as you would think, a lot of HDTV owners think they are already watching HD so if DirecTV says it is, they will easily believe it. The marketing is perfect for the unwashed masses. If you have DirecTV, you have HD. Its that simple. Doesn't matter if it isn't true or if it is over compressed or even stretch-o-vision.

Well if marketing means no one barely knows your name in regards to HD, then YES, DISH has one of the worst marketing firms out there.

Then again the fact that they offer FREE hd dvr upgrades to new subs, maybe why they have more subs added per quarter than Directv . THey still are charging 299.00 to lease an hd dvr that isn't as good as the 622/722 dvrs and only records 2 channels( either two sats or one ota & 1 sat) at a time rather than 3 ( 1 ota and 2 sat ) like the dish hd dvr does.

I think that Directv's Commercials get the attention of people out there but once they see the price they will have to pay to get the hd dvr, they turn to DISH . MAybe that is their genuis in DISH's strategy. Let Directv do all the advertising and once they see the price to upgrade to hd they go to DISH as the alternative. DISH then shows the Free upgrade to hd dvr to the potential subs that want hd and a dvr. DISH then benefits as the cheaper better tv for all competitor . So DISH is using the "sloppy seconds" way of advertising through Directv .:eureka

Hey I guess it is working for them. :D

I just hope a pricing increase isn't included in the 'big announcement'.

Although if Dish were to offer an 'HD-only' tier that'd be great. I resent having to pay for all these SD channels I never watch!

Scott,

Could you please plant a bug in somebody's ear to get the rest of the RSNs uplinked that they have placeholders for? Like, say, FSN-Bay Area?

I'm not asking for much . . . it's not even a 24/7 HD channel . . . my teams all suck and they don't take up much bandwidth, I promise!

I'll even give you a penguin head to look at! :tux:

Thanks in advance!

I honestly believe that Dish and DirecTV will be neck in neck with HD channels, the only two I am not expecting on Dish is Chiller HD and BTN HD. I fully expect channels like HBO HD Pack and Stars HD pack to be on Dish by the end of the year.
]

At some point you have to ask, where are the transponders (for E*) coming from?

Unless E* has something up their sleeve to massively clear out their conus HD LiL transponders (HD LiL to 6 per transponder? Rainbow 1/Echostar 12 in spotbeam mode? move some of the 129 markets to spotbeams on Echostar 10?) I don't see how they can even think about adding the premium multiplex channels.

You know, Lifetime Movie Network HD is available now...but I have noticed that Dish's ads claim to be the 'true' HD leader, does this mean, by saying 'true' they will not take a SD version and upconvert it like Directv? So is this smart or not? I'd be very unhappy if they took an SD channel, stretched it out and called it HD like Directv will do...think about it!

And come to think about it, HBO Pack in HD isn't available yet, nor is Starz!...so I don't look for this announcement to be so huge, I hate getting my hopes up anyways! Check lyngsat.com and you will find out exactly what HD channels are really available.

Yeah Starz is in the progress of moving things over to MPEG4 for some of their channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)